Home

explain defensive formations

This is a discussion on explain defensive formations within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-20-2005, 09:59 AM   #1
Banned

stellastarr's Arena

OVR: 2
Arrow explain defensive formations

I need an explanation on the formations on defense. I don't need 4-3, 3-4, nickel or dime or goalline.

I need all others explained. I can remember 4-4, 5-2, 3-3-5, etc....

What is the personel and what does each set supposed to defend against?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-20-2005, 10:12 AM   #2
Pr*s*n*r#70460649

Graphik's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: explain defensive formations

The 4-4 is 4 defensive lineman and 4 LBs. It uses a extra LB to stop the run or short pass plays.

The 5-2 is 5 Defensive Lineman and 2 LBs. You can use this better on short yardage situations when the offense may try to run up the gut.

The 3-3-5 is 3 DL, 3 LBs and 5 players in the secondary. Effective against the pass moreso than the run but can help out the run just as good.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:14 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2

"4-4" = four down linemen, four linebackers, two corners, one safety
"5-2" = five down linemen, two linebackers, two corners, two safeties
"4-2-5" = four down linemen, two linebackers, two corners, three safeties

I don't use any of the ones you're needing info about, so I'll leave the strategies for someone more in the know...
Old 07-20-2005, 10:48 AM   #4
Lie,cheat,steal,kill: Win

trobinson97's Arena

OVR: 44

I use the 5-2 and 3-3-5 sparingly, mainly when I am struggling on a certain drive and my regular formations aren't working out too welll; just to give their offense a different look and mix things up a bit.

SteamID - Depotboy

...2009, 2011, 2012, 2015, 2017, 2020....
What a run
Roll Tide

Old 07-20-2005, 10:59 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellastarr
I need an explanation on the formations on defense. I don't need 4-3, 3-4, nickel or dime or goalline.

I need all others explained. I can remember 4-4, 5-2, 3-3-5, etc....

What is the personel and what does each set supposed to defend against?

The logistics of each formation have already been explained so I'll go into detail about when and why you'd use any of these 'funky' formations.

I'll use the 4-4 to stop the run but I also use it as a different look and one that I'll blitz out of but leave myself with an extra LB or DLineman to cover up any short dump offs if the QB avoids my blitz. In a standard formation you leave yourself susceptible to a dump off and if they get past a safety they won't be caught.

I think the 5-2 is overrated and the majority of the time against the run my LBs make the tackle and if I only have 2 of them out there it limits my ability to have a LB hit the gap created by a defensive lineman sucking up a lineman or fullback on a block. I use it a few times a game to give a different look and confuse the offense.

I like the 3-3-5 because you have 3 LB's and extra DBs and if your DBs can tackel it can be an effective formation against both the run and the pass and with the team I use, Cincinnati, my defensive lineman suck anyway so if I can get one out there I'll do it and bring in an extra LB or DB. Hope this helps, if not, it wasn't that long to read.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-20-2005, 11:11 AM   #6
Banned

Bobolini's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobinson97
I use the 5-2 and 3-3-5 sparingly, mainly when I am struggling on a certain drive and my regular formations aren't working out too welll; just to give their offense a different look and mix things up a bit.
The 5-2 provides a decent short yardage run stop type D while the 3-3-5 is a short to medium pass type D. It can be suspect to the run. But I mainly have the same philosophy as you. Soemthing to throw at the D to break their rhythm.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »