Home

Defending the deep pass?

This is a discussion on Defending the deep pass? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-09-2005, 02:19 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Defending the deep pass?

Guys, I'm really struggling with this. There are times I really struggle to position the defender properly. Is there a trick that could help?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-10-2005, 09:27 AM   #2

Deegeezy's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: Defending the deep pass?

They best defense in this game for the deep pass is to have a great pass rush and tall corners. Some things I do to generate a pass rush is using the D-line audible features. Shift your d-line around and slant their pass rush flow in different directions.

Also learning how to play with the FS would help also.
Old 12-10-2005, 12:27 PM   #3
THE Standard in CFB

Bamafan3723's Arena

OVR: 26

Don't go for the INT unless you have position. Try to swat the ball away instead. And take a pass interference penalty if necessary to avoid a longer play. Also call defensive plays that have your safeties either doubling up the outs or the slots.
Old 12-10-2005, 12:36 PM   #4
MVP

bgeno's Arena

OVR: 18

I call a lot of cover 2 man and a lot of blitzes(6 man rushes, not 5)... those 2 calls make up probably 80% of my defense.

On my blitzes, I like the slant the D-line away from where the blitz is coming. So if my outside backers are blitzing inside, I slant the d-line out. If my backers are blitzing outside, I slant the d-line in... pretty simple concept.

Actually defending the deep pass is another thing though. It's tough. Try to defend the man, not the ball. And what I mean by this is if you have a safety coming from overtop, dont run to where u think u can defend the ball before it gets to the reciever, run to where the reciever will catch the ball and defend it just before he can catch it... kind of hard to explain. Not only does this give u a better shot of defending, but it helps you in that if you miss the defense, you're still there to make a tackle.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:39 PM   #5
MVP

Mrcabone's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamafan3723
Don't go for the INT unless you have position. Try to swat the ball away instead. And take a pass interference penalty if necessary to avoid a longer play. Also call defensive plays that have your safeties either doubling up the outs or the slots.
I had the most success when I tried to swat the ball instead of trying to intercept it,it's tough either way.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-10-2005, 10:32 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

J0nnD0ugh's Arena

OVR: 27

Don't be afraid to interfere. The game doesn't call the penalties correctly. Just do it subtlely. Besides, its only a 15 yd penalty compared to the 50yd haymakers the game delivers.
-August 17, 1960
Thanks, dookies!
Old 12-11-2005, 05:47 AM   #7
MVP

booker21's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0nnD0ugh
Don't be afraid to interfere. The game doesn't call the penalties correctly. Just do it subtlely. Besides, its only a 15 yd penalty compared to the 50yd haymakers the game delivers.
true... you have to interfere, play phisically if the ref called a penalty, it´s only 15 yds....
Old 12-11-2005, 09:58 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0nnD0ugh
Agreed.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »