Home

I cant trust reviews anymore

This is a discussion on I cant trust reviews anymore within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 07:36 PM   #9
MVP

OVR: 29
Re: I cant trust reviews anymore

reviews are never a good thing since people all have different qualities they like in a game...........

you should always rent or play a friends game first before you buy any game.......

hell if you go off of reviews, i should have enjoyed Halo, Halo 2, and Grand Theft Auto which in reality i thought they all were boring games.......
Old 07-20-2005, 08:16 PM   #10
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

In my experience, those "professional" reviewers never spend enough time with sports games. You can't always find the glitches in an hour or two of gameplay. Nor can you see all the great details and nuances that a game may have.

I agree with the previous posters that OS is a great place to learn about a game. But it does take work. You can't just come in and read a couple reviews. You really have to scour the threads. You have to work to see through the spammers, fanboys (pro and con) and the guys who might just be ventilating after a tough loss. And yeah, you do have to weed through alot of nonsense debate, but eventually you can find out about the things that are important to you in making a purchasing decision.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:58 PM   #11
Rookie

jackson's Arena

OVR: 5

All I have to say is somebody was smoking some good stuff when they adamantly said that the slowdown was completely gone. They must have accidentally put 04 back in their system and reviewed it. Unbelieveable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Old 07-20-2005, 09:02 PM   #12
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

and not to long ago OS was praised for getting its review out so early. the final decision HAS to be your own. Even though I heard great things about the game, it influenced me buying the game but I was still skeptical about HOW good it is... I still am. but it sounds like you're giving reviews too much power. especially since everyone wants the review as quickly as possible. you can't do a quick review and play the game enough to see that there is a problem with many of the things people complain about. not to mention, whether anyone is getting money or not from a company, most aren't getting money for reviewing the game so it's something they are doing in the extra time they have. imagine if you had a week to review a game (play every mode and investigate potential issues for enouhg games to matter, write everything you find down and then write it in a way that it's displayed in a review), do your 9 to 5, maybe take care of your kids. You guys can bash companies, I get that. You pay them and their employers are paid. I'll never understand why anyone would bash a review.
Old 07-20-2005, 09:05 PM   #13
MVP

spit_bubble's Arena

OVR: 27

The truth is, it's kind of hard to trust message boards too. Game companies actually hire people to go on to boards and say good things about their games. I know IGN's boards are littered with that type of scum.

Really, your best bet to get a feel for a game is gamerankings.com and then find some message boards you can trust... And if you're still not sure, then rent first.
Old 07-20-2005, 09:40 PM   #14
Banned

thelwig14's Arena

OVR: 16

When it comes to sports games, I have realized that most sports reviewers either never played sports or barely sniffed the jv. They just constantly miss simple/obvious things that an athlete or a true sports minded person would pick up. The sim engine problem is a perfect example of Johnny Zelda reviewing a sports game with no idea of what he is doing. That is such a simple error that HAS to be picked up. Period.
Old 07-20-2005, 09:48 PM   #15
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelwig14
When it comes to sports games, I have realized that most sports reviewers either never played sports or barely sniffed the jv. They just constantly miss simple/obvious things that an athlete or a true sports minded person would pick up. The sim engine problem is a perfect example of Johnny Zelda reviewing a sports game with no idea of what he is doing. That is such a simple error that HAS to be picked up. Period.
That's funny, I have reviewed games for this site, specifically football games, and I played sports and went pretty far beyond JV.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-20-2005, 10:05 PM   #16
Banned

thelwig14's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
That's funny, I have reviewed games for this site, specifically football games, and I played sports and went pretty far beyond JV.

I was not directing it towards any specific reviewer, but in general, it is true. Most reviewers do not look at sports video games in a real context because they do not know any better. The majority of reviews did not even pick up the lefty home run bug in MVP last year. This year in NCAA, they missed the sim problems, hail mary problem, running problems, etc.....These problems are not representative of a game that receives scores in the 9's and such.

Last edited by thelwig14; 07-20-2005 at 10:08 PM.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »