Home

2k5'r considering this game

This is a discussion on 2k5'r considering this game within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-16-2005, 09:29 AM   #9
All Star

OVR: 20
Re: 2k5'r considering this game

I'm having a great variety of games with Jistic's sliders. Give them a try.

Take care,
PK
Old 09-16-2005, 03:19 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 5
Thumbs up Re: 2k5'r considering this game

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB33
What is HFA? And are there no other people that would like to chime in? Are there any of you that only buy this game and not Madden? Or do you get this as a precursor to Madden? Is it different?
I am a big fan of NFL 2k5, despite the bugs inherent to every VC title. Last year was the first year I actually looked forward to playing the pro game, and I am still with it for this season.

But I have always been a fan of EA's college game. I have owned the even-numbered series every year since '98, and the game play and atmosphere just keep getting better. I agree with thmst30 about the Heisman addition. It's not as immersible as Chase for the Cup's Race to the Top mode, but the Dynasty mode simply rocks. The beauty of controlling one or two teams' recruiting while maintaining the control to watch or play ANY game you want is as good as it gets. I'm not sure about HFA, since this is my first experience with it (it wasn't in '04). But I am leaning toward positive, as this gives the game close to the feel of having 112,000 hostile fans screaming at you as your team moves into the red zone.

I also love the added celebrations the game has, from mild but amusing to penalty-drawing excessive showboating. If you like college football, this is the only game in town. And it is a blast.
College Hoops 2k8: Duke, Winston-Salem State
Old 09-16-2005, 03:34 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 0

I use my own sliders and have very few problems others bring up. I use HFA and all american level on 8 min quarters. I have shut outs, have been shut out (ouch) and have relatively low scoring games (say 20-14), with realistic stats. I play a very aggressive defense and run a lot offensively. Yes, there are holes. Slow backs don't get to the corner. Slow QB's should not run the option. The pass button is pretty touchy and requires some practice (the drops you heard about). Tall DB's and WR's have a distinct advantage and I never punt into the middle of the field- very risky.

Nail biters: last night Miss. St dynasty vs LSU. I ran in both a fumble and a INT for TDs and scored my first drive: 21-0. They came back from 21-0 to 21-17 by halftime. We each scored one TD in the third and then punted away for most of the 4th. LSU ball with 1:30 left and down the field they come, clock running out they inch to my 20 yard line. I hold 1-2-3. Fourth down- I all out blitz and sack the QB with 20 seconds left to escape with a win 28-24. LSU's stats were twice mine (as they should be). My bend but don't break D and the two turn overs gave me the win.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-17-2005, 02:23 AM   #12
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB33
I prefer and play NFL 2k5 for my main football fix. However, the last time I had this (NCAA) game was 2003 with Joey Harrington on the cover. I remember I played the snot out of the game, and felt it was the best football game that year. I will say that I just do not like nor have I liked for past 4 years, Madden football. I am itching for this game to get a college footbal fix and I like the Dynasty idea.
I thought 2003 was great too. But if you are expecting that the last 3 years have produced a quantum leap in the game's evolution, you'll probably be a bit disappointed. Rather than fix the few game quirks and build upon solid features that so many people enjoy, EA seems to have focused on EA Trax, Road to the Heisman and a Home Field Advantage feature which seems to cause some problems. The most common compliant from the game over the last few years is that it is too hard to complete a short pass to a wide open reciever, and too easy to loft a bomb into triple coverage.
Old 09-17-2005, 07:13 AM   #13
Rookie

Meeker's Arena

I use Playmakers sliders, and are very good for me. I also tried Madden, and I didn't like it very much either. NCAA is a lot better than Madden. You should at least rent the game.

The Ohio State University
Old 09-18-2005, 10:09 AM   #14
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardot
I thought 2003 was great too. But if you are expecting that the last 3 years have produced a quantum leap in the game's evolution, you'll probably be a bit disappointed. Rather than fix the few game quirks and build upon solid features that so many people enjoy, EA seems to have focused on EA Trax, Road to the Heisman and a Home Field Advantage feature which seems to cause some problems. The most common compliant from the game over the last few years is that it is too hard to complete a short pass to a wide open reciever, and too easy to loft a bomb into triple coverage.
These are things that I am affraid of, as these are what I have grown to think of Madden. However I have been wanting a college fix, and was quite disapointed in last years version, it just seemed ultra slow. Thanks for your input though.
Old 09-18-2005, 10:10 AM   #15
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeker
I use Playmakers sliders, and are very good for me. I also tried Madden, and I didn't like it very much either. NCAA is a lot better than Madden. You should at least rent the game.
I think I may have the same point of view as you, so I will probably be going to go at least rent it here soon since you get to have them for like a month at a time now. I will let you guys know what I think.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-26-2005, 08:18 AM   #16
Pro

Well, I was finally able to rent it from blockbuster, as it was never in. I had it once for Xbox last week but it wouldn't even get past load screen it was so scratched. So I ended up with it on PS2. Besides I heard of people claiming "less dropped passes" and that the controller layout was easier with PS2 version. However I did not read about there being more slow downs than Chicago traffic @ 5:00 Friday evening! I mean this thing should come with a traffic light to handle all of the stop and go's this thing does. And the sweet animations where the player completely cuts through the surrounding players and "dissapears" is really fancy.
As far as my gameplay impressions; it is definately, for me, more enjoyable than Madden. Though it is is still just as if not more cartooney looking, with the same tired-azz animations since 2002. But I still enjoy playing the game a bit. Out of the box, passing is definately too easy (but hey it is an EA football game), in fact so is running, but like I said I didn't change any difficulty or sliders at all, just popped it in and played. Except for taking down the face mask penalties. I will see how it goes over the next week or so, but it is not too shabby, though I don't see myself paying $50 for it, maybe I would be just fine with 2004. I know it is a bit cheezy, especially how you are "recruited" but the initial race for Heisman is fairly neat, though WAY too easy.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »