Home

EGM 360 Review

This is a discussion on EGM 360 Review within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-10-2006, 12:19 PM   #73
MVP

OVR: 9
Re: EGM 360 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangpow
I actually did some research on that, too, and posted what I found on here a couple months back. I will try and find that post.
alright, here is the post. It's taken from this thread..

The Botching of Next Gen

Quote:
Okay, I know you're playing devil's advocate here, but I started doing research for an article for my site a little bit ago about how the first versions of both Madden and NCAA were reviewed for the PS2 and let me tell you, it's quite a contrast on what has been said about the next gen games of this year.

These are all from IGN's website and these are what was said in their reviews:

Madden 2001 (PS2)- Score 9 out of 10

"it's the best football game that's ever been released. Madden is a must-own title for sports fans."

"And the thing that PlayStation 2 owners are getting is what is arguably the very best that this cherished series has ever seen, as it is essentially a graphically enhanced version of the critically acclaimed PlayStation release with some other nice little touches"

"The Madden series has pretty much been the only one that has really factored in momentum and it has been done better here on PS2 than ever before in the series."

"This series is the granddaddy of virtual football and for all intents and purposes, this version of the game is the finest of the entire bunch."

Now on to NCAA 2002 (The first version released on PS2)- Score 9 out of 10

"Get ready to engulf yourself in what is simply one of the best college football games ever made."

"Well, that day has finally come and the long wait has been completely worth it, as EA has managed to construct a game in the form of NCAA Football 2002 that is arguably the best college football videogame that has ever graced a console. While based partly on the Madden NFL 2001 engine, it features a large number of improvements in various aspects of the game and has been loaded with practically every single imaginable feature that a diehard sports fanatic would expect to see in a videogame."

"While it's completely debatable as to whether or not Madden NFL 2001 is a better or worse playing football game than NFL2K1, there would be no point in arguing which game had the most bells and whistles as Madden was the clear champion in this arena.

That said, EA Sports has been able to top what they did in last year's Madden with this incarnation of NCAA Football 2002. Not only does the game have the common Exhibition and Season play modes, both of which allow you to play as any of the currently available teams, but there's a nice Practice mode that gives users a chance to get a good feel of the playbooks and an insanely deep Dynasty Mode. "

"My personal opinion is that this is the best college football game ever made and has more replay value than you could ever hope for in a $50 purchase."

Now, both of those games have gotten a whopping 9 out of 10 out of the gate and they were the very first versions on the "next gen" system. Not only that, but they were feature rich and we didn't have to compromise a lot of the features that we liked about the current gen games at the time. Heck, Madden even beat NFL 2K1 in the "bells in whistles" department that year, too.

I don't know, I am really not wanting to hear the excuses why things that we are used to and expecting are not in the game. Heck, what is the deal with the online leagues this year? I see they failed to mention that thus far. They could be in there, but I would think they would mention that one from the beginning since everyone and their mother's have been asking for it for the last couple year.

On the other hand, maybe we're jumping the gun a bit here? I mean, maybe during E3, they release more features of the game and they improved the gameplay a whole heckuva lot. At least I sure hope so.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:20 PM   #74
MVP

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG_Meth
I know that LucasArts is using it. I don't know what their financial situation is like, but all it takes is a catalyst, and I think if LucasArts plays it right, Indiana Jones will get a lot of attention for its combat/physics engine, and maybe that's all that's needed to give companies the hint.
Hopefully.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:22 PM   #75
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by thmst30
Not during play no, but after the play when all the players walk into each other yes.
I have noticed some of that as well, imo that's no more than a minor annoyance. It's the occasional phantom sack that I find slightly troubling.

Based purely on my own observations from the large number of vids I've seen, the positives far outweigh the negatives. I can't wait.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-10-2006, 12:23 PM   #76
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGamingChef
Again, WE9 is more realistic and deeper. FIFA is much more fun. It's really up to personal preferences, and I take it that the hardcore crowd here at OS prefers realism over fun. Just IMO.
Why do you make it sound like realism & fun are mutually exclusive? Realism = Fun for some of us.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:24 PM   #77
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by coogrfan
I have noticed some of that as well, imo that's no more than a minor annoyance. It's the occasional phantom sack that I find slightly troubling.

Based purely on my own observations from the large number of vids I've seen, the positives far outweigh the negatives. I can't wait.
Oh yea, I am excited about this game too. This is just some very wishful hoping for next years game.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:24 PM   #78
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
Why do you make it sound like realism & fun are mutually exclusive? Realism = Fun for some of us.
Yea cheap fake arcady crap isn't FUN for me.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:29 PM   #79
The OS Artist Guy

NYG_Meth's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
The only time I've preferred more arcadey gameplay to more in depth simulation was with Virtua Tennis, but I think that's probably because it's such a well rounded, awesome game (series), and because Top Spin kinda sucks lol.

WebsiteFacebookTwitterYouTubeDeviantArt
Old 07-10-2006, 12:31 PM   #80
Pro

OVR: 6

Quote:
It depends. NBA Hangtime and NFL Blitz was heckuva fun for its time.

Pro Sports: Falcons, Hawks
College Sports: Canes, Blue Devils

Are You A Gator *****?

Real Gator Haters Drink Powerade.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »