Home

Super accurate CPU kickers

This is a discussion on Super accurate CPU kickers within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-22-2006, 06:49 PM   #9
NL MVP

Sportsforever's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: Super accurate CPU kickers

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
Its not just a 360 issue. I have a PS2 and haven't seen a missed kick. Not a gamekiller but clearly an obvious mistake that seems weird they wouldn't fix after last year's problems on Heisman where they wouldn't miss. How hard is it to make a slider work? I don't care what level you play on or what system, if you put the CPU kick accuracy slider to 0, they should miss 100% of the time. If you put the slider to max 99%, they should make every one.
I have seen the CPU miss a few FG and actually had the Navy K miss an extra point (not one that was blocked, just pushed it right). This is on XBox btw.
Old 07-22-2006, 07:19 PM   #10
I'm Ron F'n Swanson!

fishepa's Arena

OVR: 44

I played a game today and the kicker clanked it off the post.
Old 07-22-2006, 07:57 PM   #11
All Star

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsforever
I have seen the CPU miss a few FG and actually had the Navy K miss an extra point (not one that was blocked, just pushed it right). This is on XBox btw.
What are your FG sliders?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-22-2006, 08:47 PM   #12
NL MVP

Sportsforever's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by highheatkingsb
What are your FG sliders?
I actually haven't touched the sliders. I have played several games at default AA and some on varsity.
Old 07-22-2006, 09:26 PM   #13
War Eagle, Go Braves!

aukevin's Arena

OVR: 69

I never saw the cpu miss a FG within 40 yards or so last year, and no misses this year so far either.

Atlanta Braves
- Auburn Tigers - Carolina Panthers - Nashville Predators
Old 08-23-2006, 12:56 PM   #14
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

I’ve done some testing in practice mode to try to see if the CPU will start missing field goals on the PS2/XBox. I don’t want to edit player ratings since that’s a lot of work and won’t work in dynasty mode as far as I know either. I have assumed that the practice mode will produce similar results to an actual game. I simply chose a defence and called FG Block while I had the CPU offence kick field goals. In all the games I have played, I have never seen the CPU miss a field goal wide left or right on AA or Heisman. Somebody said Varsity level had misses so I tested it out. All of my tests are with CPU FG Accuracy at 0.

The bad news seems to be that the difficulty levels have a far greater impact on FG length than accuracy. The lower the difficulty, the shorter the kicks. I had the CPU kick field goals with Clemson, which I didn’t like after awhile since their kicker was a 90 overall with 92 kick power and 89 accuracy. Anyway, from 52 yards out in the middle of the field, he never missed a kick on Varsity. He kicked at least 10 times with plenty of distance and I didn’t see a miss. He may have eventually missed but I decided to try Junior Varsity. Even on the lowest difficulty setting, CPU kickers are incredibly accurate but the good news is, they are no longer perfect!

At Junior Varsity, you have to set CPU FG length to 95 for a realistic distance setting imo. The Clemson kicker could hit 52 yard field goals here with 92 for power and about 1 in 4 or 5 tries, would come up short. The CPU does have varying kicking length at all levels. I then had him kick 47 yard field goals from the far left hash. The bad news is that he still hit about 90% of his kicks. I think I saw him kick almost 40 field goals and missed 3 or 4. This is ridiculously high at 90% with FG accuracy at 0 on Junior Varsity!! The flip side is that I saw kicks missed wide left and right.

I then took my own kicker in dynasty who is a freshman rated 76 overall with 88 power and 84 accuracy. In 5 attempts at the 52 yarder (middle of the field), he was short every time (but not by much). From 47 yards out on the far left hash, he always had enough leg even if it barely cleared the cross bar at times. For that reason, I think CPU FG length at 95 is good. The even better news is that I had the CPU kick 20 field goals at 47 yards (far left) and he made 15, which is only 75%. Five kicks actually sailed left or right. Other good news is that I never saw a blocked kick in ALL of my testing. I also never tried to block the kick with anyone either out of the FG Block formation.

To sum it up, if you want to see a CPU FG kicker miss and actually have some suspense during field goal attempts, you will have to change the difficulty setting to JV, CPU FG accuracy to 0, and CPU FG length to 95 for at least some form of realism. You will see the average to bad kickers miss and even some good kickers miss once in awhile. Changing difficulty may seem cheap but as long as you don’t try to block the kicks, I don’t see a problem doing it for the CPU field goal attempts. One other note is that I reduce the Roughing the Kicker penalty to 30 (instead of 50) since I find too many running into the kicker calls. Only saw one penalty out of the 50+ kicks, which you may find too low but I don’t like to see it, especially if I can get the CPU to miss.

Edit: I've posted this at a few different spots. Feel free to test this out in practice and post your findings.
Old 08-24-2006, 12:12 PM   #15
War Eagle, Go Braves!

aukevin's Arena

OVR: 69

I might give this a try. It is real frusterating having the computer never miss a FG. So you can change the difficutly in the middle of a game?

Atlanta Braves
- Auburn Tigers - Carolina Panthers - Nashville Predators
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-24-2006, 12:18 PM   #16
Rookie

mierk's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by aukevin
I might give this a try. It is real frusterating having the computer never miss a FG. So you can change the difficutly in the middle of a game?
You can, it just invalidates whatever campus challenge points you may have amassed during the game, if that's something that matters to you.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »