Home

Cover 2 Zone

This is a discussion on Cover 2 Zone within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-30-2005, 11:01 AM   #1
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75
Cover 2 Zone

Any suggestions for attacking this against the CPU on Heisman? The linebackers are so unbelievably aware at this level that unless you hit short crosses underneath, the WR post pattern seems to be the only real route you can hit against this defense. Most posts work against zone but the LB awareness kills almost everything else. Even the TE post has to be hit perfectly against this which takes time to open up.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-30-2005, 11:43 AM   #2
EA Game Changer

gschwendt's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: Cover 2 Zone

If you send a fair amount of receivers across the middle at various levels (short, mid, long) and as well have a receiver running a go down the sideline, ONE of them will be open.

Also, if you have a 3 receiver set to one side, have one on a go, one on a short curl and one on a streak across the field. Then for good measure, its always a pretty good idea to have a RB run a streak (staying behind the LOS) to the wide side of the field.
Old 12-30-2005, 12:11 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2

throw post and out routes. key to time between the LB and S zones.
Old 12-30-2005, 02:58 PM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
Any suggestions for attacking this against the CPU on Heisman? The linebackers are so unbelievably aware at this level that unless you hit short crosses underneath, the WR post pattern seems to be the only real route you can hit against this defense. Most posts work against zone but the LB awareness kills almost everything else. Even the TE post has to be hit perfectly against this which takes time to open up.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2271514

Don't know if you've seen this or not, or if this would even carry over very well to the way the computer plays it, but it gives a good description of the cover 2, as well as defensive responsibilities and ways to attack it. Click on the link in the gray box that says 'closer look at the cover 2.'
Old 12-30-2005, 04:38 PM   #5
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by djcnyc1
throw post and out routes. key to time between the LB and S zones.
I don't find they run the deep out far enough to get between the corner and S. That's what I find annoying. You should be able to exploit the sideline between the S and CB but I don't think its possible on Heisman. Sometimes the TE running an out-and-up down the sideline can be successful but its tough to rely on that. I find corner routes rarely effective and they should be against the cover 2.

Throwing deep and posts seems to be the only real solution to the cover 2 zone in NCAA on heisman because of the LBs. LBs play like all-pro corners. They drop deep enough to defend balls 20 yards downfield yet still clog up all the short stuff. Its just frustrating sometimes when you don't want to rely on the deep ball and they force you to play bombs away to be successful.

Thanks for the input so far. If you have any particular play you like against it (formation and play call), please let me know. All of the plays for every formation can be found here as well:
http://www.sportsgameratings.com/modules/NCAAdisplay/

UAB has a 5 wide formation which I use. Maybe I should try to use the Middle Clear or Curl Flats play they have (http://www.sportsgameratings.com/mod...=shotgun5wide).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-07-2006, 05:08 PM   #6
Rookie

Send a WR fly from the slot, and then run a corner from the wide WR. (an underneath route on that side helps hold the CB, not always necessary though.)

The key is to wait until the fly WR fully engages the S. Then hit the corner while leading the WR back to the inside of the field. That's key so the pass doesn't just run the WR out of bounds.

This is a staple in my playbook because my friends run the cover-2 on me all the time.
Old 01-07-2006, 08:03 PM   #7
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigs
The key is to wait until the fly WR fully engages the S. Then hit the corner while leading the WR back to the inside of the field. That's key so the pass doesn't just run the WR out of bounds.
Thanks. I never usually lead my WRs since I don't do it well. Do you just put a little pressure on the analog stick to do it? How good are you at leading your WR?
Old 01-08-2006, 10:22 AM   #8
Rookie

I jam the stick in the opposite direction of the sideline. Most of the time it's pretty good. Only occasionally is it too much.

Whenever I lead my WRs, it's always a complete jam on the analog stick. I only lead either low (or short throw) or behind the WR. I lead low on outs and crosses so they have to come back a bit to get the ball. That usually helps get the WR's body between the defender and the ball. I lead bahind the WR against zone defense if I want the WR to stop in the zone he was in when I threw the ball. (otherwise you'll lead him back into coverage)

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »