Home

What's the Basis of a West Coast offense?

This is a discussion on What's the Basis of a West Coast offense? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-19-2006, 10:11 PM   #1
Hall Of Fame

RubenDouglas's Arena

OVR: 28
What's the Basis of a West Coast offense?

Im using New Mexico and I see a bunch of random plays. whats the west coast offense philsophy? UNM ran a spread offense last year which had alot of options. i heard the QB say that hes happy that they are running less. I'd like to try and emulate their real style with my playcalling.. and im a big time amateur with football philsophy.

any ncaa help is appreciated
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-19-2006, 10:20 PM   #2
Rookie

morganic's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: What's the Basis of a West Coast offense?

There are a few keys to running the west coast.

The main one is using the short passing game to control the clock, sort of a replacement for the running game. QB takes quick drops and gets rid of the ball quickly. In most cases, there will be 5 receivers out on routes.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:22 PM   #3
All Star

RGmoney's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubenDouglas
Im using New Mexico and I see a bunch of random plays. whats the west coast offense philsophy? UNM ran a spread offense last year which had alot of options. i heard the QB say that hes happy that they are running less. I'd like to try and emulate their real style with my playcalling.. and im a big time amateur with football philsophy.

Good reading: http://football.calsci.com/WCOHistory.html
Old 07-19-2006, 10:30 PM   #4
All Star

OVR: 27

It is kind of a myth to say that a West Coast Offense isn't base on the running game. If anything its more of a balanced offense. Look at the Kansas City Chiefs, Green Bay Packers, USC trojans....they've all had great running backs who have racked up tons of yards and they all run a WCO. However, the passing game is very complex and is based on accuracy of passes. You aren't going to see a lot of receivers going deep in the WCO. The passing routes are all based on exact timing.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:31 PM   #5
--------------

dieselboy's Arena

OVR: 21

The WC offense is all about getting the best players on the field the ball early so they can make a play.

Examples of plays: Screens, slants, quick outs. There is very little outside running in the WC offense, it is mostly inside running.

The myth about the WC offense is you don't have to have a good QB to run it, and that isn't true at all. You need to a have a smart QB who has an accurate and a strong arm, despite the fact they don't throw many deep balls.

Keys to the WC offense:
-Don't have to have a great pass blocking line, as they only block for a second or two. They don't have to run block that well either because it isn't a run heavy offense, but it is very balanced so run block is probably a more desired trait. If they are quick to get out on screen passes, that is a plus.
-WRs and RBs with good hands. They don't have to be the best atheletes, but it doesn't hurt.
-The QB has to be smart, accurate, and have a strong arm.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-19-2006, 10:44 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

RubenDouglas's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselboy
-The QB has to be smart, accurate, and have a strong arm.
thats me.. well see how smart I am .

Thanks guys... quick passes is the way to go for me.. Do they run any option at all. i love the option pass. UNM has a decent QB and WR and a R-lineman so I have tended to run right most of the time. but I like to see what the rea life realism is like for the WCO and emulate that a bit
Old 07-20-2006, 11:17 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubenDouglas

ALL INFO ABOUT THE WEST COAST OFFENSE

http://users2.ev1.net/~jamrtm/
Old 07-20-2006, 11:52 AM   #8
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

I hate running the West Coast offense playbooks in video games since they love the pro set and variations of it. I don't like running out of those sets. I favour two TE sets or a traditional fullback and will probably create my own playbook again after awhile. I love the I, Ace sets and the shotgun. My offense definately includes the option and rollouts.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »