Home

Momentum has added a new level of strategy for me

This is a discussion on Momentum has added a new level of strategy for me within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-25-2006, 09:55 AM   #1
NL MVP

Sportsforever's Arena

OVR: 23
Momentum has added a new level of strategy for me

In previous football games, when you won the toss it really didn't matter that much whether you kicked off or chose to receive. I am finding in this game, that I need to look at the matchups, especially if I am playing a better team than me. For example, if I have strong defense and an average offense, I choose to put my defense on the field first to try and get the momentum in my favor, making things easier for my offense. It makes you at least look at each of your squads and try and figure out which one will get you the momentum.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-25-2006, 10:37 AM   #2
Rookie

ecantona99's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Momentum has added a new level of strategy for me

Good point, but if you get down, then it makes it very hard to comeback at least on Heisman.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:46 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 1

I always kick off the start the game. The advantage of having a possibility of getting back to back scores at the end of the 2nd and beginning of the 3rd is way too huge to go with offense to start the game.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:47 AM   #4
Heroes Never Die

IlliniM1ke's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by House
I always kick off the start the game. The advantage of having a possibility of getting back to back scores at the end of the 2nd and beginning of the 3rd is way too huge to go with offense to start the game.
Same strategy I use, I've used this strategy for as long as I can remember.
MLB- St. Louis Cardinals
NBA- Boston Celtics
NHL- Chicago Blackhawks

Formerly CardsFan27
Old 07-25-2006, 10:51 AM   #5
MVP

K_rob11's Arena

OVR: 21

I'm glad there's atleast someone else who seems to actually LIKE momentum besides me. I'm sure it has always been there, its just now visible with a meter (so its like now we know for sure ), which is fine by me since it gives me more sense of urgency when i am trying to gain some momentum back. I think this is what ultimately makes playing on the heisman level unplayable for some tho. I;ve been playing on heisman (with adjusted sliders) and I 've been having a blast! You REALLY have to pay attention to who has the momentum in the game. If the CPU gains the momentum early, you have to be EXTRA careful in your playcalling. For example, if my QB has just thrown 2 INTs in a row, you better believe I will start using screen passes, short slants, passes out in the flat until i atleast gain a little momentum back...settle my QB (myself) down a bit. That is usually the time i will lay off the combacks, and deep posts for a while....which i think a coach would probably do in real life. I'd really try and get my run game going then. Conversely, if i gain the momentum early, i'd be more willing to go for the big plays since my team will be playing a little better. If I start losing the momentum (if the CPU starts a comback of sorts) I start running the ball and looking at the game clock frantically. I love the momentum in this game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-25-2006, 10:56 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 4

I like the idea of momentum........but I just don't feel like it has any real effect on the game.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:57 AM   #7
All Star

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecantona99
Good point, but if you get down, then it makes it very hard to comeback at least on Heisman.
I almost did it. Was down 24-0, got it down to 27-24, but ended up losing after my punt returner fumbled.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:00 AM   #8
War Eagle, Go Braves!

aukevin's Arena

OVR: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by burger13
I like the idea of momentum........but I just don't feel like it has any real effect on the game.
I haven't noticed momentum in the game. It doesn't really seem any different than HFA the last couple years. All I've noticed is the higher the momentum, the louder the crowd, the harder it is to call audibles, and that's just like the last two years. My players ratings increase, but they did that the last couple years as well. I just don't get what is new from this feature?

Atlanta Braves
- Auburn Tigers - Carolina Panthers - Nashville Predators

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »