Home

Line blocking is completely broken (PS2 version)

This is a discussion on Line blocking is completely broken (PS2 version) within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-09-2006, 10:04 PM   #25
MVP

booker21's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Line blocking is completely broken (PS2 version)

Agree with the original poster.. i never ever saw this I have NEVER seen a defensive lineman hit a OL off the ball, so hard, that he falls straight on his ***. NEVER. Yet.

And i do agree with the whole post...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-10-2006, 01:04 AM   #26
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Line blocking is completely broken (PS2 version)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMartin56
I'm unhappy with the blocking in the 360 version as well. I'll admit to being a big 2k fan, but the blocking in the EA games really frustrates me. When I run a sweep the pulling guard heads up field (maybe he's after the free safety?) without blocking anyone while I get drilled by a LB that bullseyes right at me untouched. This is on All American.

When you add in plays where my TE is the primary receiver and gets hung up on the defender and runs in place on some plays for 3-4 seconds (I realize that the release into his pattern is not a given but it really looks stupid) I almost shed tears for a world that will never see a next gen 2k game...
I agree. I have the game for 360 and I am incredibly disappointed with the blocking. The "jump the snap" feature has to be one of the worst additions to the franchise. On defense, if you want to get pressure on the QB with your d-line, then jumping the snap is really the only way to go because the CPU's offensive linemen completely suction block your defensive linemen, no matter how bad their o-line is and how good your d-line is.

Yet somehow, even if you do use JTS, it's almost NEVER as effective as when the CPU uses it against your o-line. I understand that you have to changeup the snap count to keep the CPU off-guard, but there are still way too many instances where the CPU "guesses" correctly on a pretty unique snap count and just blows right past interior offensive linemen for a sack. This is because some developer's genius idea was to remove the swim move button and instead combine it with JTS, so when a CPU defensive linemen jumps the snap, he does some super-swim move that allows him to shed his blocker and get to the QB before the QB even gets two steps into his drop. JTS, from the CPU perspective, is just completely overdone.

Another problem that persists is the Miss Cleo defense. Somehow, 85% of the time, the CPU defense knows exactly where the running play is going. This happens all the time when trying to run outside, where the defense just happens to blitz pretty much everyone on the side you're running to. And of course, if you choose to audible out, the CPU will somehow magically know this and flips ITS play! It's also incredibly frustrating when you watch a running play develop on instant replay and see the linebackers cheat and run, from the snap, to the exact hole, as if there was some kind of magnetic attraction between the running back and the LB.

Finally, there are times where you watch on instant replay and routinely see blockers run right past defenders or pick up the wrong man, no matter how high their awareness or blocking abilities. It's very maddening to watch in replay as the right guard and tackle inexplicably decide to block the defensive tackle and leave the defensive end unblocked. Or when a running back in pass protection literally runs right past an oncoming rusher to instead "block" a defender who is already engaged. Or to watch a pulling guard wonder around aimlessly for someone to block, while the person he was supposed to block runs unmolested into the backfield to blow the play up.

I enjoy the game a lot, but the blocking is absolutely horrendous. The only games in which you can run the ball are games in which the CPU basically decided ahead of time that you'll be able to run the ball, and no matter how good your o-line is and how bad the opposing d-line is, you're bound to get sacked at least three times.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »