Home

No excuse for the 360's lack of updated playbooks!!!

This is a discussion on No excuse for the 360's lack of updated playbooks!!! within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-20-2006, 02:15 PM   #1
Rookie

VolPett's Arena

OVR: 5
No excuse for the 360's lack of updated playbooks!!!

There is no excuse for the 360 version not including the updated playbooks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGN
But if you're looking for maybe the biggest change in the series, all you need to do is open the playbooks. I'm talking about the biggest playbook overhaul in the history of the series. Tiburon hired two offensive gurus who watched at least three games of every team, then went in and personalized each and every playbook. There are 102 new formations in the game (86 on offense, 16 on defense), including the spread offense that includes option runs to the WR, the double slant and go, the post stop, the Nevada Pistol formation (QB stands 3 yards deep with a RB directly behind him)…there are so many new plays, it's almost overwhelming (to the point you'll get called for delay of game while cycling through all the new hotness). There is also greater variety in the formations you already know. Just because USC and Texas both have I formations, that doesn't mean they both run the same plays out of the I. Now USC's I looks more like a pro setup, while Texas uses the I to run more options.

There are approximately 17 formations per team, including 270 plays.
To me this was going to be one of the biggest steps forward that the series has taken in years. How can that be apart of a "curent gen" game and left out of a "next-gen game?" Isn't that bass ackwards? I am just so disapointed, I thought that NCAA '07 wouldn't be stripped down like Madden '06 due to the added developmental time.

To me nothing says next gen more than 102 new formations and personalized playbooks for each team. I feel totally cheated.

Who cares if you can see the swoosh on player's gloves? Who cares is the shadows correspond to the time of day? Who was the producer or game designer that made the choice to leave out the upgraded playbooks? To me that is a huge mistake and stripps the game of its next gen label.

I was also extremely disapointed to miss out on the stadium pulse, slightly disapointed to miss out on ESPN the magazine covers, and was flat out glad to miss out on the "campus legend" feature. But what other features are we going to miss out on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGN
Another little feature that has been added could end up paying huge dividends as quarterbacks finally have the option to throw the ball away from the pocket. This way, if you're feeling the rush, you no longer have to try and scramble before launching the ball out of bounds. The new option actually looks like you're trying to complete the pass, throwing the ball toward a receiver, but it will bounce at his feet. It's a nice safety valve to have, especially if your QB isn't fleet of cleat. You have to be responsible with this new ability, though, especially because you're throwing the ball in the field of play. A bad throw is always liable to get picked off if the defense is in the right position or if you are throwing off balance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGN
One of the big AI fixes is aimed at stopping scrambling quarterbacks. Last year's game in particular was ruled by running QBs as the defense failed to recognize when he was scrambling. The improved AI logic now sees the defense react faster to quarterbacks looking to run, including spies, and even zone defenses who will use more realistic pursuit logic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGN
There is also a new run commit feature to help turn every down into more of a chess match as the defense tries to anticipate the offense's next move. Before the snap, if you sense the offense is going to run straight ahead, you can flick the right analog stick straight down to send your defenders toward the middle of the line (great for stopping the QB sneak). Press the right stick to the right or left to anticipate a direction for the option or sweep, or press up to make sure that nobody bites on play-action. Then again, if you guess wrong, you're in trouble, as a defense selling out to the right while the blockers are rushing left are going to get blown off the ball so bad, there might only be one guy left to beat as the ball carrier sprints toward the sidelines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGN
They are incorporating the pass blocking logic from Madden that eliminated nano blitzing into NCAA, along with adding slide protection. Precision passing (throwing the ball high/low, right/left) has also made the jump, even if (thankfully) the vision cone system did not. Also look for defensive hot routes to make the jump to the amateur ranks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGN
Other gameplay tweaks include more accurate throwing power (you can finally see the difference in velocity between a star QB from USC and some scrub from D2), along with less broken tackles throughout the game. Last year, there were too many small running backs who could all break through the line no problem. This year, it depends more on rating, with the smaller guys slipping tackles instead of trucking over everyone in their way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGN
The new addition to Dynasty is the Spring game. This is your chance at evaluating your talent before the season and working out certain players, as the better they perform in the Spring game, the better their rating will be next year. This enables you to focus on the passing game to help young quarterbacks progress, or watch as your linebacker intercepts a pass and increases his awareness +2. That's why the Spring game isn't focused on your seniors who are already maxed out. It's about building for the future, and that's what laying the foundation for a successful dynasty is all about.
EA how are you going to disapoint us next? Which one of those features will you also take away? Inexcusable!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-20-2006, 02:25 PM   #2
S**c*d* P**l C*-Ch*mp**n

OVR: 40
Re: No excuse for the 360's lack of updated playbooks!!!

Not a big issue for me especially I probably have both version in my house.
Old 04-20-2006, 02:26 PM   #3
Rookie

mesyes25's Arena

OVR: 4

[quote=VolPett]There is no excuse for the 360 version not including the updated playbooks.

Hopefully, we got some playbook increase for next gen, something about the playbooks has to be "next gen"
Old 04-20-2006, 02:34 PM   #4
S**c*d* P**l C*-Ch*mp**n

[quote=mesyes25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VolPett

Hopefully, we got some playbook increase for next gen, something about the playbooks has to be "next gen"
Maybe the improve on they plays
Old 04-20-2006, 03:00 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolPett

To me this was going to be one of the biggest steps forward that the series has taken in years. How can that be apart of a "curent gen" game and left out of a "next-gen game?" Isn't that bass ackwards? I am just so disapointed, I thought that NCAA '07 wouldn't be stripped down like Madden '06 due to the added developmental time.

To me nothing says next gen more than 102 new formations and personalized playbooks for each team. I feel totally cheated.

Who cares if you can see the swoosh on player's gloves? Who cares is the shadows correspond to the time of day? Who was the producer or game designer that made the choice to leave out the upgraded playbooks? To me that is a huge mistake and stripps the game of its next gen label.

I was also extremely disapointed to miss out on the stadium pulse, slightly disapointed to miss out on ESPN the magazine covers, and was flat out glad to miss out on the "campus legend" feature. But what other features are we going to miss out on?

EA how are you going to disapoint us next? Which one of those features will you also take away? Inexcusable!

I'm not for sure the 360 won't have all of the rest of that stuff. Robinson does not mention it. He does mention what will not make the 360 and that's the playbooks, Stadium Pulse, No All Time great teams, no Campus Superstar. He does not get into the rest of the stuff that you are assuming will not make it like throwing away from the pocket, stopping scrambling QB's, Run Commit/Pass Commit feature, Pass Blocking Logic. I'm pretty sure run commit/pass commit will be there. It was in Madden 360.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-20-2006, 03:10 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

Just got an update on the playbooks. Robinson made some mishaps from what I was told. I know Jon was probably excited or something. From what I was told the playbooks in next gen are larger than the ones in current gen. But the next gen just has more basic plays because the focus of the game was on basic game play. The example given to me was that in current gen the game has 12 base formations but in next gen it will be up to 21 base formations for each playbook.
Old 04-20-2006, 03:15 PM   #7
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
Just got an update on the playbooks. Robinson made some mishaps from what I was told. I know Jon was probably excited or something. From what I was told the playbooks in next gen are larger than the ones in current gen. But the next gen just has more basic plays because the focus of the game was on basic game play. The example given to me was that in current gen the game has 12 base formations but in next gen it will be up to 21 base formations for each playbook.
At least that is some improvement. Not feeling the 1st version for the 360 however.
Old 04-20-2006, 03:16 PM   #8
S**c*d* P**l C*-Ch*mp**n

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
Thats great news

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »