Home

I'm trying so hard to like this game, but it's not working

This is a discussion on I'm trying so hard to like this game, but it's not working within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-13-2005, 12:20 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 16
Unhappy I'm trying so hard to like this game, but it's not working

Let me preface this by saying that I'm about to comment on my personal experiences with the game. I'm not making general statements about the game, nor am I generalizing anyone else's experiences with the game. I'm sure quite a few of you have had vastly different results than the ones I'm about the describe.

Okay...

For me, the game suffers from the same thing it's suffered from the last few years. All-American is too easy, and Heisman is too hard, regardless of slider settings. I played my first few games on AA, but the running game was way too easy. I play as Notre Dame, and Darius Walker broke 300 yards rushing 3 times in 4 games with various slider adjustments.

So I figured I'd give Heisman a shot. Knowing that I'm not a great player, I figured I'd lower the CPU sliders to almost zero for my first few games on Heisman. With the running sliders set at 20%, Missouri ran the option against me and absolutely slammed it down my throat. Their RB was over 100, and their QB ran for nearly 200. It didn't matter what plays I picked, whether it was man-to-man or zone, 4-3, 3-4, 4-4, Nickel....it didn't matter. They did whatever they wanted whenever they wanted, and beat me 27-17. Not a blowout I know, but my inability to even make a dent in their running game with wimpy sliders was very discouraging. I tried a couple of other games, each with similar results, including a flat out butt-whoopin' at the hands of Oklahoma. Of course, this is probably to be expected, but a 38-7 deficit at halftime didn't do much for my confidence of ever winning a meaningful game on Heisman.

Part of my problem, I'm sure, is the fact that I'm not a very good defender. I know many of you switch guys like crazy during a play, attempting to make all the plays yourself. I simply cannot do this. I end up giving up bigger gains than the computer would, so I usually just take control of a DE and try to get in on the QB, leaving the defensive backfield stuff to the computer. I figure this is one reason why I'm not successful on Heisman, but I don't know what else to do.

So now I'm at this crossroad. I can't play on AA because the run game is insanely easy, and I suck too bad to play on Heisman. So I'm basically sitting here, extremely discouraged, facing the realization that I might not play NCAA 2006 very much at all. EA certainly made notable improvements from last year, but right now, I just don't see it as being a very good game, mainly due to the fact that I can never seem to find a happy medium between the two difficulties that make the game feel "right". And this is definately frustrating, because I'm an absolute fanatic for college football and for college football gaming, and I wanted so bad for this game to be the best ever. At least right now, it's not for me.

I know this was long. I appreciate those of you that made it through the whole thing. Thanks for your time.

Chris.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-13-2005, 12:30 AM   #2
Rookie

whatcha's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: I'm trying so hard to like this game, but it's not working

consider trying some sliders on all american that will make the game more difficult for you. I agree that All American is just too easy, but there are slider combinations that will meet your skill level.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:05 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2

You can't expect the game to be perfect for you right out of the box. It came out today and you are already discouraged? Give it some time, play more games, get used to the new controls and options, and maybe you will figure out the settings that work. Either that or just quit now and forget about it.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:11 AM   #4
MVP

OVR: 10

Id just keep practicing on Heisman and eventually be able to defeat the computer, thats what I would do, or you could do what was stated above, turn up the difficulty on AA.

Rams NFL Championships :

"
Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing."
Old 07-13-2005, 01:12 AM   #5
Please don't go.

cooldude's Arena

OVR: 15
Location: One of The World's Leaders in Crude Oil: Fort McMurray, Alberta, Canada

You've got to be willing to give the game more of a chance than you did.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-13-2005, 01:43 AM   #6
MVP

OVR: 11

...I guess i must suck at this game because AA is giving me enough challenge as it is. I am using the Tarheels and Gamecocks though.
NCAA FB: Gamecocks and Tarheels
NCAA BB: Gamecocks and Tarheels
Old 07-13-2005, 01:45 AM   #7
Please don't go.

cooldude's Arena

OVR: 15
Location: One of The World's Leaders in Crude Oil: Fort McMurray, Alberta, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rback21
...I guess i must suck at this game because AA is giving me enough challenge as it is. I am using the Tarheels and Gamecocks though.
LOL that may be why.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:47 AM   #8
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude
LOL that may be why.
I always play with my squads. And, man, has it been tough.
NCAA FB: Gamecocks and Tarheels
NCAA BB: Gamecocks and Tarheels

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »