Home

Momentum

This is a discussion on Momentum within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-21-2006, 05:59 PM   #1
MVP

therizing02's Arena

OVR: 20
Momentum

This is starting to become a real pain in the arse. It seemes more and more like if you get the momentum early in the game you or the CPU will not be touched. I'm starting to feel like they overdid it with this.

The last couple of days I played as LSU at the Swamp got up 14-0 and Florida had no chance the rest of the game. I eventually won the game 31-9. I also played against Arizona State as Ohio State three times and was down 21-0, 28-0, and 24-0 at the end of the first quarter! It's as if these guys go to Heisman level and you literally have no chance. One last example was against Michigan in Columbus where I lost another nail biter 41-3.

This has also proved to make finding the right slider settings rather difficult. I've been doing that in the Scrimmage mode.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-21-2006, 06:09 PM   #2
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: Momentum

That is always my fear with Momentum or Clutch Factor or whatever the game in question calls it. Seems like a recipe for a scripted feel.
Old 07-21-2006, 06:26 PM   #3
Pro

CptObvious's Arena

OVR: 9

I will give credit to EA for attempting to capture that "feel" of the college atmosphere, it's such a difficult thing to catch on any entertainment platform.

That being said, the meter itself on the 360 version is a bit wonky. If you score first, you obviously fill the meter in your direction, BUT if the CPU turns around and scores right behind you...more often than not you will still have 1 to 2 bars of momentum on your side. I would think it would at least be back to even or better yet, on the side that scored 2nd as they now have the "momentum".

I can't phathom the headaches in programming the logic for the endless amount of scenarios that are present on the football field...Should you get more momentum if you get a turnover on defense and score a TD vs simply stopping the CPU and scoring on a drive after receiving a punt? It's just mind boggling what needs to be programmed in.

I appreciate the idea, and hope it doesn't impact the game too much when it kinda flakes out from time to time. Thankfully, at least according to a few interviews, it doesnt REALLY impact play all that much...at most a 5% increase in some ratings.
Old 07-21-2006, 06:36 PM   #4
MVP

Methlab's Arena

OVR: 15

I love momentum so far. It feels so much like a college game now to me. It has made this game really awesome to play.
Old 07-21-2006, 06:41 PM   #5
MVP

Mizzou23's Arena

OVR: 13

An interesting idea was posed in the MaddenMania review...this might have been built into last year's game and we just didn't know it. I suppose it's impossible to say for sure though.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-21-2006, 07:16 PM   #6
Go Ravens

ravensfan52's Arena

OVR: 3

I'm fine with it until receivers catch balls in triple coverage (this has happened to me online). Once it gets unrealistic as the initail poster was referring to, it can get very frustrating.
Old 07-21-2006, 07:40 PM   #7
MVP

therizing02's Arena

OVR: 20

Add another chapter. UCLA 35 Oregon (me) 10. At Oregon.

UCLA goes up 7-0 late in the first quarter and the momentum meter fills up. I come right back and score and they still have half the meter full. Even after a couple changes of possession the meter still favored UCLA. UCLA scored a TD on the last play of the first half. The next thing I knew it was 28-10 and I had no chance.

Needless to say I'm a little pissed. Once more another "feature" that is looking more and more like gimmick.

Give me NCAA 2004.....

I am playing current gen BTW.
Old 07-21-2006, 07:49 PM   #8
MVP

kennyacid's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by therizing02
Add another chapter. UCLA 35 Oregon (me) 10. At Oregon.

UCLA goes up 7-0 late in the first quarter and the momentum meter fills up. I come right back and score and they still have half the meter full. Even after a couple changes of possession the meter still favored UCLA. UCLA scored a TD on the last play of the first half. The next thing I knew it was 28-10 and I had no chance.

Needless to say I'm a little pissed. Once more another "feature" that is looking more and more like gimmick.

Give me NCAA 2004.....

I am playing current gen BTW.

was ucla home, because the home field advantage makes the away team work harder to gain momentum

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »