Home

EA - it's a management problem

This is a discussion on EA - it's a management problem within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-23-2006, 01:51 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 4
EA - it's a management problem

This year's NCAA releases have illustrated again that there is a fundamental problem at EA, and it isn't their programmers, game designers, or QA. How long can they go on failing to address the fact that the management of their project teams is either ignorant, incompetent or both? I can say from my own experience that in other areas of software development (i.e. not games) that you just wouldn't get a job if you didn't understand the basic principles of project management, and that releasing a product with known flaws is just about the most certain way to get demoted/fired.

Let's take a look at NCAA on 360 and PSP, the two versions I have played. First on 360 the stadium announcer reverses the names/numbers on every single play call involving two players (i.e. the defender is named as the offensive player and vice versa). No QA department could miss this (never mind both EA and MS both), and it's a simple to fix error, just a reversal of two parameter names. It may occur in hundreds of places in the commentary code, but pretty much any programmer could run through it in a day or so and fix it. So why did the project manager not insist that it be fixed in the weeks before release? Can they not draft in an extra programmer for a day or two? Does their boss actually tolerate this level of error, or do the project managers hide it?

Moving to the PSP version we have the ball-spotting error. Again a fundamental part of the game which is broken, that must have been known. No management team I have ever worked with would allow a product to ship with this level of problem. First, to allow a mistake of this kind to occur (or remain unfixed) close to code lock indicates a basic flaw in the project management. And second the proper response is to bring in additional staff to help fix the problem, or to delay the release.

Looking across the whole NCAA franchise (and even perhaps to Madden) we see a complete lack of coordination. Why are out-of-game features randomly missing from one version or another? There's no reason for features that are not processor, memory, or graphics chip limited to be missing. The code base can be easily shared, yet EA management accepts a large degree of duplication, and complete lack of coordination.

So how can can EA fix these basic problems? First, they have hire some managers at a high level who understand modern practices in the software industry, or even from other industries with a regular development cycle. Second, they need to retrain or replace their project managers. Starting immediately they should begin a two year development cycle; this practice requires two parallel teams, but is actually more efficient than a one year cycle, because as components are finished some team members rotate from one team to the other. Major component changes (e.g. graphics engine overhaul, fundamental AI changes) are done in the first year of the cycle, as are other basic design changes. This enables the most problematic changes to be in place and tested almost a year ahead of release. Feature lock needs to occur at about the 14-15 month point, at a time when you can have feedback and make adjustments 2-3 months after the prior release. Have a small team monitoring community feedback, prioritizing desired changes and categorizing them according to whether they are to be implemented in the upcoming release or the following one. Coordinate and share code. If a feature is in one version it should be in all versions unless it is system limited.

Finally, change the culture. It's sickening to programmers to see their code released with huge flaws. You have to manage to your timelines, and project managers who repeatedly miss timelines should expect to be judged by this. But it must be clear to them that the one thing that their management will absolutely not tolerate is to release a flawed product.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2006, 02:09 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 30
Re: EA - it's a management problem

Quote:
No QA department could miss this
I never noticed it

Quote:
Feature lock needs to occur at about the 14-15 month point
This is a sports game released annually, there is no 14-15 month.
Old 07-23-2006, 02:12 PM   #3
MVP

TheGamingChef's Arena

OVR: 18

Soldier, even an EA fanboy like yourself must admit that the level of buginess in the PSP version at least is unacceptable.
Old 07-23-2006, 02:29 PM   #4
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGamingChef
Soldier, even an EA fanboy like yourself must admit that the level of buginess in the PSP version at least is unacceptable.
What sports game developer that makes annual releases doesn't have similiar problems?

Anyone thing 2k is run any better? Their management issues are just as bad if not worse. Or SCEA for that matter?

It's not a company problem, it's an industry problem. Earlier and earlier release dates, mean shorter and shorter development time. All of these companies are trying to get as much bang for the buck as they can, and a lot of things slip through the cracks as a result.

This is hardly an EA only problem.
Old 07-23-2006, 02:41 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soldier
I never noticed it
Do you ever play a game with a team not on TV? It's hard not to notice when the announcer says that the guy tackling you running back is...your running back lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soldier
This is a sports game released annually, there is no 14-15 month.
lol again. Pay attention, I was explaining how a two year development cycle works. You release annually, but your development cycle is two years. Using a one year cycle for an annual product is like something out of the 50s. Do you think that Honda only focuses on the upcoming model year? They have a multi-year strategy, and by the time this year's car is released next year's model has already been in development for months or even several years.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2006, 02:49 PM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
What sports game developer that makes annual releases doesn't have similiar problems?

Anyone thing 2k is run any better? Their management issues are just as bad if not worse. Or SCEA for that matter?

It's not a company problem, it's an industry problem. Earlier and earlier release dates, mean shorter and shorter development time. All of these companies are trying to get as much bang for the buck as they can, and a lot of things slip through the cracks as a result.

This is hardly an EA only problem.
Agreed, it seems to be common across the game development industry. However, as by far the largest developer you would think that EA would have the most to gain by managing the company efficiently, instead of behaving like a small mom and pop developer.
Old 07-23-2006, 02:53 PM   #7
L*v* *nd H*n*r t* M**m*

mazhirui's Arena

OVR: 5

I get tired of people coming in here each time a game is released just so they can bash it over the course of 30-50 posts, then leaving and never posting again. While I'll admit I'm not the most active poster, I've been posting here for 3-4 years now and see the same thing every year.

Miami University
Bicentennial, 1809-2009
Old 07-23-2006, 03:03 PM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazhirui
I get tired of people coming in here each time a game is released just so they can bash it over the course of 30-50 posts, then leaving and never posting again. While I'll admit I'm not the most active poster, I've been posting here for 3-4 years now and see the same thing every year.
I get tired of people coming in here with nothing constructive to say, and just criticizing what other people say. Oh, and if your comment was targeted at me, I joined BEFORE you lol

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »