Home

Catching the football!

This is a discussion on Catching the football! within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-26-2005, 05:48 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Catching the football!

So, I'm the Washington Huskies in dynasty mode and I'm using Playmakers' basic set of sliders.

They are great but I am having the same problem I have had in all previous versions of NCAA and it seems with whatever sliders I use...

MY RECEIVERS CANNOT CATCH THE FOOTBALL! This is seriously affecting my passing statistics. Now, that's not to say I am a great passer. In all reality, I am a horrid passer. Definitely bottom of the barrel. But nothing irks me me more than when I plant the ball right on the number, only to watch my receiver drop the ball! It happens way too often. 9 drops against Idaho. 9!

So, how do you guys deal with this problem? Or do you have this problem? All tips, advice, suggestions are appreciated! Thanks!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-26-2005, 09:52 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 18
Re: Catching the football!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealSeahawkFan
So, I'm the Washington Huskies in dynasty mode and I'm using Playmakers' basic set of sliders.

They are great but I am having the same problem I have had in all previous versions of NCAA and it seems with whatever sliders I use...

MY RECEIVERS CANNOT CATCH THE FOOTBALL! This is seriously affecting my passing statistics. Now, that's not to say I am a great passer. In all reality, I am a horrid passer. Definitely bottom of the barrel. But nothing irks me me more than when I plant the ball right on the number, only to watch my receiver drop the ball! It happens way too often. 9 drops against Idaho. 9!

So, how do you guys deal with this problem? Or do you have this problem? All tips, advice, suggestions are appreciated! Thanks!
I can only give you a few of pointers. You'll still see drops , but not as many.
I use Jistic's AA sliders myself. You may want to try them out.

1- Don't ever bullet. You've got to lob your passes. Bullet passes are automatic drops 90% of the time.

2-The timing is crucial in NCAA and very different than in any other game I've played. You should NEVER throw to a guy when he's open cause when the ball gets there he won't be open anymore. That means you have to figure out which guy WILL BE OPEN when the ball gets to him. Now the tricky part is you have to throw just BEFORE he makes his cut. If you get the timing right it cuts down on the drops, as if the guy expects the ball so he doesn't drop it. Plus, it increases your overall passing effectiveness which makes the drops you do get easier to live with.

3-Try to get rid of the ball quickly as it seems that once receivers pass the point in their route where they should get the ball if it's thrown to them they'll just drop anything thrown their way. On the other hand, if you've got a speedy QB and you can scramble until the play breaks down you'll probably find someone with a step ontheir defender going upfield or to the corner. You may want ot limit that cause you can get screwed big time.
Old 11-26-2005, 11:15 AM   #3
MVP

OVR: 7

First of all, with your sliders, to catch the ball effectively, you will probably need to have the catch slider at 99%, I know, you might think your cheating, but thats what you have to do if you want your receivers to catch the ball consistently.

Secondly, even with catching at 99%, you need to put some touch on the ball when throwing. As previously mentioned, receivers will drop most bullet passes, but in my experience, I have found my receivers are much more likely to catch a bullet pass when it is 25 yards downfield vs. 5 yards, dont know why that is.

Third, this is a trick that I picked up from NCAA 2005, but for some reason it helps. After throwing, hit the Y button on your controller. Dont actually take control of the receiver, but just hit Y and let the computer do the work, this helps out your catching for some reason.

And if you still cant catch, you might want to learn to catch manually, it couldnt hurt. I would have, but I am terrible at that.
Old 11-26-2005, 12:20 PM   #4
Timbers - Jags - Hokies

The GIGGAS's Arena

OVR: 55

HFA Off turns off most drops for both teams.

Member: OS Uni Snob Assoc.
OS OT Post Champ '11

Twitter: @TheGIGGAS_OS
Xbox Live: TheGIGGAS
3DS: 1349-7755-3870
Old 11-26-2005, 12:26 PM   #5
Mr. Brightside

Acid's Arena

OVR: 52

I find the easiet way to stop drops, is to User Catch.
But we all live in denial
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-27-2005, 06:22 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Recruit some receivers that can catch

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 11-27-2005, 07:30 PM   #7
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
Recruit some receivers that can catch
I find that good receivers catch the ball and bad ones drop it.
Old 11-27-2005, 10:37 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
I find that good receivers catch the ball and bad ones drop it.
You and ODogg are playing on PS2. There are more drops in the XBOX version. I played both versions last year and it as night and day. XBOX was unplayable due to the drops for both the player and the CPU. You'd see the CPU go 4-25 passing regularly. And when you complained about it on this board PS2 guys would tell you to practice. As if that would help the CPU pass better.

This year I've only played the XBOX version and while there aren't nearly as many drops there are still too many to be called realistic. You often see completion % between 40 and 50%. It's not a big deal and this is still my favorite game. I've learned to just pick settings and enjoy the game the way it is and I'm having a blast.

But my point is your comment, as well as ODogg's clearly indicate that you guys are on PS2, which has fewer drops.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »