Home

Study of EA Predetermined Wins & Losses

This is a discussion on Study of EA Predetermined Wins & Losses within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-01-2006, 03:30 PM   #17
EA Game Changer

gschwendt's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: Study of EA Predetermined Wins & Losses

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFinn
Predetermined outcomes are what made me quit playing NCAA a while ago. I remember the exact game that made me quit. I fumbled the opening kickoff and the CPU scored. I continued to play but had to quit to go some where so I just turned off the game. When I went to play the same game again, I fumbled the opening kickoff again. Thinking that it was too much a coincidence, I quit the game again and restarted... Well what do you know, I fumbled the opening kickoff again... I did it one more time with the same result and quit playing the game forever, never to return to the series.

That doesn't include all the times the CPU QB would throw an underarm 50 yd bomb TD facing the wrong way while being sacked late in the game to win.
I havent started the "study" yet but in just playing around, I've noticed that if you play a game and dont like the results, if you dont finish it or dont save the your profile and play the game again with the same teams, you'll get similar antics... for some reason NCAA 06 seems much worse than years past, but that might just be me.
Old 03-01-2006, 03:32 PM   #18
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphik
Umm...there is no reason to conduct a study on this. EA just programs their games with a cheat logic. This is'nt just regulated to NCAA, countless threads have been brought up in each one of EA's forums.
Thats my long winded thoery and I'm sticking to it.
I simply disagree.
Old 03-01-2006, 05:37 PM   #19
MVP

OVR: 18

I don't think the games are pre-determined in the sense that the game has decided you will win or lose and will make everything go that way. However, there is undoubtedly a "randomness" programmed in so that teams can have great or mediocre games. Without this, teams would always lay to their ratings and the better team would always win. That's not real. I usually see one game per season where it's evident that one team is having a great game while the other is having just a miserable day and I've been on both ends of it. When this occurs, it makes it that much more noticeable. But every sports games has this to some extent. It happens in real life too.
Old 03-02-2006, 11:02 AM   #20
Pr*s*n*r#70460649

Graphik's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauminator
It's not just a couple players that can come out flat in a game. Entire teams do it-I see it all the time.

Video games are meant to be mastered? I disagree. Maybe some. Sports games are meant to be facsimiles of the real thing, giving people a medium through which they can live out their fantasies as athletes, coaches, or managers. They are meant to be realistic. Implementing the possibility that a team can do no wrong in a given game and fail miserably against their best efforts in another is an excellent touch of realism. Frustrating, yes, but real.

Of course sports games are meant to be mastered. If not, why are there certain levels of difficulty? Why do sports games need a easy, medium and hard difficulty setting if the game was sopposed to mimic the real thing? Everyone has some common knowledge of the sport they're playing, everyone does'nt have the joystick jockeying skills and/or play calling skills it requires to beat the cpu AI on the hardest levels. Therefor, a degree of difficulty is administered to suit the users ability.
Old 03-02-2006, 02:03 PM   #21
Pro

Dauminator's Arena

OVR: 5

I agree entirely that difficulty and AI settings were put in so that skill at video games is not a factor in the enjoyment of the game. How this shows that sports games are meant to be mastered, I do not know. Not everyone seeks to dominate and perfect their skills. To me, sports games-all games-are made to be enjoyed as simple entertainment. If mastering the game is how you derive amusement in your gaming, kudos for your accomplishments. I, for one, enjoy the games as a way to pass a little time every once in a while and do things I don't normally get a chance to do, like coach Iowa to a Rose Bowl win.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-02-2006, 03:38 PM   #22
MVP

edaddy's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
I agree entirely that difficulty and AI settings were put in so that skill at video games is not a factor in the enjoyment of the game. How this shows that sports games are meant to be mastered, I do not know. Not everyone seeks to dominate and perfect their skills. To me, sports games-all games-are made to be enjoyed as simple entertainment. If mastering the game is how you derive amusement in your gaming, kudos for your accomplishments. I, for one, enjoy the games as a way to pass a little time every once in a while and do things I don't normally get a chance to do, like coach Iowa to a Rose Bowl win.
Exactly..That's why i don't get caught up in that putting it up to the highest difficulty crap!!! Especialy if the highest difficulty plays an unrealistic game of football>>>I usually set the games at a level that gives me the most enjoyment and realistic outcomes...Like you I enjoy the games as a way to pass some time...
Old 03-02-2006, 04:23 PM   #23
Pr*s*n*r#70460649

Graphik's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:

I by no means consider myself a master of sports video games. I'm the type of guy that plays it how its meant to be played. Anyway, the thread originator stated that the outcome of games are predetermined. I dont think the game is scripted but there is some instances where the game takes it upon itself to dish up some BS. Mostly in the 2nd in 4th quaters of a game. But even if you dont play to take advange of the cpu AI, there are tons of ppl who do and that is why there is a cheat logic.
Old 03-02-2006, 04:34 PM   #24
Pro

davehughes14's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Nicely put Dauminator. So, come fall, who will you be rooting for? Iowa or Mich. State?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »