Home

Can 2k Sports make a college game?

This is a discussion on Can 2k Sports make a college game? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-23-2006, 11:30 PM   #17
MVP

OVR: 11
Re: Can 2k Sports make a college game?

Well you can't assume who will make a better game when the 2 companies are competing.

I mean, if there was a competition than both games are going to try to top each other every year. There were times when World Series 2k was the bestsm game, than MVP came out and took that spot.

Live used to be the only basketball title that had any quality, that is until NBA 2k popped onto the scene.

NFL2k5 was gaining ground on Madden...we could have witnessed a switch in football.

I hear 2k is entering Boxing...I hope it is true because FN;R3i s a good game...but it didn't add enough to it to me.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:17 AM   #18
EA Game Changer

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAIRDALE_KINGS
How did NFL 2k5 show that the college game would be awesome?

NFL 2k5 was nothing more than eye-candy and played like garbage. The playbooks were abysmal. At the time my four year old son could beat anyone that he played online and offline running the same FB dive play with Mike Alstott and Tampa Bay. So don't tell me that NFL 2k5 was a great game. No strategy was needed and the AI was horrible.

And even if you did enjoy the game... it doesn't mean that 2K would make a great college football game. Hell, right now 2K can't even make glitch free games. There are many people that still can't play MLB 2K6. College Hoops 2k6 became a frisbee after the patch. And the Hockey game was a joke.
Its all about realism with 2k, madden is still behind 2k5. in 2k you didnt have suction blocking, or forced tackles...2k football looked and was alot more fluid.

Ever hear of sliders, also?

I would take those AI problems over suction blocking and predetermined tackles every year.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:29 AM   #19
Pro

FAIRDALE_KINGS's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueduke
FK if your only beef with NHL 2K6 is the freezes I can understand your gripe. Luckily I'm not having those issues but I was under the impression it was b/c of the gameplay itself. NHL2K has some of the best A.I. in any sports game imo. As for "kool aide drinkers" there are plenty in both camps.

I agree with you that EA's NCAA football series is the best (and most fun to play) pigskin game on the market and I'm not saying 2K could top it but going on a game that was quickly put together 6 years ago is not a valid assessment of what kind of game they could make today. Just as Triple Play was improved from trash to a great game I'm sure a college football game effort by 2K would be better too.
Yes, my only gripe is the freezes. But that is a "big" gripe if you can't actually play the game. I do enjoy the gameplay whenever I can play though.

Right now it is pretty useless to debate if 2K would make a great college football game because EA has the right locked up. But competition does make everyone better and I agree that competition is what helped make the transition from Triple Play to MVP baseball a great series.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:37 AM   #20
MVP

BROman's Arena

in regards to 2k's cfb game, they didn't immerse themselves into college football. they instead tried to slap college colors and espn logos on the 2k2 engine and came out w/ an inferior product. to make a game that will sell to a fan base as passionate and boarderline insane as the college football nation, vc needed to marry cfb. instead, they just dated.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:56 AM   #21
Stayin Alive

GAMEC0CK2002's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROman
in regards to 2k's cfb game, they didn't immerse themselves into college football. they instead tried to slap college colors and espn logos on the 2k2 engine and came out w/ an inferior product. to make a game that will sell to a fan base as passionate and boarderline insane as the college football nation, vc needed to marry cfb. instead, they just dated.
totally agree. i loved the nfl 2k series but that college game was absolute garbage. i know right before it came saying that if they just took the nfl 2k engine and give it college uni's it would be a great game. boy oh boy, was i wrong.

you couldn't even use a speed burst if you ran the option with the QB.

i do think VC NOW would be able to make a good college FB game. We would be 100% gauranteed to get the college pagentry and presentation.

One thing I don't get is how almost every VC/Take 2 sports game has huge glaring bugs that make it thru QA testing. As prevelant as it has been, one has to believe they know it's there and just don't care.

Last edited by GAMEC0CK2002; 04-24-2006 at 11:00 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-24-2006, 01:00 PM   #22
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Trust us when we say after playing the last ESPN college game you don't want them to make one. Abysmal!

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 04-24-2006, 01:38 PM   #23
MVP

noplace's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
Trust us when we say after playing the last ESPN college game you don't want them to make one. Abysmal!
Lol @ yall acting like VC couldnt have made improvments 3 yrs later....EA is the company standing in place with they're developmental team...They cant even impliment PI instead they have predetermined penalties, gang tackling? player interaction? sliding into catch animations (Lol),Suction blocking..(Wow) collison detection (Wow) the list goes on & on....EA has given us the same game since 2002 & yall are happy with that? But they are quick to add a stupid mode like RFTH or Campus Legend, bowling, tug of war...WTF does that have to do with CFB? Like NCAA is some kind of RPG or something...We want realism and they give us 11 on 11 version of Cyber ball....2K College football game was garbage but I have to believe it would have gotten alot better by now.
Old 04-24-2006, 03:11 PM   #24
MVP

BROman's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by noplace
Lol @ yall acting like VC couldnt have made improvments 3 yrs later....EA is the company standing in place with they're developmental team...They cant even impliment PI instead they have predetermined penalties, gang tackling? player interaction? sliding into catch animations (Lol),Suction blocking..(Wow) collison detection (Wow) the list goes on & on....EA has given us the same game since 2002 & yall are happy with that? But they are quick to add a stupid mode like RFTH or Campus Legend, bowling, tug of war...WTF does that have to do with CFB? Like NCAA is some kind of RPG or something...We want realism and they give us 11 on 11 version of Cyber ball....2K College football game was garbage but I have to believe it would have gotten alot better by now.
hey, they call me just the facts. everybody else adjusts the facts.

they might have gotten better, a la college hoops, but they made two games (a dreamcast one first), and neither of them were worth a cold pint of piss. they discontinued the series rather than trying again, and imo they either didn't want to put what they needed to into making a top notch cfb game, or they knew that they were no match for ea, dispite its flaws.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »