Home

Pass Interference: Do the programmers know what it is?

This is a discussion on Pass Interference: Do the programmers know what it is? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-22-2006, 11:06 AM   #9
The Man!

sroz39's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: Pass Interference: Do the programmers know what it is?

The main problem here is the collision detection or lack thereof. Considering the "thousands" of animations that are in the game, to not have something so simple as a few collision animations is just unexplainable. Inevitably, players either lock up in a mario running contest, or get nudged off their path, but in the same running animation. 2k5 had a better system, where animations kicked in MOST of the time when a collision happened...but it wasn't perfect.

I can excuse the current gen games..to a point. The technology in the engine EA uses for their current gen football games doesn't seem very versatile, so unless it's a "big event" (i.e. a tackle, catch, throw etc.), it doesn't seem like they can very easily program their game to detect collisions and react. Still inexcusable when you look at the big picture, but it's a decision they made years ago, and this is the engine they're stuck with.

However, with the technology of the 360, there is no longer an excuse. When you consider that the game was "built from the ground up", and that they had a pretty good template to go off of with 2k5, their decision to actually LENGTHEN their animations and make their engine even less versatile is just plain stupid. It will be that much more difficult to program collisions as incidental happenings. They will actually have to have a catalog of animations for collisions, if they even bother to worry about it. My guess is that they will let it slide, and our best hope is they will just increase the percentage of times that PI gets called when players "bump". Still not a very next gen solution.

Which leads me to believe that if we do end up getting gang-tackling on the 360/PS3, it will either be very good or terrible. If it's to be good, the catalog of animations will have to be huge, accounting for different angles of attack, weight of the players involved etc. My guess is this won't be the case. Let's hope.
Old 07-22-2006, 11:55 AM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: Pass Interference: Do the programmers know what it is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sroz39
The main problem here is the collision detection or lack thereof. Considering the "thousands" of animations that are in the game, to not have something so simple as a few collision animations is just unexplainable. Inevitably, players either lock up in a mario running contest, or get nudged off their path, but in the same running animation. 2k5 had a better system, where animations kicked in MOST of the time when a collision happened...but it wasn't perfect.

I can excuse the current gen games..to a point. The technology in the engine EA uses for their current gen football games doesn't seem very versatile, so unless it's a "big event" (i.e. a tackle, catch, throw etc.), it doesn't seem like they can very easily program their game to detect collisions and react. Still inexcusable when you look at the big picture, but it's a decision they made years ago, and this is the engine they're stuck with.

However, with the technology of the 360, there is no longer an excuse. When you consider that the game was "built from the ground up", and that they had a pretty good template to go off of with 2k5, their decision to actually LENGTHEN their animations and make their engine even less versatile is just plain stupid. It will be that much more difficult to program collisions as incidental happenings. They will actually have to have a catalog of animations for collisions, if they even bother to worry about it. My guess is that they will let it slide, and our best hope is they will just increase the percentage of times that PI gets called when players "bump". Still not a very next gen solution.

Which leads me to believe that if we do end up getting gang-tackling on the 360/PS3, it will either be very good or terrible. If it's to be good, the catalog of animations will have to be huge, accounting for different angles of attack, weight of the players involved etc. My guess is this won't be the case. Let's hope.
I totally agree!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »