Home

360 "quick sand" defense, anyone? (long)

This is a discussion on 360 "quick sand" defense, anyone? (long) within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-20-2006, 12:09 PM   #25
MVP

UNC_Pete's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: 360 "quick sand" defense, anyone? (long)

I don't know, every type of containment play didn't work well. He abused my weaker LB though. I'm sure if I played against it more it'd be to my advantage.

Last edited by UNC_Pete; 07-20-2006 at 12:12 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-20-2006, 12:23 PM   #26
Rookie

Deltron's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
I agree the corner route can be stopped. But the suction effect of the blocks make it very difficult to contain a QB.

Also, most strategies used in real life to defend scrambling QBs are not available in the game. What a lot of teams will do nowadays is passively rush with the DEs, not trying to put pressure on him, only trying to keep everyone in position to make a play if the QB tries to run. And they play a zone behind that with everyone paying special attention to the QB. Or they'll play man behind it and spy with a LB. This essential strategy can't be duplicated in the game.

Sure, you can blitz from the outside, and that might work, but it's the opposite of what works best in real life, and it triggers the QB to run instead of keeping him in the pocket like the above stategy tries to do.

Guys like Vincent Young & Micheal Vick beat people with their athletic ability, not because defenses are always out of position. When you see Young/Vick highlights, they usually break a few tackles or evade a few defenders... defenders that were where they were supposed to be. Because of the lack of defensive options in the game, those types of QBs make plays because defenders are nowhere to be found, and don't react realistically.

All that to say, yes, scrambling QBs can be stopped, but with very unconventional strategy... strategy just as arcadey as an offense running the same play all game.

Good post. If they just fixed the zones so the defenders were aware of the capability of a QB to scramble it would help a ton. That way you'd still be able to vary your playcalling while keeping track of the QB.

Getting the dline to play contain is another key, but I hope that they don't just offer some dline contain plays and call it a day without fixing the defenders reactions when they are in zone. The only defensive coverage that should be easily ran on is man defense because the defenders turn their back to the QB. If you play a lot of man against a scrambler you should have to play contain with your dline, blitz, or spy. Zone by itself should do a decent job of containing, not stopping them.
Old 07-20-2006, 01:13 PM   #27
Rookie

OVR: 2

Really? Play me online...I'll show you how corner routes are money....and there's no defense that will stop it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by i3man
Every year the same old complaints. Just because you cannot stop a play does not automatically make it cheese.

Corner routes ARE NOT a problem to defend. You call the right play you'll stop it.

QBs that roll out ARE NOT a problem to defend. You call the right play you'll stop it. If he's doing every down even better.

Again this happens every year where guys complain about not being able to stop certain plays. Cheese is a defect in the AI that cannot be stopped. The plays you mentioned ARE NOT cheese.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »