Home

Playcalling AI????

This is a discussion on Playcalling AI???? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-22-2006, 11:10 AM   #1
MVP

therizing02's Arena

OVR: 20
Playcalling AI????

Is anyone else starting to see some pretty bad playcalling by the CPU? This seems to have gotten worse.

In my most recent game as ND against Louisville. Louisville was in FG range with 5 seconds left in the first half and never used a TO. In the same game after intercepting a Quinn pass on the Louisville 2 yard line, the offense comes out with 1:15 to go in the game in a shotgun formation (UL was winning 30-25). They run an inside handoff that leads to a safety and an eventual ND victory.

I"m also noticing a TON of ill advised passes by the CPU late in the game when they have been way ahead. There have been absolutely no run out the clock plays by the CPU when ahead.

Anyone else?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-22-2006, 11:18 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 3
Re: Playcalling AI????

Quote:
Originally Posted by therizing02
Is anyone else starting to see some pretty bad playcalling by the CPU? This seems to have gotten worse.

In my most recent game as ND against Louisville. Louisville was in FG range with 5 seconds left in the first half and never used a TO. In the same game after intercepting a Quinn pass on the Louisville 2 yard line, the offense comes out with 1:15 to go in the game in a shotgun formation (UL was winning 30-25). They run an inside handoff that leads to a safety and an eventual ND victory.

I"m also noticing a TON of ill advised passes by the CPU late in the game when they have been way ahead. There have been absolutely no run out the clock plays by the CPU when ahead.

Anyone else?
Actually, last night I was really impressed with the playcalling. I was playing tOSU with Oklahoma and I just could not contain Ginn on the short or deep routes. The deep routes were my fault since I wasn't putting double coverage on him until he burned me. I ran double coverage the rest of the game and just when I felt like i was shutting the pass down they motion the RB out of the backfield on a fly route that was left wide open in my cover-1 scheme. It was the proper adjustment to my overcompensating defense. This is the sorta thing I've been looking for in these games.
Old 07-22-2006, 11:27 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2

i was getting blown out by Michigan last night.... end of third quarter. I think they were up 45-10 or something like that. They were still chucking for TD's during the 4th.... i couldn't believe it. They had both of their good running backs injured, but come on...

First i've seen this in a NCAA game
Old 07-22-2006, 11:30 AM   #4
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by buccos
i was getting blown out by Michigan last night.... end of third quarter. I think they were up 45-10 or something like that. They were still chucking for TD's during the 4th.... i couldn't believe it. They had both of their good running backs injured, but come on...

First i've seen this in a NCAA game
I was playing a game where I got 3 picks in the first half and the cpu yanked the starter. I was impressed by that. I'm playing on Heisman so maybe that's why I don't share the gripes.
Old 07-22-2006, 01:42 PM   #5
Rookie

Razorbacker's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:

Anyone else?
Honestly, playcalling has always been horrible in the series, and I've really not seen much that can convince me that it isn't completely random. A few people in this thread have mentioned isolated instances, but even random playcalling can lead to things that appear 'impressive'.

Too many times I've seen a team call a timeout and then run right up the middle on the next play, hurry to the line and call another run and then have to call another timeout. That is simply atrocious. How hard would it be to program something that said, hey, if we go into hurry-up mode and are calling timeouts, we should NOT call a run!

Playcalling is one area where I feel EAS could really make giant leaps in AI.

Playcalling AI would receive an F from me on the ole ABCDF scale.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-22-2006, 01:45 PM   #6
MVP

kneebon5's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:

Anyone else?
i have seen the halftime FG thing, also in OT (i've only had one ot) but i tossed up a bad ball they picked it off, ran a run up the middle, got 10 yards, and kept going for the TD, instead of just wrapping the game up with a FG, kinda needs to be fixed.
Old 07-22-2006, 01:48 PM   #7
Banned

The 2nd half/end of game playcalling is a problem (xbox) and it wasn't this way last year. Down 4 points with a minute remaining in the game, the other team didn;t even go no huddle. Tiook their good ole time calling the play/coming to the line but then did call timeout after the play. Also no sense of urgency when time winds down in the 1st half even when in scoring position
Old 07-22-2006, 02:39 PM   #8
Rookie

electrolyte's Arena

OVR: 2

Forget about the computer taking a timeout at the half, what about me not taking a timeout at the end of the game with 4 seconds left to tie the game with a field goal?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »