Home

360 on non HDTV's

This is a discussion on 360 on non HDTV's within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-01-2006, 09:47 PM   #9
Rookie

okieraider's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: 360 on non HDTV's

I have a HDTV and am getting ready to purchase a 360 and have a SDTV question. Has anyone here played on a SDTV with component jacks. I have a 36" JVC SDTV in my office that I game on when the family is watching a movie on the HDTV. How does the 360 through component on a good SDTV look compared to HDTV?
Old 06-01-2006, 10:38 PM   #10
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsDayD1978
I've read guys on other boards talk about this same topic. There are some who are inclined to think that there is not that big of a difference in how the 360 games look on standard TV and HDTV. I would venture to say that the guys who say that do not own an HDTV.
Either that or the HDTV they've seen the 360 on is a piece of junk el cheapo set *OR* the 360 isn't connected up to the HD properly. HDTV's are just like any product in that there are massive differences in quality. Comparing a very good SDTV to a very mediocre HDTV may yield a minimal difference but a good SDTV to a good HDTV is like the difference of night and day.

As for the HD hookups, there are alot of people who buy an HD set and then complain they don't see much of a difference. At work I mentioned to someone as to how I got my HDTV and "WOW WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!" and she said "not really much of a difference, I got an HD set and it looks just slightly better". So I go over to her house and sure enough, she's not using the HD aspect of her TV. Once I fixed it there was a huge difference.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 06-03-2006, 03:29 AM   #11
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by okieraider
I have a HDTV and am getting ready to purchase a 360 and have a SDTV question. Has anyone here played on a SDTV with component jacks. I have a 36" JVC SDTV in my office that I game on when the family is watching a movie on the HDTV. How does the 360 through component on a good SDTV look compared to HDTV?
I just got my 360 and tried that out. I have a 17" LCD HDTV and it looked great on there. Then I hooked the 360 up to a 36" Wega with components. The difference is very noticable. While it still looks good on a SDTV, you feel like its missing something after seeing it in HD.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-05-2006, 07:58 PM   #12
Rookie

okieraider's Arena

Thanks. Maybe I'll get the MS VGA cable and use my 20" LCD.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:12 PM   #13
MVP

Spanky's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
So I go over to her house and sure enough, she's not using the HD aspect of her TV. Once I fixed it there was a huge difference.
What HD aspect are you talking about? What adjustments need to be made?
Old 06-05-2006, 10:22 PM   #14
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky
What HD aspect are you talking about? What adjustments need to be made?
Well in her case she hadn't turned on HD in the box, it was still outputting at 480i. In the Comcast box you have to go into the setup menu and actually change it. Once I changed to 1080i there was (obviously) an immediate difference.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 06-05-2006, 10:34 PM   #15
MVP

jrivera34's Arena

OVR: 10

I originally played my XBox 360 games on my 36" STD Sony Wega and then I decided to take the plung and I bought a 37" Phillips LCD at Costco.

After a few month's I decided that HDTV is a big hype machine and not worth the money right now (In my opinion). So I returned the HDTV to Costco and I am now back to my Sony Wega. I will say that live sports in HD was a thing of beauty. But I was expecting to be blown away with the HDTV + 360 and I was not. I set the TV and 360 to 720p and 1080i, and like I said not too impressed.

In my opinion, there was a huge difference in brightness and a small difference in sharpness. My Sony Wega still produces are really nice picture.

When more HD channels become available, I will then buy an HDTV. I may even buy the same TV at Costco. Solid TV, but I thought the $2,000 could be used in better ways (help pay for my new kitchen!).

This is obviously just my opinion, but gaming in HD is not what I was hoping for.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-06-2006, 12:18 AM   #16
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrivera34
I originally played my XBox 360 games on my 36" STD Sony Wega and then I decided to take the plung and I bought a 37" Phillips LCD at Costco.

After a few month's I decided that HDTV is a big hype machine and not worth the money right now (In my opinion). So I returned the HDTV to Costco and I am now back to my Sony Wega. I will say that live sports in HD was a thing of beauty. But I was expecting to be blown away with the HDTV + 360 and I was not. I set the TV and 360 to 720p and 1080i, and like I said not too impressed.

In my opinion, there was a huge difference in brightness and a small difference in sharpness. My Sony Wega still produces are really nice picture.

When more HD channels become available, I will then buy an HDTV. I may even buy the same TV at Costco. Solid TV, but I thought the $2,000 could be used in better ways (help pay for my new kitchen!).

This is obviously just my opinion, but gaming in HD is not what I was hoping for.
You must have done somthing wrong, or it was the TV.. The increase in sharpness & detail is huge..5-6 times the resolution of SDTV..Gaming in HD is awesome.. I played on my 42inch display 480i & 720p..HUGE fricken difference...

Audio set up:
Benchmark DAC1
headphones: Balanced Sony SA5000/Sen 650 AKG 340

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »