Home

Defending the option...

This is a discussion on Defending the option... within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-22-2005, 11:59 AM   #1
Rookie

mjdiggy's Arena

OVR: 1
Defending the option...

Both on-line and against the computer, I'm getting hurt by the option. It doesn't necessarily kill me, but I'm giving up some pretty substantial yardage. I'm just wondering what strategies you guys have for defending the option. Anyone have any tips for me? Any specific defenses, or formations? Which guy I should control, and what should I do with him? Anything else? Thanks...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-22-2005, 12:10 PM   #2
Rookie

straylight3's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Defending the option...

Defending the option can be tough. It can help to put a spy or 2 on the QB. If you have a spy (blue circle in the actual play), thier only job is to "blanket" the QB. So find plays that have spies. A play I like to use online is 3-3-5, Quarters. It defends against the deep ball with 4 deep, and has a spy who is the MLB. I control the MLB and when I see the option developing I can go bust it up. Also try to find plays where both the OLBs are spies. This way there will be 2 people covering it, one for the QB and you can control the other one for the RB.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:14 PM   #3
Banned

Freelance's Arena

OVR: 21

Creep your safeties in, and hope they don't go deep.

This is why the wishbone was the greatest offense of all back in the day. It's impossible for a lesser team to stop because it spreads a defense into a thin line of defenders. However, if your defense sucks and the other team's defense can match your athleticism, it doesn't work.

The wishbone is why coaches started putting their best athletes on defense about 20 years ago. No more slow, plodding linebackers to outrun.
Old 07-22-2005, 01:00 PM   #4
Rookie

Thumbs up Re: Defending the option...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdiggy
Both on-line and against the computer, I'm getting hurt by the option. It doesn't necessarily kill me, but I'm giving up some pretty substantial yardage. I'm just wondering what strategies you guys have for defending the option. Anyone have any tips for me? Any specific defenses, or formations? Which guy I should control, and what should I do with him? Anything else? Thanks...
Play 4-4 Cover 3. Your CB's and Safety will drop back to cover deep passes, you keep all 4 of your Defensive Linemen on the field, and you bring out an extra LB. The 4 LB's will spread themselves out about 3 yds in front of the line of scrimmage and cover most of the tacklebox area and perimeter.

Decide if you want that Safety to be another good run defender (SS) or be safe with a better pass defender for potential deep balls/play action (FS) and formation sub whichever one you want in there.

Pinch your DL if you have to in order to eliminate the FB in the triple option - try to defend it straight-up if you can though.
Then, spread your LB's out so they cover even wider.

Lastly, control the Inside Linebacker on the opposite side of the strong formation - usually denoted by where the TE is. Play as the ILB opposite the side of the TE. The reason for this is that you can then allow 2 CPU LB's to be closer to the ball if the team runs strong-side which is most common - then you can chase down from behind and usually find your way to the ball unblocked.

All of these techniques should make you money on D - I've been shutting down human players who are very good at the option for years.

Obviously, having talent at your LB and DL positions makes it much easier - but these techniques should help regardless.
Old 07-22-2005, 02:37 PM   #5
Rookie

mjdiggy's Arena

Thanks for the help, guys... Especially sap. That sounds great. I'll give it a shot.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-22-2005, 02:58 PM   #6
MVP

Mjphillips's Arena

OVR: 10

This is the simplest method for me. Shift your linebackers to the play side if you can tell the direction the play is going. If the option is going to the right have that linebacker blitzing to hopefully blow the play up in the backfield. I blitz both outside linebackers and shift accordingly when I feel option plays are coming. I have an audible from 4-3 that does this. I can not remember the exact play but it works.
Old 07-22-2005, 04:40 PM   #7
Rookie

Thumbs up Re: Defending the option...

Yep - you can also modify my suggestions by adding a blitzing LB to the mix. As he said above - take the play-side (strong side) ILB - the one you aren't controlling - and send him on a blitz to try and either A) blow up the play or B) force everything further outside - giving you time to run and get to the ball carrier.

I try to avoid blitzing the outside LB's because if the offense breaks their containment - you're going to get gouged for a big gainer.

Also, the more disruption you can cause, and the longer the play takes - the harder it is for the CPU blockers to maintain their blocks.

Both methods work - and I suggest to definitely mix them up and try and be the aggressive one - make the offense worry about what YOU are doing!

Last edited by sap0321; 07-22-2005 at 05:02 PM.
Old 07-22-2005, 05:09 PM   #8
MVP

jujuhound's Arena

OVR: 7

I like to bring my safeties up and spy with both Defensive Ends. I usually play pretty good D against the option this way. You can spy even on plays that don't start out that way by holding L and pressing either 'X' for one DE or 'B' for the other.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »