Home

Does your 360 sound like it is going to blow up?

This is a discussion on Does your 360 sound like it is going to blow up? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-25-2006, 02:43 PM   #1
Rookie

kburns40's Arena

OVR: 1
Does your 360 sound like it is going to blow up?

does anyone elses 360 like it is going to die when playing NCAA?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-25-2006, 02:51 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Does your 360 sound like it is going to blow up?

No
Old 07-25-2006, 07:31 PM   #3
Boom!!

J-Unit40's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by kburns40
does anyone elses 360 like it is going to die when playing NCAA?
Ohhhh yeah. It sounds like it's taking a long last breath, pauses for a minute, then scares the life out of me...then starts up again or I get a disc error. And yes, it's only with my NCAA. It's going back tomorrow to Gamestop.
Old 07-25-2006, 07:35 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 13

my 360 is less than 1 week old and I hear that aqualung sound too. No disc error or anything. I only have the new NCAA so I can't compare with other games.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:38 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 4

It makes that noise when the DVD drive is spinning up, and if you hear it a lot it's likely to be because the the disk is bad. When a DVD drive encounters multiple read errors it slows down to read correctly, then has to speed up again. There seem to have been quite a few reports of 'dirty disk' errors with NCAA so there are clearly some quality problems with the disks; I would take it back and get a new disk.

It's not fair to completely blame EA for bad discs; there are always a certain percentage of discs where the surface is a little uneven or the disk is very slightly warped. This would typically not be a problem in a PC or standalone DVD player, but the history with the original Xbox has showed that Microsoft will save a couple of dollars by using a lower quality drive where the laser and optics have less tolerance for errors.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-25-2006, 10:10 PM   #6
t3g
Rookie

t3g's Arena

The humm noise is really loud when I have the system in the vertical position. Also, when the disc is in the drive and I jump back to the dashboard (via the guide button), there is a louder humm. If the system is in the horizontal, it is quieter and I do not get the occasional freeze.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:46 AM   #7
MVP

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3g
The humm noise is really loud when I have the system in the vertical position. Also, when the disc is in the drive and I jump back to the dashboard (via the guide button), there is a louder humm. If the system is in the horizontal, it is quieter and I do not get the occasional freeze.
This is pretty my the exact same experience I've had. I got a dirty disk error last week with NCAA, and then switched my 360 to horizontal and haven't had a problem since. The strange noises are not as noticeable now, but, my god, the fan in that thing sounds like a 747 engine!
Old 07-26-2006, 11:55 AM   #8
Rookie

You all should consider the Nyko Intercooler (http://www.ebgames.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=802205)

I had the same problems you were all describing until I dropped the $20 on the cooling fan.

Now my 360 runs and sounds better.

-Noah

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »