Home

The Option

This is a discussion on The Option within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-03-2006, 12:08 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: The Option

I have thought that in the last couple of XBOX versions, with the number of drops and the fact that hitting a deep bomb wasn't that much more difficult than hitting short ball control style passes than the option was very effective. It was almost too effective as it took advantage of flaws in the game. You could control the ball with the option and then do what option teams do when they pass - go over the top. I thought that it was easier to beat the USCs and Miamis of the world on All-American and default rosters and playbooks with the Rice's, Navys and Ohios of the world than it was with some generally more successful programs.
Old 06-03-2006, 01:22 PM   #10
ADW
Pro

OVR: 6

I've really never ran it that much other than the occassional speed option here and there. This year I may try out the new shotgun spread option offense that EA added.
Old 06-03-2006, 02:25 PM   #11
Rookie

Max Power's Arena

OVR: 1

Being a Northwestern fan I love running the option out of their shotgun spread formation. I enjoy the wishbone option, but I don't tend to have players that would make it advantageous to run that offense.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-03-2006, 04:23 PM   #12
Rookie

Tickkid's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory
I have thought that in the last couple of XBOX versions, with the number of drops and the fact that hitting a deep bomb wasn't that much more difficult than hitting short ball control style passes than the option was very effective. It was almost too effective as it took advantage of flaws in the game. You could control the ball with the option and then do what option teams do when they pass - go over the top. I thought that it was easier to beat the USCs and Miamis of the world on All-American and default rosters and playbooks with the Rice's, Navys and Ohios of the world than it was with some generally more successful programs.
You know, that is a good point, and one of the main reasons I ran it in this years. Because I'm a terrible passing QB. I admit it. If I'm stuck having to throw the ball on 2nd and 3rd down - you are going to have an 8 INT game. This gives me some flexibility to run the ball alot, use different backs to rest some guys - and throw over the top. But now I feel kinda bad about it - THANKS.
Old 06-03-2006, 09:08 PM   #13
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

I like running the option but not the triple option very much. I don't recruit top fullbacks and the option isn't my bread and butter. My QBs still usually end up with negative rushing yards at the end of the year but option plays are definately in my arsenal. Don't know the number but I probably run 7-10 options per game.
Old 06-04-2006, 10:02 AM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 1

i run it all the time, either with west virginia or oklahoma
Old 06-04-2006, 10:27 AM   #15
MVP

gator3guy's Arena

OVR: 11

i was bored yesterday so i popped in ncaa and used Rutgers against Colorodo. Using the option I had 3 players over 100 yards, 500+ for the game and won 70-7. This is w/o playing for a couple months.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-04-2006, 11:12 AM   #16
All Star

LionsFanNJ's Arena

OVR: 29

i'm a historically horrible passer in NCAA so i run the option a majority of the time. Last year i actually took some RB's and made them QB's to run the option. (shows you how bad of a passer i am, or at least was before HOURS and HOURS of practice)

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »