Home

Played a great game of NCAA today...

This is a discussion on Played a great game of NCAA today... within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-18-2006, 03:49 PM   #1
NL MVP

Sportsforever's Arena

OVR: 23
Played a great game of NCAA today...

...but it was with NCAA 2004. I haven't played the game in about a year, but I just thought I would throw it in. I have to say, it really does play a better game than NCAA 06. The CPU only tried 2 deep balls the entire time. The rest were short routes that the WR actually caught. I had forgotten how nice this game actually was. I played Tennessee @ ND (Me). It was a defensive struggle, but I ended up winning 17-0. Tennessee had a 31 yd TD run called back by holding, and another drive stalled out on 4th down inside the 5. The ball phsyics are much better in 04. I hadn't realized it, but compared to 04, the ball physics in 06 are too lively (like a popcorn kernal popping). Also, there were plenty of penalties called. 9 on UT, 7 on me. I am hoping that for 07 we see more 04 and less of the last 2 years.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-19-2006, 11:48 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 18
Re: Played a great game of NCAA today...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsforever
...but it was with NCAA 2004. I haven't played the game in about a year, but I just thought I would throw it in. I have to say, it really does play a better game than NCAA 06. The CPU only tried 2 deep balls the entire time. The rest were short routes that the WR actually caught. I had forgotten how nice this game actually was. I played Tennessee @ ND (Me). It was a defensive struggle, but I ended up winning 17-0. Tennessee had a 31 yd TD run called back by holding, and another drive stalled out on 4th down inside the 5. The ball phsyics are much better in 04. I hadn't realized it, but compared to 04, the ball physics in 06 are too lively (like a popcorn kernal popping). Also, there were plenty of penalties called. 9 on UT, 7 on me. I am hoping that for 07 we see more 04 and less of the last 2 years.
I just re-ordered NCAA 2004 on Ebay. I've been playing 06 since it came out. I still like 06 but I want to go back and try 2004 again as I remember it didn't have some of the annoying things that are in 06. I'm sure I'll see other flaws that I don't remember but for $10 including shipping, it should be worth it. No deep ball issue and a good short passing game, I can't wait to get it.

I also popped in ESPN NFL 2K4 last night and had a blast. It's crazy how we stop playing great games just because new editions are out with newer rosters rather than because the game isn't fun anymore...
Old 03-19-2006, 08:50 PM   #3
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16

It's kinda funny really - Madden 2004 (I know many PC fans like 2004 better anyway), 2K4 and NCAA 2004 are arguably the best versions of all series, atleast as far as gameplay is concerned.
Old 03-20-2006, 01:52 AM   #4
BTB
Th*s **n't s** w*rld

BTB's Arena

OVR: 16

I dunno about that, I think the control scheme and new gameplay features make 2006 the best version of NCAA. Maybe not from a realism standpoint, but I definitely have the most fun playing NCAA 2006 with my friends, out of any videogame in fact...

The dynasty will return

Paul Pierce... talent + heart + toughness = The Truth
Old 03-24-2006, 10:26 AM   #5
MVP

TWOSILK's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nza
It's kinda funny really - Madden 2004 (I know many PC fans like 2004 better anyway), 2K4 and NCAA 2004 are arguably the best versions of all series, atleast as far as gameplay is concerned.
i think ea quit making good games after the 04 series because i still like madden 04 better than 05 or 06 and ncaa was just so pure that good had everything you see on saturdays now they are more flash and no substance go back to "if its in the game its in the game" and i will go back to spending my hard earned money on new games until then i will stick to getting them used and knowing what i am getting
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-24-2006, 10:36 AM   #6
MVP

Mizzou23's Arena

OVR: 13

I love dynasty mode, so the 55 man roster limit in '04 is a killer for me. I would have to agree that '04 was probably my favorite version of the game for me though. It was a little too easy to blow teams out if you had a really talented squad, but I don't remember as many flaws overall with that game.

I preferred the PS2 version. Maybe I will try to get into it again. I think I still have my franchise saved on my PS2 memory card.
Old 03-24-2006, 10:44 AM   #7
MVP

TWOSILK's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou23
I love dynasty mode, so the 55 man roster limit in '04 is a killer for me. I would have to agree that '04 was probably my favorite version of the game for me though. It was a little too easy to blow teams out if you had a really talented squad, but I don't remember as many flaws overall with that game.

I preferred the PS2 version. Maybe I will try to get into it again. I think I still have my franchise saved on my PS2 memory card.
yeah if you build a powerhouse you would be on the good end of a blowout but if you had a inferior squad the cpu had no problem running up the score and i like that this year there seems to be something in the game that keeps all games close even with two totally unmatched teams every time you seem to be pulling away you always commit a turnover or just cant seem to move the ball thru the air or on the ground
Old 03-24-2006, 11:09 AM   #8
MVP

OVR: 18

I received my copy of 2004 last night, tweaked the sliders based on the last set by Bill Abner, hopped into a quick game and was amazed. There were no super LBs warping 10 yards to swat passes while playing zone. Passing was much more intuitive and smooth than in 06 as well. I got my *** handed to me by USC playing as ND but not because I couldn't do anything. In 06, it seems in most games one of the teams can't do anything right but stays in the game with deep balls. drives tend to be 3 and out or TDs mostly. In 2004, it seems like there aremore short passes that can lead you gain a few first downs and have to punt then instead of "all or nothing".

I've had a blast with 06 since it came out, despite the flaws but I just didn't remember how enjoyable 2004 is. I'll stick with this one for quite a while I think.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »