Home

Anyone else worried about the 360 version?

This is a discussion on Anyone else worried about the 360 version? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-26-2006, 02:44 PM   #17
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51
Re: Anyone else worried about the 360 version?

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenegt
LBzrule has done a great job outlining the core problems with EA's football engines
EA would be well served to hire LBzrule as the lead tester and "opinions" man IMO. In fact, EA would be well served to hire 10 or so of the OS posters in the football forums that are not only longtime fans of the game, the videogame, but also able to write fairly well. I believe I fall into that category but unfortunately I doubt that EA would ever be interested in bringing in any of us other than as bottom feeding testers.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 04-27-2006, 12:09 AM   #18
Rookie

tigerfan2's Arena

OVR: 6

I am worried about the option. Will NCAA 360 have a good option game. If it is like Madden I feel like it will be to floaty. I hope that they do.
Old 04-27-2006, 01:40 AM   #19
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier12
I'm thinking the same, only I have both a PS2 and XBox

In the past, the first football games on new consoles tend to be pretty poor, Madden 2001 aside.

I agree, and will be doing the same as well.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:47 AM   #20
Pro

DoubleDeuce's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
Personally, I like NCAA '05 and NCAA '06. but thats just me.
It is to some degree a matter of personal taste, but the passing game on NCAA '05 was fundamentally broken, and the Xbox version was almost unplayable (and it was unplayable in 16:9 mode). '06 was better, but it's still hard to call a game good when it gets the sport wrong in basic ways. It should not be exponentially easier to complete 50 yard passes than it is to complete 5 yard passes. That changes the game in a way that makes it unrecognizable to how it is actually played in the real world.
Old 05-03-2006, 10:13 AM   #21
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
Actually the main issues stem far beyond suction blocking. This is just the one that finally has to be eradicated. There are other issues that really need to be addressed as much as the suction blocking. For starters the game needs real blocking schemes with progressions. This is one of the fundamental reasons why Quarters, Dime and all those defenses that should not work against the running game from certain offensive formations works. Secondly another fundamental reason those defenses work is because of a lack of a physics engine. If offensive linemen used their wing span/ arm length and hands to deal with defenders it would make it much easier for them to block the CB coming from 5 yds outside.

Another issue here is double team blocking. This one is important because in order for the 3-4 and in the case of NCAA the 3-3-5 to work properly the NT MUST draw a double team. He must or the defense is shot. And if you have the personell that should draw a double then he should draw a double.

Pile on tackling : this was one of the reason people complained so much about NCAA 2006 about the RB's being too powerful. It wasn't that the RB's were too powerful it was that pile on tackling did not exist. Had it been a part of the game, the RB's would have looked alot more realistic.

These are some of the issues that really need to be dealt with.
There is the heart of the problem. Too many Napoleon Dynamite types (ie Band Nerds) on these development staffs and not enough LBzrule types. Have you heard ONE developer, Producer, etc. break it down like that during his interview? No. What we get is "we put so much into making the guy getting his beer in the stands actually look like he is thirsty.." or "we made sure the lines on the field were regulation size by sending out AT MINIMUM 5 interns to every D1 stadium on the East Coast to make sure we give the gamer the most realistic feeling possible..."
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-03-2006, 11:04 AM   #22
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by njskillz
There is the heart of the problem. Too many Napoleon Dynamite types (ie Band Nerds) on these development staffs and not enough LBzrule types. Have you heard ONE developer, Producer, etc. break it down like that during his interview? No. What we get is "we put so much into making the guy getting his beer in the stands actually look like he is thirsty.." or "we made sure the lines on the field were regulation size by sending out AT MINIMUM 5 interns to every D1 stadium on the East Coast to make sure we give the gamer the most realistic feeling possible..."
I agree, it's a classic case of football people not being involved enough. I read that on the show House they have 6 doctors on the staff of writers. That type of thing needs to be going on over at EA. As far as I know from reading their interviews what they do is basically talk to coaches, players and then go back to their HQ and program.

What they need is one or more people who are coaches/players that are involved EVERY DAY not just on an occasional interview basis. Even Madden himself only looks at the game once a month I believe, that's not enough, it should be EVERY DAY. Until this happens then the game will never get to where it needs to be.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 05-03-2006, 11:26 AM   #23
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
I agree, it's a classic case of football people not being involved enough. I read that on the show House they have 6 doctors on the staff of writers. That type of thing needs to be going on over at EA. As far as I know from reading their interviews what they do is basically talk to coaches, players and then go back to their HQ and program.

What they need is one or more people who are coaches/players that are involved EVERY DAY not just on an occasional interview basis. Even Madden himself only looks at the game once a month I believe, that's not enough, it should be EVERY DAY. Until this happens then the game will never get to where it needs to be.
Exactly! And let me tell you something, that "talking to players thing" is very overrated. I happen to be lucky enough to live in an area where I come into contact with Eagles players all the time. A majority go to the same barbershop I go to. Based on various conversations I have and heard with some of the players, I can safely say I think a developer could get more from talking to a few of us than they could a number actual players. This might not be the case for a player like say a Marshall Faulk who I hear really studies the game. The impression I've developed is that a number of these guys are just passionate about the money, not the actual game. I would probably be the same way, my point being I'm not as quick to give so much weight to the input of players into a game.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:55 AM   #24
Rookie

OVR: 1

Im not worried at all about the 360 version. I've already conceded to the fact that it will be a bad game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »