Home

The botching of "next gen"....

This is a discussion on The botching of "next gen".... within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-22-2006, 01:34 AM   #49
MVP

OVR: 19
Re: The botching of "next gen"....

Let me start off by saying that I do not own a 360. I don't plan on buying one for a while either. If you guys really want to send EA a message that you won't take the effort and features they put into their games, posting on the appropriate forums, such as this one, are a viable option. Another option, and possibly a better one (if utilized correctly) would be to stop buying the product that they put out.

I know it sounds crazy, but think about it. If EA didn't sell 400000000000 or so copies of a given game every year, they would have to re-evaluate their product and figure out why they aren't reaching their bottom line. Video games are fun, and quite possibly addictive (digitial crack to some), but at the end of the day it's still just a multi-billion dollar business. If the masses continue to bicker and gripe about the low quality product that a given company puts out, in this case EA, but continues to buy it year after year, do you really think that EA would change their strategy? I don't.

This is my proposal. If you really want something to be done, you need to take action. In this case, taking action means not buying games that you don't feel are worth the money. I'm sure there are people who have been coming to and posting on this forum since the beginning who have had some complaint about a certain game and have continued to voice their opinion about it hoping that somebody from EA would read it and find their compassionate side. Seriously, how long have you guys heard the grumbling about offensive and defensive line interaction in the Madden series? If you go back in the post histories, I'd say for as long as this message board has been up. The reality of it is, if EA continues to sell games every year, they have no reason to make anything more than minimal improvements to any series of game that they put out.

I'm not trying to single out EA here, I'm just using them as the example because they are the Big Dog of the sports gaming industry at this time. They have the resources. They have the top notch development teams. Regardless of what they have, however, the quality of the product is dictated by what the consumer will pay for. If you're satisfied with a game that you don't think is perfect even if perfect is what you want, then continue to spend your money and complain. If you want a better product, don't buy something inferior. You shouldn't have to tailor your needs to meet the demands of the manufacturer. They should have to meet the needs of the people who are paying them.

Thank you and have a nice day.
Acts 2:38. Let the truth be told.
John 4:23. He is seeking a seeker.
John 3:20. Say no to normal.
Old 04-22-2006, 10:59 AM   #50
Stayin Alive

GAMEC0CK2002's Arena

OVR: 23

I also don't have a 360 yet, but i'll throw in my 2 cents anyway. I'm not one to defend EA, but some of the responsibility falls on MS with the hardware. It was MS that was really really late on getting the developers the final kits. From what I read they were mainly working with "suped up Macs" for the most part.

Given all that, I wasn't expecting much more than ports and/or HD graphics in this first round of 360 sports games. Going to a new system is gonna have some growing pains. My plan from the start was to sit back and wait on the second batch of next-gen sports games before getting a system.
Old 04-22-2006, 11:06 AM   #51
Stayin Alive

GAMEC0CK2002's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimm44
I'm not trying to single out EA here, I'm just using them as the example because they are the Big Dog of the sports gaming industry at this time. They have the resources. They have the top notch development teams. Regardless of what they have, however, the quality of the product is dictated by what the consumer will pay for. If you're satisfied with a game that you don't think is perfect even if perfect is what you want, then continue to spend your money and complain. If you want a better product, don't buy something inferior. You shouldn't have to tailor your needs to meet the demands of the manufacturer. They should have to meet the needs of the people who are paying them.

Thank you and have a nice day.
Very well said and every member of the Boston Tea party would applaud you. But in reality, the members of OS are the silent minority when it comes to dollars and cents. For every OSer that makes a legitimate claim of improvements needed for the games, I can probably go and find 10 mindless drones that will claim it's the best game(s) ever created. I'm sure the CEO at EA Sports doesn't have any trouble sleeping at night simply b/c of a handful of would be buyers aren't happy with the product.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-22-2006, 11:12 AM   #52
Gatekeeper

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Considering we are just now getting to the 1st version of the 360 game, and the console hasn't even been out that long, most games are still in their first generation for the console, I think it's way premature to declare the sky is falling.

If NCAA does indeed have glaring issues, this will not be a next gen exclusive thing. Both post NCAA 2004 versions, have had glaring issues, on the current gen consoles.
Old 04-22-2006, 11:23 AM   #53
All Star

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimm44
If EA didn't sell 400000000000 or so copies of a given game every year, they would have to re-evaluate their product and figure out why they aren't reaching their bottom line. Video games are fun, and quite possibly addictive (digitial crack to some), but at the end of the day it's still just a multi-billion dollar business. If the masses continue to bicker and gripe about the low quality product that a given company puts out, in this case EA, but continues to buy it year after year, do you really think that EA would change their strategy? I don't.
Your point is valid; we really are our own worst enemies. I liken the situation to the owners/players labor issue in major sports - with us being the owners and EA being the players. Is it the fault of the players if some owner is willing to pay them some outrageous contract? We sit back and complain about exorbiant prices and lackluster product. But while many of us may be willing to sit back and tow the line, many more will break ranks and buy the product anyway. There are too many Dan Snyder/Jerry Jones types within our ranks that don't mind buying a B-product, when we'd all be better off and would have an A-product if we had the discipline.

It's really not a good analogy though, because EA placed themselves in a situation where they're the only game in town - there's just no other option. So most people won't mind playing a B-product if the other option is not playing anything at all. It's really a lose-lose situation for the consumer, because we really can't force EA's hand - they're in a situation where they don't have to worry about competition, so they can move at their own speed.
Old 04-22-2006, 11:41 AM   #54
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAMEC0CK2002
I also don't have a 360 yet, but i'll throw in my 2 cents anyway. I'm not one to defend EA, but some of the responsibility falls on MS with the hardware. It was MS that was really really late on getting the developers the final kits. From what I read they were mainly working with "suped up Macs" for the most part.

Given all that, I wasn't expecting much more than ports and/or HD graphics in this first round of 360 sports games. Going to a new system is gonna have some growing pains. My plan from the start was to sit back and wait on the second batch of next-gen sports games before getting a system.
You cant blame MS for this year. EA has had the dev kits since last June....thats almost a year. Thats plenty of time to work on the game.
Old 04-22-2006, 12:03 PM   #55
Stayin Alive

GAMEC0CK2002's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
You cant blame MS for this year. EA has had the dev kits since last June....thats almost a year. Thats plenty of time to work on the game.
Yeah, but graphics are probably the easiest thing to fix. Gameplay will take some time to get polished.

At some point you have to choose your poison, especially in the first batch of games.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-22-2006, 02:19 PM   #56
Rookie

OVR: 2

I could not agree with you more about STRIPPED Next Gen Games. When the NCAA on the PS1 transitioned to the PS2 i thought I was going to be "Blown Away" In the PS1 version we had custom plays, deep dynasty, and control over the game. So when the PS2 came out I assumed that all of the PS1 features would be in the game PLUS a visual upgrade and added featues becasue of depth in a more powerful system.

What we got shocked me... Eye candy.. No doubt PS2 looked great and played a bit better BUT we lost much of total game depth for the graphics upgrade.

The game was STRIPPED. Now in the PS2 version we have a great game, even with its faults, 06 game is great. What I am afraid will happen is we will get a better looking game but one that is stripped of all teh awesome features.

I love the idea of the new features in the 07 game.. deeper playbooks for one and corrected game play, heck even the Campus leadgend looks cool for a differnt gaming experience. But what does that mean for the PS3? Will we get a stripped game OR will it have all the current features AND THEN SOME?
I realise the 360 version is not going ot be loaded but what I am hoping is that EA and Sony still have a working relationship and that EA did not have time, due to getting teh 360 info to put every thing in the game

but please EA do not strip the game. you have a great thing going...just keep adding and tweaking....

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »