Home

1966 Game of Century -- Played again!

This is a discussion on 1966 Game of Century -- Played again! within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-18-2006, 08:24 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 6
1966 Game of Century -- Played again!

In 1966 the two top teams in the nation ( I am a nut on college football history) were Notre Dame and Michigan state. They fought to a memorable 10-10 tie at Michigan state. I love it that you can finally edite all the old timer teams-especially these two. Essentially they need a lot of work-but after an hour or so I had them where I wanted them and began the game. i was Notre Dam.e Michigna state socred on a quick pass -broken tackle-long run by their all american wide out-Gene Washignton (who would later be an NFL star for the vikings), That got their momentum up ( I think playing on their hoem turf helped) and I was batltign a +4 or even + 5 advantage msot of the firs thalf.

I managed to hodl them to two field goals thanks to my defnesive starts- Middlle line backer Jim Lynch and defensive end Alan PAge. Thosae guys saved me. Meanwhiel their runnign back Clinton jones made some big "down the middle runs" to keep their possessiosn going and eat up the clock.

The half ended 13-0 Michigan state. I had had almsot no sucess runnignt he ball as their mammonth DE BUBBA SMITH had destryed my attempts at goign wide on oen side while theri lienbacker George Webster had been equally domianting on the otehr side.

In the 3rd quearter however I cashed in on my openign dirve when I tossed the ball wide to my half backm Nick Eddy who incredibly broke Wbste's tackle and sped 50 yards down the sidelien for the TD. That made it clsoe 13-7.

There was no more scorign in the 3rd quarter and my strartign QB , Terry Hanratty was sacked and put out of the game by Webster on the first play of the final period. I punted and held -when lynch jarred the ball out of Washignton's hands. Then - guided by my backup- Coley O'brain (is that an"irish" name or what??) I hit severl passes to my star wide out -Jim Seymour. I had a first down at their 15 . 2 minutes left- O'brain backlto pass and the world caved in on him. Actually it was jsut big BUBBA but it seemed liek the world. O'brain fumbled Mich state got the ball and thigns looked grim.

I used all my time outs to try and forece a punt but they made a big 3rd down play-Clint Jones hit the middle I had stupidly moved Lynch to the side and Joens broke all the way for a T.d. They went for 2 and I stopped them. But I had no tiem outs left and I was down 19-7 with 1 minute and 3 seconds left.

Then--thigns got interesting! Eddy broke the kickoff back all the way to their 30 yard line. I missed two passes nut on 3rd down O'brian got eh pass away to my Tightend first and goal at their 1. Conjar (my fullback) wne in and with 20 secodns left I was down 19-14/

I tried the onsides kick and unbelevieably ( I am terribel at thsoe thigns) I got it back! A screen pass to eddy worked for big yardage. He went out of bounds on their 16. With 4 seconds left I ran the final play hittign seyomour on an cirlce out . He was crushed by the defnse as soon as he acuaght the ball. But ---he was barely in the endzone.

What an incredible win and what a fantastic way to resolve one of the great "ties" in football hsitory.

P.S. I am not a very good player and I doubt I would have puleld that off one tiem in 10 -Maybe there is somethign to the luck of the irish?
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »