Home

Idea on recruiting in NCAA 06

This is a discussion on Idea on recruiting in NCAA 06 within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-24-2006, 01:41 PM   #1
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16
Idea on recruiting in NCAA 06

I've read many posts over the past few months here and elsewhere emphasising NCAA 06's lack of difficulty when it comes to recruiting. I too agree - it is far too easy to get the best recruiting class even with B teams.

However, I noticed recently with Recruiting Assistance on in the coach strategy menu, the CPU will auto recruit players for you in areas you may need depth in and are neglecting yourself. This got me thinking - would the CPU do everything if I did nothing, using the same AI it uses for CPU controlled teams?

I gave it a go. What I did was do the in season recruiting myself. The way I usually do this is choose 4 players, 4 star quality or better, and give them each 25 points, or if there's someone I really want, i'll give him slightly more points.

At the season's end, I got 3 of my 4 in season targets - a 5 star WR, and two 4 Star G's. The WR ended up at 80 OVR, the two guards 78 OVR.

Then came the offseason, and I put my theory to the test. I went to recruiting as normal, but chose to skip to "next week" every week without recruiting one player myself.

Low and behold, it worked. My end result was 24 freshmen recruits - 1 x 5 star (that WR from the inseason recruiting), 7 x 4 star (2 of which were my G's), 7 x 3 star, and 9 x 2 star. The best part was, my recruiting class was ranked 10th - I'm 10-2 #3 Iowa State heading into this offseason, and have 6 full star's in program prestige and 4 stars in Academics. The CPU also seemed to do a fine job recruiting in areas I needed the most help.

Has anyone else ever thought of simulating the recruiting period before? I haven't read the idea anywhere, so I thought I might share it incase someone else is fed up with the dead easy recruiting and wants more of a long term challenge. A few more years of this and my Hawkeyes will be back down to earth from their A+ status.

I know, recruiting is half the game for some people, but even if it wasn't as easy as it is, it's pretty boring IMO, all I see are basically the same guys every year with different names. I do enjoy finding gems and getting guys of specific styles (like small speedy WR's, massive DT's etc), but to me, this new found element of realism in recruiting is far more welcome. Coupled with PM's Level 3 gameday slider set, I might actually have a long term challenge on my hands.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-24-2006, 04:59 PM   #2
nxt
H**sm*n

nxt's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: Idea on recruiting in NCAA 06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nza
I've read many posts over the past few months here and elsewhere emphasising NCAA 06's lack of difficulty when it comes to recruiting. I too agree - it is far too easy to get the best recruiting class even with B teams.

However, I noticed recently with Recruiting Assistance on in the coach strategy menu, the CPU will auto recruit players for you in areas you may need depth in and are neglecting yourself. This got me thinking - would the CPU do everything if I did nothing, using the same AI it uses for CPU controlled teams?

I gave it a go. What I did was do the in season recruiting myself. The way I usually do this is choose 4 players, 4 star quality or better, and give them each 25 points, or if there's someone I really want, i'll give him slightly more points.

At the season's end, I got 3 of my 4 in season targets - a 5 star WR, and two 4 Star G's. The WR ended up at 80 OVR, the two guards 78 OVR.

Then came the offseason, and I put my theory to the test. I went to recruiting as normal, but chose to skip to "next week" every week without recruiting one player myself.

Low and behold, it worked. My end result was 24 freshmen recruits - 1 x 5 star (that WR from the inseason recruiting), 7 x 4 star (2 of which were my G's), 7 x 3 star, and 9 x 2 star. The best part was, my recruiting class was ranked 10th - I'm 10-2 #3 Iowa State heading into this offseason, and have 6 full star's in program prestige and 4 stars in Academics. The CPU also seemed to do a fine job recruiting in areas I needed the most help.

Has anyone else ever thought of simulating the recruiting period before? I haven't read the idea anywhere, so I thought I might share it incase someone else is fed up with the dead easy recruiting and wants more of a long term challenge. A few more years of this and my Hawkeyes will be back down to earth from their A+ status.

I know, recruiting is half the game for some people, but even if it wasn't as easy as it is, it's pretty boring IMO, all I see are basically the same guys every year with different names. I do enjoy finding gems and getting guys of specific styles (like small speedy WR's, massive DT's etc), but to me, this new found element of realism in recruiting is far more welcome. Coupled with PM's Level 3 gameday slider set, I might actually have a long term challenge on my hands.
Interesting idea. I'll try it on my next dynasty. There definitely comes a point when recruiting gets too easy. Especially, if you start off with a decent program. I've always turned off assisted recruiting and done all of my own recruiting because as you said it's half the fun. However, I'm willing to try something new to see if it makes things more challenging when building/re-building a program. Good idea to manually recruit during the season and assist recruit during the off-season, so I'll still enjoy some of the recruiting.

Do you have have assisted recruiting on at the start? or do you turn it on after the season?
Old 04-24-2006, 11:07 PM   #3
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16

I just leave it on, I never see it influence my in season recruiting at all.
Old 04-25-2006, 02:58 PM   #4
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

They need to add a recruiting slider to help us with this. Furthermore, they need stamina, injury and fumble sliders as well.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »