Home

Boy am I having trouble running the ball (360)

This is a discussion on Boy am I having trouble running the ball (360) within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-25-2006, 08:26 AM   #25
MVP

fantasysportsguy's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Boy am I having trouble running the ball (360)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruin26
This may sound silly, but do you pull the right trigger right after the hand off to get your speed burst? I ask because I have the habit of doing so, but when I do I don't run as well. I am having to teach myself not to do it and use the right stick to make moves, then pull the trigger for the speed burst at a more appropriate time. In past versions I have used speed burst right away and never used many of the other moves aside from the occasional stiff arm. I got away with it before, but not with this one. Same thing when returning kicks. When having the right trigger on it doesn't seem like the other moves work as well if at all sometimes for me, so it is a learning process for me.

The right stick is a joy to use when running with the ball. Not overdone like cheese or anything, it feel right and makes real football moves.
It's true that I do usually hit the trigger, to accelerate towards the hole I am going to hit, but I'm not holding it down. It is kind of habit forming and I do it probably 75% of the time, so do you think thats what my problem is?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-25-2006, 09:17 AM   #26
MVP

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshelton
Is it just me or does the computer jump offsides way too much when you fake snap it?
I noticed the cpu is way more likely to jump offsides on the road than at home. I got the cpu to jump several times my first few games, which were all at home. My last three games were all on the road and only had them do it once.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:36 AM   #27
Aka."Footballforever"

RoyalBoyle78's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimping219
From what Ive seen it would appear that the earlier you use the speed burst the quicker the computer will shed blockers and track you down, its best to only use it once youve gotten to the hole and then hit it and go, not right after the hand off.
this is 100% correct...Don't abuse the turbo button, or you will pay.
N.Y Islanders
Miami Hurricanes

Twitter - @RoyalBoyle78
XBOX LIVE - Royalboyle78
PSN - RoyalBoyle78
Old 07-25-2006, 09:54 AM   #28
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruin26
This may sound silly, but do you pull the right trigger right after the hand off to get your speed burst? I ask because I have the habit of doing so, but when I do I don't run as well. I am having to teach myself not to do it and use the right stick to make moves, then pull the trigger for the speed burst at a more appropriate time. In past versions I have used speed burst right away and never used many of the other moves aside from the occasional stiff arm. I got away with it before, but not with this one. Same thing when returning kicks. When having the right trigger on it doesn't seem like the other moves work as well if at all sometimes for me, so it is a learning process for me.

The right stick is a joy to use when running with the ball. Not overdone like cheese or anything, it feel right and makes real football moves.

Bruin26 nailed it IMO. Once you adjust to this strategy you'll hit holes better and find the blocking really holds up. The running game is very natural feeling when using the right stick to gain yards.

Good luck.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:02 AM   #29
MVP

mdgoalie37's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasysportsguy
It's true that I do usually hit the trigger, to accelerate towards the hole I am going to hit, but I'm not holding it down. It is kind of habit forming and I do it probably 75% of the time, so do you think thats what my problem is?
I think this is the problem. I use dto do this to and I noticed you tend to run into your lineman and get stuck there doing 'The Mario.' I think it is best to hit A as hitting the hole, this will lower your head and you can blast through. This best in short yardage situations, and sometimes you break it. You can use the right stick as well to cut through the holes.

I actually played the OK/UAB game last night. Peterson went 20 for 88. I use Playmakers' sub in and out so the backup had 9 more carries for 30 or so. I was up 24-7 a the half (their score being a Kickoff return) but then got sloppy. They came back to tie it after a INT and a fumble and some extremely conservative playcalling by me - and they had the MO. I got a pick though at their 35 with a minute left, drove 10 yards and kicked a FG on the last play to win it. Mistakes hurt me and almost cost the game.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:03 AM   #30
Pro

OVR: 6

Try this:

Run straight to the hole that is designed to open up based on your play. Right before you get to the line of scrimmage, tap the "A" button for a juke while keeping your left stick going straight to the hole.

Your RB will dance passed the line and passed on comming tacklers almost every play. I consistantly get 4-5 yds per carry in Heisman mode running inside hand offs this way.

Just beware of jump the snap and alternate your snap counts.

Last edited by WallaceNails; 07-26-2006 at 11:33 AM.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:30 AM   #31
Think Different

onetonmartin's Arena

OVR: 9

You're guaranteed to fall forward if you hit the speed burst before or within the line. It's like 2k when you'd attract defenders by tapping the burst button.

...kinda like a homing device.

It must be programmed in. The best way to catch speed is to go farther up on the left analog, but not too far unless you have room.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-25-2006, 11:20 AM   #32
MVP

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallaceNails
Try this:

Run straight to the hole that is designed to open up based on your play. Right before you get to the line of scrimmage, tap the "A" button for a juke while keeping your left stick going straight to the hole.

Your RB will dance past the line and past on comming tacklers almost every play. I consistantly get 4-5 yds per carry in Heisman mode running inside hand offs this way.

Just beware of jump the snap and alternate your snap counts.

So are most people using the "A" button to juke instead of the stick or vice versa? I know what the stick does left, right, and back, but what does it do when you push it forward? It doesn't appear to do anything.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »