Home

IGN has gained some respect back

This is a discussion on IGN has gained some respect back within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-20-2006, 08:42 PM   #33
MVP

FlyingFinn's Arena

OVR: 29
Re: IGN has gained some respect back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyboxer
Again they were NEVER in this game. New engine. New Game.
Is it that hard to understand?
Throwing the football was never in this game either... should we bow down to the mighty EA for being so kind as to include it!

When a series moves to a more powerful console, the game should not take a step backwards feature wise. Look at PC games, hardware changes all the time, graphics make great leaps but games don't strip features. EA had 2 years for NCAA and it is still stripped down. Besides that, this is not a new engine, it is the same gameplay/physics engine EA has used in its football games for ten years with a new graphics engine thrown on top. When you add up all the graphical glitches that made it into the retail version the graphics engine isn't all the great either.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:08 PM   #34
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFinn
Throwing the football was never in this game either... should we bow down to the mighty EA for being so kind as to include it!

When a series moves to a more powerful console, the game should not take a step backwards feature wise. Look at PC games, hardware changes all the time, graphics make great leaps but games don't strip features. EA had 2 years for NCAA and it is still stripped down. Besides that, this is not a new engine, it is the same gameplay/physics engine EA has used in its football games for ten years with a new graphics engine thrown on top. When you add up all the graphical glitches that made it into the retail version the graphics engine isn't all the great either.
I can agree with some of this , but not all of this. HH on the PC took out stats, on-line and mgr mode and yet , stripped down, it still played a good game of baseball. Madden PC players all along have said the consoles get the extra goodies vs the PC. Stats, equipment, etc.....
Old 07-20-2006, 09:12 PM   #35
MVP

Badgun's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
You're so far from reality it's not even funny.
As far as your half arsed theory: I had the XBOX and 360 versions reserved just in case. I went with the 360 version and am glad I did. I was primed and ready to pick up the XBOX version, but didn't need to.
Didn't need to? Aren't you at all curious about what you might be missing? I thought MLB 2006 The Show was the best baseball game this year, but I was still curious enought to pick up MLB 2K6 on the 360 just to see what the game was like.

Seriously, the Xbox version is so much better in the area that matters most...control. Forget all the extra features, forget Campus Legend, forget ESPN the Magazine. The major difference between the two games that is of utmost importance is how the game feels in your hands. If you actually feel that the 360 version has sharp, responsive control, then the Xbox version will blow you away. It's a shame you never tried it.

Other than the awful way the 360 version lets you run a play and be back at the line in 2 seconds, I didn't have any other beefs other than the floaty control. BUT control is everything in a sports game, and the Xbox version is simply MUCH more responsive than the 360 version. I know you want me to be wrong, but I'm not.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-20-2006, 09:20 PM   #36
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgun
Didn't need to? Aren't you at all curious about what you might be missing? I thought MLB 2006 The Show was the best baseball game this year, but I was still curious enought to pick up MLB 2K6 on the 360 just to see what the game was like.

Seriously, the Xbox version is so much better in the area that matters most...control. Forget all the extra features, forget Campus Legend, forget ESPN the Magazine. The major difference between the two games that is of utmost importance is how the game feels in your hands. If you actually feel that the 360 version has sharp, responsive control, then the Xbox version will blow you away. It's a shame you never tried it.

Other than the awful way the 360 version lets you run a play and be back at the line in 2 seconds, I didn't have any other beefs other than the floaty control. BUT control is everything in a sports game, and the Xbox version is simply MUCH more responsive than the 360 version. I know you want me to be wrong, but I'm not.
I believe the thing that matters most in a football game is AI. Of course you have to have good control or a game with the best AI won't be fun but the 360 controls good, maybe the current gen controls better but what does that matter when the AI is not as good as the 360. When playing games on the 360 I feel like different things work well for and against different teams. Unlike the PS2/Xbox where it seems as if certain things work well and other things work poorly, only in different degrees versus different teams.

I feel that because of the variable AI on the 360 and how the cpu plays against you that it makes the game offer a much longer replay value and a much better overall gaming experience. Better AI also helps when you play online to make the teams feel more different and generally enhance gameplay, even if your opponent does tend to cheese, which they often do. I just really feel like the 360 is the clear cut winner this year despite lacking some features that current gen has and possibly being a short notch down control-wise (although as I said I don't think the 360 control is bad at all). I just don't see how anyone that has played either version much could ever go with the current gen.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 07-20-2006, 09:32 PM   #37
All Star

OVR: 21

Quote:
Again they were NEVER in this game. New engine. New Game.
Is it that hard to understand?
Imo things like cpu vs. cpu or the ability to save replays are no-brainer features. The "this is a new engine/certain features were never in the game" is really just clever EA-speak for excusing what the game is missing. And I think most people are knowledgeable enough to look past the rhetoric. I think if this new engine had truly innovative features, people would forgive them not having certain things in the game right now. Really the only area the game really has showed innovation is in separating the alternate uniforms from the game. I'm not trying to come off as an azz or sound like I'm joking, but I can't think of anywhere Tiburon's doing something different than what they were doing in current gen.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:42 PM   #38
MVP

FlyingFinn's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
Imo things like cpu vs. cpu or the ability to save replays are no-brainer features. The "this is a new engine/certain features were never in the game" is really just clever EA-speak for excusing what the game is missing. And I think most people are knowledgeable enough to look past the rhetoric. I think if this new engine had truly innovative features, people would forgive them not having certain things in the game right now. Really the only area the game really has showed innovation is in separating the alternate uniforms from the game. I'm not trying to come off as an azz or sound like I'm joking, but I can't think of anywhere Tiburon's doing something different than what they were doing in current gen.
That's just it... other then upgraded graphics (which to me aren't really that great any way due to glitches and poor player models) what innovative idea did EA bring to the table with the 360 version?

EA NHL 07 looks like it is going have outstanding graphics, a brand new control scheme where the right stick controls your hockey stick, a brand new commentary duo, new collision detection/puck physics etc... All this in just over 2 months more dev time then NCAA 07 had. I am a die hard 2k hockey fan but am counting the days until EA's hockey game drops. The game looks "next gen" and the implemenation appears to be "next gen" as well. In the end, that is what I expect from "next gen" games.

As a side note, I did buy NCAA 07 and I am enjoying it... However, I think my enjoyment comes more from not playing the series for 4 years and being a huge college football fan then EA "WOWING" me.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:14 PM   #39
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFinn
That's just it... other then upgraded graphics (which to me aren't really that great any way due to glitches and poor player models) what innovative idea did EA bring to the table with the 360 version?

EA NHL 07 looks like it is going have outstanding graphics, a brand new control scheme where the right stick controls your hockey stick, a brand new commentary duo, new collision detection/puck physics etc... All this in just over 2 months more dev time then NCAA 07 had. I am a die hard 2k hockey fan but am counting the days until EA's hockey game drops. The game looks "next gen" and the implemenation appears to be "next gen" as well. In the end, that is what I expect from "next gen" games.

As a side note, I did buy NCAA 07 and I am enjoying it... However, I think my enjoyment comes more from not playing the series for 4 years and being a huge college football fan then EA "WOWING" me.
dont worry finn they will wow you next year when they add that ONE animation where two defenders right beside eachother happen to meet the ball carrier at the same time. both grab him and fall over.......Look ma, gang tackling......ooooooh.......ahhhhhhh.....LOL
im joking this stuff is too funny

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »