Home

Graphics versus Gameplay

This is a discussion on Graphics versus Gameplay within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 04:19 PM   #17
Pro

OVR: 7
Re: Graphics versus Gameplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpup
for 50 bucks, i expect them to get both right.
Exactly. Its really very simple. Folks that are fans of auto racing sims expect the vehicles to look like the vehicles and perform like the vehicles they are modeled after. VC understood this concept, TO A POINT, when it came to their ESPN football series. They tried to make the game look as realistic as possible. As I have stated a million times, they had one fatal flaw. The running animations. As good as the game looked and played (although it had its faults of course), the running animations in the open field did not come close to matching the stride found in the EA football games. That was always one of the complaints of Madden supporters and I think a valid complaint. I remember being blown away by the graphical element of ESPN last year, only to have to admit that they still did not get the open field animations on par with EA. Hence, they could never quite defeat the "giant".

I recommended a few years ago that VC put out two versions of its game. One version. "The GM Edition" for those interested in being "Virtual GMs" with ability to create stadiums, set prices of popcorn, cribs, etc. Folks who could care less whether the graphics or gameplay were up to par in that version, could simply focus on all of the front office stuff that seems to be all the rage for the "new age football gamer". Version #2, "The Competition Edition" would take it back to simple times. The most realistic gameplay and graphics. No cribs, no building stadiums, no "virtual conversations" with prospective recruits, etc. Just "if its in the game, its IN the game." Period. All the memory that got used up by that extraneous "fluff" would be used to create the most realistic game possible.
Old 07-11-2005, 04:20 PM   #18
Stayin Alive

GAMEC0CK2002's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiWanJenkins
I'd like to ignore all NFL game comparisons, because they are two completely different games in the real world. Gamecock brought up the point that presentation is very important in a college recreation. I'd just like to know if it outweighs gameplay. It's obviously not possible to have both at this point; both EA and VC showed that. Even the 2k series had its major flaws, and which was superior is a different debate.
You can't really ignore comparisons to ESPN's NFL when talking about presentation. To compare EA's NCAA 2006 to a bad port done back in 2003 when Sega was financially strapped for cash doesn't make sense. Gameplay is always a first priority, but it's pretty much useless if the game doesn't have the presentation to make it all authentic.
Old 07-11-2005, 04:23 PM   #19
ObiWanJenkins

OVR:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmood88
Why would you have to choose?
Because the question I am asking is what is more important in an NCAA game, the presentation or the gameplay? Is it really that hard to answer?

Old 07-11-2005, 04:23 PM   #20
Banned

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmood88
And with college football, presentation and atmosphere is even more important than it is in the nfl.

oh yes definitely. Let me clarify, when i got nfl 2k, i was so wowed by the whole game that i couldnt stand to nitpick, thats the only time ive really just been backhanded by graphics while they told me "shut up bitch and bask in our glory"

now obviously the games now have better graphics than a 6 year old dreamcast game, but it was just that nothing ever like it was out before. THe next step i would say (for basically any game NCAA in particular) is to mimick the actuall stadium feeling, the cheers, the people going nuts, all that. Ill cry when i get a game in my hands that makes me feel like im actually there.

Next year they should add a tailgater mode where you wake up at 8am, get wasted and see if you can stumble your way to the stadium by halftime, and then not pass out once youre there. I can do the motion capture!
Old 07-11-2005, 04:25 PM   #21
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Because the question I am asking is what is more important in an NCAA game, the presentation or the gameplay? Is it really that hard to answer?
Yes it is hard to answer, especially for an ncaa game where atmosphere and presentation are very important(like I've said already), and the absence of either it takes away from the experience. There is no need to have to have either when tiburon has such a huge team and almost unlimited resources to make it so that we can have both.

If I went any bigger, it would not have properly fit with my equipment, so I had to optimize. I'm okay with it, but I also know what I'm missing with those five inches. :)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-11-2005, 04:25 PM   #22
ObiWanJenkins

OVR:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAMEC0CK2002
You can't really ignore comparisons to ESPN's NFL when talking about presentation. To compare EA's NCAA 2006 to a bad port done back in 2003 when Sega was financially strapped for cash doesn't make sense. Gameplay is always a first priority, but it's pretty much useless if the game doesn't have the presentation to make it all authentic.
I don't want to compare competing NCAA games either. I want to compare the different opinions about presentation and the opinions about gameplay. Is it a gamebreaker for you if the jerseys aren't perfect comparisons to their real world counterparts?

Old 07-11-2005, 04:26 PM   #23
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpup
for 50 bucks, i expect them to get both right.
Exactly. They both work together to form "the game". If either one is missing, I wouldn't be happy.

This is like saying, which do you want, the books or the teachers, the shirt or the pants, the bat or the glove? The experience is not the same unless you have both. If it was all about game play, EA wouldn't need the NCAA or NFL liscenses.
Old 07-11-2005, 04:27 PM   #24
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
I don't want to compare competing NCAA games either. I want to compare the different opinions about presentation and the opinions about gameplay. Is it a gamebreaker for you if the jerseys aren't perfect comparisons to their real world counterparts?
The jersey's being incorrect isn't the only graphical problem that someone could complain about.

If I went any bigger, it would not have properly fit with my equipment, so I had to optimize. I'm okay with it, but I also know what I'm missing with those five inches. :)
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »