Home

Re: Throwing to RB's in the flat....

This is a discussion on Re: Throwing to RB's in the flat.... within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-23-2005, 10:22 AM   #1
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44

I don't know how many of you are as unskilled as me (and annoyed with NCAA) when it comes to throwing to your RB's out in the flat. I complete about 40% of my passes to them, and usually my QB is just way off and sometimes throws it 10 yards upfield directly to the DB. Other times it'll go right infront of the RB's face and he won't even lift his arms. Yes, very frustrating.

Well, I was playing around in practice mode last night and I stumbled across something that worked amazingly for me. I use my own Heisman sliders and I was using Bowling Green in practice mode with no defense.

I was working on leading receivers and my passing game, etc. So I was thinking about the Maximum Passing in 2k5 and how you press the stick after the ball has been released by the QB. So I was playing around with, and it works like an absolutely charm when throwing into the flat.

Drop back with your QB, and when you want to throw to your RB in the flat, press the corresponding icon to your RB and as soon as your QB releases the ball, slam the joystick directly up, regardless of the route the RB is running. I tried this with no defense and completed 15 straight passes. Then I put the defense on, and complete 12 out of 15 passes.

The best part is, you can throw complete bullet passes (pull that R trigger as hard as you can) and still press up right away and complete most of your passes.

So please, if you couldn't pass in the flat before, give this method a try.

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-23-2005, 10:26 AM   #2
Stu
All Star

Stu's Arena

OVR: 24

Interesting. I'll definitely have to try this out. The only passes I'm able to complete in the flats are if I lob it, which usually gives the defense time to come up and drop me for a loss. I really need to go into practice mode and run through my playbook. Thanks for the tips.
Old 09-23-2005, 10:58 AM   #3
L.A. to S.D. to HI

Boltman's Arena

OVR: 34

It's funny that you have that problem Ehh, because my buddy who plays his own team in my dynasty has the same problem. For some reason I have no problems what so ever when it comes to dumping off a pass to my back in the flat coming out of the backfield.

But as for my buddy, he just flat out took that part out of his offensive game plan lol. I'll show him this and see if it helps him, thanks bro, good looking out.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:31 PM   #4
D*st*ny

HiJumpr111's Arena

OVR: 19

This thread is interesting. I was getting ready to write about how I am experiencing an OPPOSITE effect.

What I have experienced is this:
When I control Notre Dame in my dynsasty, I have noticed through four games that I have a "can't miss" play. It uses a shotgun formation with #3 (Darius Walker) set next to the QB. The play is called TE Delay I believe.
Unfortuately I have discovered that I can run this play ad naseum and see it complete 95% of the time. Furthermore, Walker can usually gain 30-50 more yards after the catch.

My settings are All-American...I have turned the Def Awareness/Knockdown/Int slider all the way up to their max levels and I still can gain 500+ yards with Walker on 30+ catches which is ridiculous.

It seems that I have two solutions. One of which I will have to use. (I refuse to play a full Dysnasty with these kind of numbers)

1. I could bump up to All-Heismann, but quite honestly I don't perceive myself to be skilled enough to do that--even with slider setting in my favor. Even on AA with the settings above, I find VERY little success with other types of passing plays.

or

2. I could just be prudent in the number of times I run TE Delay...ie limit myself to calling it 3 times per game or whatever.

What is absolutely bizarre is that other RB in the flat plays that I run in Notre Dame's playbook or Purdue or Indiana's playbook never have the success that TE Delay does with ND.

It's almost like I've encountered a sort of glitch with the AI maybe?

Walker is pretty good but not THAT good.

I'm open to any suggestions. I'd love to see what other Notre Dame users have experienced with this play and the various settings you use.

Thanks

Last edited by HiJumpr111; 09-23-2005 at 12:33 PM.
Old 09-23-2005, 01:34 PM   #5
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44

HJ, it's funny you are talking about that TE Delay play. My roomate ALWAYS used that play for the last three years in NCAA and had the same success. His RB would win the Heisman every year with 2,000+ rushing yards and 1,000+ receiving yards, which all came from that one play.

I have used it, and for some reason that specific play the RB almost always catches the pass. But on alot of other plays the RB is just absolutely clueless.

And Boltman, I'm the same way as your friend, I completely took that element out of my offense before I figured this lil thing out. Hopefully it'll make this game alot more enjoyable for me.

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-24-2005, 01:47 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 3

Something I discovered that works out well, say your running this play:

Wr...Wr........T.G.C.G.T..........Wr....Wr
.................................................. .
.................................................. .
.......................QB.HB------->........

I know its hard to see but it can be done with any HB flare route

Put the HB in motion and call hike when he is right here:

Wr...Wr........T.G.C.G.T............Wr....Wr
................................HB-------->......
............................../ /.....................
.......................Qb../ /......................

Then wait a second and throw it to him, usually he will be paired with a LB and it will be a race to the flat with your obviously faster HB already with a head of steam, if there in a zone defence find the opening, they should have 2 guys guarding 3

hope this helps
Old 09-27-2005, 08:46 PM   #7
All Star

SuperBowlNachos's Arena

OVR: 21

Which shotgun formation is the TE delay in?
Old 09-28-2005, 05:52 PM   #8
Th* H*mb*rg*r P*mp

TarHeelMan's Arena

OVR: 23

It's the Ace shotgun, I believe... You're in shotgun with 3 WRs, 1 TE and a RB. I may have the name of the formation wrong, but that's the basic personnel.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »