Home

so whats the secret....

This is a discussion on so whats the secret.... within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-28-2005, 07:29 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
so whats the secret....

to stopping the one on one deep ball this year. my "stick skills" are coming around slowly to the new controller config. but i'm getting flippin' lit up in one on one situations in the passing game. last year i would drill the reciever with the big hit button as the ball arrived. thats not an option this year.

i don't know what the conservative defensive play on the ball is this year. is it swat? is it x? strafe and disrupt the pattern? right analog (seems to be terribly delayed)? how 'bout the white button(strip) ?

Last edited by stabmasterb; 07-28-2005 at 09:55 AM. Reason: gave me a headache to read it
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-28-2005, 10:13 AM   #2
Stayin Alive

GAMEC0CK2002's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: so whats the secret....

Quote:
Originally Posted by stabmasterb
to stopping the one on one deep ball this year. my "stick skills" are coming around slowly to the new controller config. but i'm getting flippin' lit up in one on one situations in the passing game. last year i would drill the reciever with the big hit button as the ball arrived. thats not an option this year.

i don't know what the conservative defensive play on the ball is this year. is it swat? is it x? strafe and disrupt the pattern? right analog (seems to be terribly delayed)? how 'bout the white button(strip) ?
Play more Cover 2 or Cover 3 and keep your safeties back. Don't go for a pick unless the ball is severly over or underthrown and you're the only person that has a play on the ball. If the WR has a chance at it you're better off swatting it down. Another thing that you can do is slow the receiver up in his route if you're ahead of him. Even with the defensive PI maxed out I've only gotten flagged twice during the first year of my dynasty. And this is college football so it's definitely better to risk the penalty and lay out or impede the WR than it is to give up the easy TD. I recommend playing as the safety at all times b/c even with good AI teammates, they get fooled easily by the PA pass and it's near impossible to catch up once the WR gets 2 steps on you (especially if you're in man coverage). Hope this helps.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:13 AM   #3
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAMEC0CK2002
Another thing that you can do is slow the receiver up in his route if you're ahead of him. Even with the defensive PI maxed out I've only gotten flagged twice during the first year of my dynasty.
I use this technique when I can. It's effective, but I get called for PI more often then you do. I too have PI maxed out.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:19 AM   #4
MVP

bgeno's Arena

OVR: 18

I like to stay in cover 2 man most of the game. Probably 70% of the time I'm just just in a cover 2 man. It gets kind of monotonous and a human opponent can figure out how to beat it fairly easily, but it seemed to do the trick agains the computer.

I do throw some zone in there every once in a while, especially as the computer gets closer to the goal-line. And when blitzing, I typically mix it up between man and zone coverage fairly evenly.

When physically defending the pass, it's a timing game, and a hard one at that. I still have some troubles, but, for the most part, I've gotten the timing down. I use the swat button(L on xbox) and just hope my defender jumps high enough and in the right spot.
Old 07-28-2005, 03:21 PM   #5
L*v* *nd H*n*r t* M**m*

mazhirui's Arena

OVR: 5

I think I play cover 2 even more than 70% and actually have not been getting beaten deeply at all recently. About 2/3 of the time they throw deep, the safety is able to come over and help, and one of the two defenders gets their hands on it to knock it down. I've been pretty happy with the slider settings, thanks to Jistic.

Miami University
Bicentennial, 1809-2009
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-28-2005, 03:40 PM   #6
Rookie

halltheway's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazhirui
I think I play cover 2 even more than 70% and actually have not been getting beaten deeply at all recently. About 2/3 of the time they throw deep, the safety is able to come over and help, and one of the two defenders gets their hands on it to knock it down. I've been pretty happy with the slider settings, thanks to Jistic.
Cover is great but it puts a lot of pressure on your safties. If they are not that good you may want to employ a cover 3 or even better a cover 3 switch. That will send your corners back deep. Of course this is a moot point if you go man cover 2.
Old 07-28-2005, 08:18 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by halltheway
Cover is great but it puts a lot of pressure on your safties. If they are not that good you may want to employ a cover 3 or even better a cover 3 switch. That will send your corners back deep. Of course this is a moot point if you go man cover 2.
thanks guys... i do fine when my corners have help over the top (cover two).however i seem to be having trouble shutting down the vince young/marcus vick , hb direct, shotgun option, scramble run hurry-up attack while running a cover two.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:41 PM   #8
Lie,cheat,steal,kill: Win

trobinson97's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by stabmasterb
thanks guys... i do fine when my corners have help over the top (cover two).however i seem to be having trouble shutting down the vince young/marcus vick , hb direct, shotgun option, scramble run hurry-up attack while running a cover two.
Then take over your middle linebacker and personally make sure those scrambling qb's don't get outta hand. If they decide to run, make sure they think twice about doing so next time. I had to take things in my own hands playing a scrambling qb. What I like to do is, press L1 (line audible) and down on right anolog. This makes all the lineman go straight toward the qb, his only option as far as running is to hit the side. I've noticed he cpu usually runs to it's right, so I just strafe with the middle linebacker in relation to the qb's position in the backfield. Whenever he heads towards the sidleine, I am shadowing him. A lot of times it seems this really confuses the cpu and he ends up not throwing, which results in a sack for my d-line or a tackle for my mlb on a short yardage run for the qb.

SteamID - Depotboy

...2009, 2011, 2012, 2015, 2017, 2020....
What a run
Roll Tide

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »