Home

Help with the 3-3-5

This is a discussion on Help with the 3-3-5 within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-20-2006, 03:53 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Help with the 3-3-5

man that is blocked by my company's firewall. Can you post the text if it isn't as big as a book?
Old 07-20-2006, 04:14 PM   #10
MVP

Cletus's Arena

OVR: 15

from what I know about the 3-3-5 is mainly an attacking defense. You're giving up a little size in the box because you're either dropping a MLB or a DE defending on what defense you're switching from. In return you're gaining defensive speed. It is mostly considered a gimmick defense because of the teams it is used by. This defense isn't really successful if you don't have fast safeties, as they are asked to do everything and almost play the position of lb as well as safety. If you're in a conference that is short pass happy this is a great defense because the blitzes keep the timing of the passing game off, but if you're in a power running offense you are not going to be as great because of the beef you're losing in the box. The main example of a NCAA team I can remember using the 3-3-5 is Tulsa last season. But it's usually used for smaller teams who can't recruit guys to match up with bigger teams. I don't know how much that helps you but I tried.
Old 07-20-2006, 04:16 PM   #11
Rookie

ecantona99's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus
from what I know about the 3-3-5 is mainly an attacking defense. You're giving up a little size in the box because you're either dropping a MLB or a DE defending on what defense you're switching from. In return you're gaining defensive speed. It is mostly considered a gimmick defense because of the teams it is used by. This defense isn't really successful if you don't have fast safeties, as they are asked to do everything and almost play the position of lb as well as safety. If you're in a conference that is short pass happy this is a great defense because the blitzes keep the timing of the passing game off, but if you're in a power running offense you are not going to be as great because of the beef you're losing in the box. The main example of a NCAA team I can remember using the 3-3-5 is Tulsa last season. But it's usually used for smaller teams who can't recruit guys to match up with bigger teams. I don't know how much that helps you but I tried.
Actually the University of Memphis, with Joe Lee Dunn uses it also.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-20-2006, 05:48 PM   #12
ADW
Pro

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecantona99
Actually the University of Memphis, with Joe Lee Dunn uses it also.
West Virginia has also been running this defense for the last few years and they've done quite well with it.

The key to the defense is that it allows the defense to use multiple fronts and alignments which often times disrupts the offensive line blocking schemes. Most teams that play the 3-3-5 don't just sit in the base alignment, they can stem to all sorts of looks like 3-4, Bear, 5-2, 5-3, 4-3, 6-2, 4-4, etc. Some of these EA has added to the game such as the Bear and the 4-4 look.

The key to the defense lies with the two strong safeties. These players are generally aligned near the line of scrimmage against traditional sets with a tight end and two backs. They can easily get into an eight man front to stop the run, drop eight in coverage, and of course use all sorts of combinations of dogs, blitzes, stunts, and coverages.
Old 07-20-2006, 06:03 PM   #13
Rookie

burnsy128's Arena

OVR: 2

this defense is good against an option team. used it almost exclusively against navy, worked out well.
Old 07-20-2006, 06:33 PM   #14
Rookie

mierk's Arena

OVR: 4

Here's a guide I found on google that managed to get through my work filters, hopefully it gets through yours too. I'll post any others I can find.

http://www.americanfootballmonthly.c...5_defense.html

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »