Home

Why does it take EA a year to make minimal changes?

This is a discussion on Why does it take EA a year to make minimal changes? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-01-2005, 07:28 AM   #41
H*p H*p 4 H*rs*m*n

BigTigLSU's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: Why does it take EA a year to make minimal changes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erv
People, there is no excuse for EA not fixing stupid BS consecutive games. Take pass interference. The cheating defensive packages. The INTRO. It's complete s*** for EA to be ignorant enough to add 5 seconds to a four year old intro. It's obvious EA's football staff isn't nearly as talented as the baseball one, but still I'm sicking of paying $50 for games with warts.

And then add race for the Heisman like the other portion of the game is flawless. Makes me wonder who is in the think tank for EA
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-01-2005, 08:37 AM   #42
Hall Of Fame

Jistic's Arena

OVR: 28

Do you guys actually believe Coca-Cola would change the formula? They did it once, and what happened? PROTESTS! Seriously it happened in the 80's.

EA is BIGGER than the sports market. They cater to the widest demographic possible. They would be STUPID to change games that own on the sales charts. Would you really tinker with a business model that is a money machine? If you answered yes, then I hope you're not in the business field.

Believe me they will come out with something mind blowing for next-gen (which I'm sure some people who are bitter at them will still hate on)and get everyone all excited again. Once they have that base I'm sure they won't change much AGAIN from year to year. And their sales will go through the roof.

I know that there are those of you that really don't want to hear it, but EA makes some great games. THey truly do. And they have been for YEARS. They know what they're doing.

Old 07-01-2005, 08:57 AM   #43
MVP

UNC_Pete's Arena

OVR: 22

I suggest anyone to take a 4 year level programming class in college and see how complex it is just to make Pac Man..
Old 07-01-2005, 09:01 AM   #44
H*p H*p 4 H*rs*m*n

BigTigLSU's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC_Pete
I suggest anyone to take a 4 year level programming class in college and see how complex it is just to make Pac Man..

All this programming ( I have programming experience) foolishness would be cool if EA never added anything to thier games or started from scratch every year but programming also exists already. MAdden has the code written already for Defensive hot routes. so whats the excuse, and pass intereference please just increase the tendency that it is called.
Old 07-01-2005, 09:03 AM   #45
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifiok25
ODogg, you make some very important points in your posts on this topic. Making the game isn't as easy as people think it is. I have been very critical of the game engine but I never understood why they couldn't change it that much. Now I understand. Thanks for clearing up any questions I had.
Thanks ifiok25! I'm glad I was able to explain it. I never really understood just how short the dev cycle was either until I read that article (I too was under the impression it was a full year).

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-01-2005, 09:14 AM   #46
Go Wings!

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
I think those might be valid, if either EA had limited resources, or the game was in it's infancy.

Neither is true, so fundamental things like run blocking, framerates, speed cheats, should not ever be issues.

correct...that's the stuff they should be able to tackle in a 7 month period...it's just the people that want a new graphics and physics engine every year that make me laugh, i mean that's impossible in 7 months, you usually get one engine upgrade in the middle of a console's life, that's it
Old 07-01-2005, 09:24 AM   #47
MVP

UNC_Pete's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtiggalsu
All this programming ( I have programming experience) foolishness would be cool if EA never added anything to thier games or started from scratch every year but programming also exists already. MAdden has the code written already for Defensive hot routes. so whats the excuse, and pass intereference please just increase the tendency that it is called.
Madden and NCAA have used different engines for a few years now..but I do agree with the PI tendancy..that shouldnt be too difficult..

Last edited by UNC_Pete; 07-01-2005 at 09:27 AM.
Old 07-01-2005, 10:40 AM   #48
MVP

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
Thanks ifiok25! I'm glad I was able to explain it. I never really understood just how short the dev cycle was either until I read that article (I too was under the impression it was a full year).
What article? From what I've been told, they never stop working on the game. Even when they've completed the current year's game, they go right into working on it for next year. So in the last month or so that they finish 2006, for example, while we are all waiting for the final version to be pressed and packaged, they are already at work on 2007. They don't take months off. At least not the core team of developers. The testers don't work year round, I know.

It's also important to remember not to be so hard on the team that works on the game. Many decisions that are made about the game are out of their hands. The corporate bigwigs call a lot of the shots. The guys down in the trenches have to work within the confines of what they say. And just like with any company, you can bet the development team doesn't always agree with management's decisions.

So, usually, if there's anyone to be pissed at about the game, it's the guys in the board rooms. Maybe they told the team not to include certain features, to hold something back for future versions. Maybe they wouldn't approve hiring an adequate amount of testers, which could help in catching some bugs that might otherwise slip through. Maybe they limit the amount of programmers which could have helped in fixing known bugs.

I know it's been said a time or two before, but it's always important to keep in mind that we, who frequent these video game websites, are in the vast minority when it comes to who buys these games. It's unfortunate, and it often works against us when it comes to getting the things we want in the game, but that is the way it is.

As for 2005, the drops weren't a huge problem for me, but I don't doubt that they were for many people. At first I noticed them like everyone else, but then I made some adjustments to how I played QB and it really helped the situation. It does bug me, though, when people refuse to acknowledge all the real improvements and additions that 2005 had. 70 man rosters, being able to recruit 'Athletes', the ability to change player positions, Transfers, All-Conference Team awards. Those were all HUGE additions for me, personally, as I had been wanting them for years.

Also, were the additions of Composure, Home Field Advantage, and Program Integrity (although they were all a bit overdone for my taste, but you have to start somewhere). These are all just the additions I can think of off the top of my head at work, but I'm sure there a few others.

Anyways, sorry for the long *** post. This is what happens when you don't make a new post for every thought that comes into your head, but instead wait for things to accumulate and then pour it out.

Last edited by ycbs; 07-01-2005 at 10:52 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »