Home

This might help the amazing CPU QB stats a little

This is a discussion on This might help the amazing CPU QB stats a little within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-19-2005, 07:39 PM   #9
stewaat

OVR:
Re: This might help the amazing CPU QB stats a little

He guys, I've played Purdue and USC since I've posted these sliders for coaching strategies. It dont NOT affect the way they play the game. Purdue tried to pass all over me and USC did their West Coast offense thing. Bush had 97 on the ground on 21 car and Leinart had about 150 through the air (I held him to 8-22 passing with my sliders under the sliders section).

I played a really good defensive game vs USC so that's why Leinart's #'s are down. He did much better in the 2nd half vs. me.

Purdue had to start a freshman QB against me due to an injury, so I forced him to go like 11/33. He threw 3 picks.

Old 07-20-2005, 11:17 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 3

Ok I am going to sim a season and see how this works out. Although, I didn't touch the defensive sliders at all.

All of your stats seemed like it toned everything down. However, 3,100 yards passing leading the nation seems pretty low, but I am sure that can be adjusted through the slideres as well.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:30 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 4

The problem is EA knows nothing of TENDENCY or MODERATION.

It's all or nothing.

Remember when Madden had the Playmaker and Vick was like the only guy anyone ever used in the Madden Challenge?

Remember passing defense last year?

Now they want to add spice to the game by giving back offense...so you get unreal 79% season completion stats for QBs?

----------------------------

EA could make 3 big improvements:

1) Research. Nobody is under 1'0" in NCAA anywhere. How'd that even make it out the door? Or how does someone with a 33.7 QB rating in the 2004-2005 season warrant a 80+ overall in NCAA 2006?

2) Moderation. All sim = No fun. All Arcade = No fun. Mix the two, but don't make it so gamey sim people hate it and don't make it so hard that arcade folks hate it. They could use the Gran Turismo model which seems to walk that line very nicely. However, it requires a significant investment in playtesting and Quality Assurance testing which EA is getting worse and worse at.

3) Presentation. There are tons of features that could be added presentation-wise that 2K did so well. EA just seems to put out a game. The presentation is however they decide to theme it every year, not what new usable features they add. For instance, who wouldn't love to set their own stadium music? Or ... Who wouldn't want game face in the game? Or ... Who wouldn't want to see snow accumulation or some kind of after game stat presentation with commentary?

Really, aside from those 3 major things EA does an admirable job. The problem is they get too focused on the new marketing scam that their corporate assmonkeys dream up and forget about gamers.

Not to mention who is the last computer programmer you met that not only loved college football but had a sense of history about the game and an understanding of how to discuss it in a group of guys at a bar? I know 3 out of the 40+ programmers I know...EA doesn't employ them.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-21-2005, 01:00 AM   #12
On the 15 day DL-blister

voodoo_magic's Arena

OVR: 13

Over the last 2 days I've been testing out all kinds of combinations of changes to coaching sliders trying to tone down qb comp % and yards/gm as well as the yds/gm for running backs and receivers.
I've literally tried every possible combination including changing the sub in/out % to max to take away some carries for rb but that had no effect. Also tried changing all teams offence to as conservative as possible but didn't seem to make alot of difference.
What I've found in changing coaching sliders is if you increase the team run % it helps lower the qb and wr yds/gm but increases the carries and yds/gm for running backs. If you increase the pass % it makes it even worse for the qb yds/gm so you can't reduce total offence this way.

I have found one thing that seems to work but will mean alot of time to fix.
I did a test of the big 10 conference checking stats for qb, rb, wr.
I ran a season sim to get some base stats.
I then edited the starting qb's of the big 10 teams, reducing throw accuracy by 20.
The results are impressive in my opinion.
For passing the comp % ranged from 58-65 %, int's increased, most had 8-15 with a low of 5 and a high of 24, passing yards/gm were all realistic amounts.
For wr's much more realistic yds/gm totals, receptions and td's good.

edit
I just double checked my rb numbers for all teams in my sim season and they are fairly close to last years real life leaders as far as yd's/gm, 10 rb with 130+ yd's/gm compared to 8 in real life. I was thinking they were too high when I first posted this.

Last edited by voodoo_magic; 07-21-2005 at 01:17 AM.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:58 AM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 2

I'd be eager to edit the ratings like that, but the only problem is that this is for dynasty mode. When new recruits come in, the same problems will creep up again I'm sure. We can't edit them either, at least I don't know how if it is possible
Old 07-21-2005, 01:34 PM   #14
Rookie

This deffinetly works, and works very well (what voo doo said, dropping of 20%)... BUT, like was previously said what about when the freshman come into the league and start lighting it up? Does anyone have any suggestions on how to change that?

Is there a way to edit rosters for dynastys? Maybe through a computer convertor program?

Keep this thread going, cause I feel this is a major issue for dynasty mode.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:59 PM   #15
MVP

OVR: 8

Maybe I'm missing something here but if we're editing the team playcalling tendencies, how is this not going to affect incoming freshmen ratings? We're not talking about adjusting player ratings, just the team tendencies, right? If anything, this will affect them in the right way from what I can see.

This is how I see it...I'll use Hawaii as an example.
If we use stewaat's idea of setting Hawaii's offense type to Balanced, we'll even out all the teams playcalling, except the option teams which seem to be fine/unaffected.
By setting the Coaching Tendencies slider to read 54% run/46% pass, we'll tell the AI to run more but still pass more than, for example, Michigan who might be at 63/37 run/pass. This seems a little different to me, but I'll roll with it for now...
By shifting the final slider all the way to conservative, we tell them not to throw as many deep balls.

Ok, once we have that done, each existing player should be affected only by the playcalling, not by their ratings, right? Therefore, when new players come in, regardless of their ratings, the plays will be called in the same manner. Of course, this assumes that the CPU doesn't reset the playcalling sliders based on each team's recruiting class. I'd be up for creating a spreadsheet, if it's wanted. I don't know how accurate I'd be but I can give it a shot...

Great thinking stewaat!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-21-2005, 02:21 PM   #16
Rookie

I was making mention of Voo Doo's idea of dropping all the QB's pass accuracy ratings 20 points. I tested it as well, it does work VERY good, it's the ideal way to do it... BUT.....when freshman come in they'll start off with at least 80% and that's better than Leinhart has if you do the edits.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »