Home

I'm now a believer in the Momentum meter being too much

This is a discussion on I'm now a believer in the Momentum meter being too much within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-03-2006, 10:36 AM   #33
Rookie

digit4lcowboy's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: I'm now a believer in the Momentum meter being too much

I was robbed last night on Heisman. It had little to do with the momentum but I'm still pissed so I gotta rant.....

I was #13 Arkansas(6-0) playing at home against unranked Ole Miss (5-2). They fumble on their first play, I swoop it up and run it down inside the 10. Then I have McFadden try to sweep left and run it in. I get down to inches from the goal line and instead of running it into the corner untouched I get cocky and try to make slight contact with their defender and I fumble. I'm pissed but I learned my lesson. We go back and forth never getting up by more than 4 points. Then they tie it at the last second on a field goal and overtime here we come. So it is 24-24 going into OT. I strike first on a TD, then they score a TD and another TD on their next possession in double OT. However I block their extra point. Now all I have to do is score a TD and kick the extra point and I win by one. Well they squash McFadden in the backfield on 1st and 10. Now I have 12 yards to go. Well I get Marcus Monk (my #1 receiver and impact player) literally wide open (I'm talking a big 7-10 yard defender free circle around the guy) on 3 straight plays and on 3 straight plays he drops the damn ball. This guy's strength is posession so he has good hands and he had dropped maybe 3 passes total in the previous 6 games (Provided they were good passes). Total bulls#$%! I mean I guess it could happen but it ain't likely for a guy to drop 3 wide open passes in a row when he is that good, a 3 year starter, and playing at home.
Old 08-03-2006, 11:04 AM   #34
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by digit4lcowboy
Total bulls#$%! I mean I guess it could happen but it ain't likely for a guy to drop 3 wide open passes in a row when he is that good, a 3 year starter, and playing at home.
didnt randy moss do this on a monday night football game one year?
Old 08-03-2006, 11:17 AM   #35
MVP

FAM CEO's Arena

OVR: 10

Momentum...has no effect on my gameplay....I have won with and without having the momementum. I think it is implemented well. I see shifts in momementun all the time in real College Football.

This is some of the most fun I have ever had with a football game...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-03-2006, 12:24 PM   #36
MVP

therizing02's Arena

OVR: 20

I'm sorry, but I also think the momentum is just whack. I have played 2 close games out of about 20-25. The fumbles, the int's, the super human players on both sides of the ball with low ratings is just stupid.

As West Virginia (5 turnovers) at home against iowa I was losing 31-3 at half. As LSU at Florida I whacked them 41-10. I went up 14-0...game over. In Knoxville as Tennessee, I beat Florida 52-7. Do things like this happen? Of course, but to never play a close game with a score in the 20's is killing me. Last night I beat 95 FSU with 88 ND 49-7 on a neutral site!

Other games

Down 28-0 in the second quarter against Michigan in Columbus.
Down 31-3 in the second quarter against in Tallahassee as West Virginia

There are several other examples as well. I like the idea of momentum because it is huge in College football. It's just way overcooked in the game. It's almost ruining the game for me because none of the games are competitive.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:32 PM   #37
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by therizing02
I'm sorry, but I also think the momentum is just whack. I have played 2 close games out of about 20-25. The fumbles, the int's, the super human players on both sides of the ball with low ratings is just stupid.

As West Virginia (5 turnovers) at home against iowa I was losing 31-3 at half. As LSU at Florida I whacked them 41-10. I went up 14-0...game over. In Knoxville as Tennessee, I beat Florida 52-7. Do things like this happen? Of course, but to never play a close game with a score in the 20's is killing me. Last night I beat 95 FSU with 88 ND 49-7 on a neutral site!

Other games

Down 28-0 in the second quarter against Michigan in Columbus.
Down 31-3 in the second quarter against in Tallahassee as West Virginia

There are several other examples as well. I like the idea of momentum because it is huge in College football. It's just way overcooked in the game. It's almost ruining the game for me because none of the games are competitive.
It has not been a huge problem for me. I've had some good games and the momentum has not been a huge factor for me. I'm playing as VT and was down 0-17 at Boston College. I closed the gap and was just losing by three points. I got the ball back and was trying to drive the field for at least a tie with a few minutes left. I kept throwing to my star receiver and hit him deep for about a 40yd gain. I then ran the ball a few times and decided to go deep again. This time the CPU adjusted well and double teamed my wr but I threw the ball anyway hoping by wr would outrun the double team. He didn't and the DB picked me off and I lost 28-31. A great game. You can comeback in this game or you can get rolled. I believe it depends on how much you know about football.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:37 PM   #38
MVP

therizing02's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkroc
I tell you what, i use to be agaisnt HFA when ea first introduced it. Time went on an I started to really enjoy what it did. Now in the xbox version you have both momentum an Hfa now that can be alittle to much if your behind so for xbox users just turn off the HFA an you will just have the momenum meter.

The meomentum meter only has a +5 or -5 effect agaist team ratings so that's not to bad but if you have the right sliders the momentum is friggin awesome.

i have the xbox 360 version and I'm having a blast.

Look at your sliders that may be the problem.

Hold on...I feel pretty stupid now. Can you turn off HFA in '07? Where?
Old 08-03-2006, 12:39 PM   #39
MVP

therizing02's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh
Last night was the first time I really noticed it. Playing on Heisman w. my own sliders...

First year of my dynasty, I'm #6 PSU at #5 OSU.

They get the ball first and I get them into a 3rd and 12 situation right off the bat. They convert the third down for a 27 yard gain and their momentum meter pops halfway up. They then cut through my D like it's nothing (I don't have a problem w. that) and go up 7-0.

I put together an okay drive that ends on a Morelli INT in OSU territory when he got hit while throwing. They now have full momentum, which they'll keep until 2 minutes into the 4th quarter.

I couldn't really do much on offense (again I don't have a problem w. this) and they were basically unstoppable. Smith was running and passing all over my D. With 5 minutes left in the game I'm losing 38-0. They put in their second stringers after Morelli's 2nd INT.

The first play Zwick tries to throw a pass to the flat and my CB picks it off and returns it for six. 38-7, I now have full momentum. Next possession, a fumble. I call a play action pass, 47 yard TD pass to Derrick Williams. Next possession, another fumble. A long TD pass to Deon Butler this time. 38-21 w. around 3 minutes left. This time Zwick throws another INT on a terribly thrown post-pattern. Another TD pass to D-Will, I miss the 2-point conversion so it's 38-26. I get the ball one last time but time ran out when I was on their 24 yard line.

Granted my comeback had something to do w. their second stringers being in, once I got the momentum I scored four touchdowns and they had four turnovers in a four minute span.

I definitely agree w. others who said that if the home team scores first and get full momentum they almost always win. So far I'm 4-1 w. PSU, all my home games have been blowouts.

Just add this to the list of problems with the game. WHY was OSU throwing the ball that late in the game with a 38 point lead?! The playcalling AI is whack as well.
Old 08-03-2006, 02:32 PM   #40
MVP

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHWildcats
didnt randy moss do this on a monday night football game one year?
I think I remember that. It happened after one of his "incidents". I think maybe after the Redskins game when he walked off the field with like 8 seconds left?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »