Home

I'm now a believer in the Momentum meter being too much

This is a discussion on I'm now a believer in the Momentum meter being too much within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-01-2006, 01:04 PM   #1
Rookie

digit4lcowboy's Arena

OVR: 2
I'm now a believer in the Momentum meter being too much

I didn't think the momentum meter really mattered that much until last night when i started my dynasty. First possession USC fumbles and Arkansas scores, then they do it again and I score. I am up 14-0 and USC fights tooth and nail to lose 24-21 to my Ark team. Clearly I should have lost to them on Heisman mode. THEN Utah State goes up 28-7 on my Ark team b/c they scored first and had the momentum and I couldn't do crap! I ended up deciding to just run run run with McFadden, Jones, and backup qb Johnson and ended up winning at the last minute 49-42. It was absurd. They scored 28 points in the second quarter! Granted Ark defense is nowhere near the top but they can handle Utah State if they can shutout USC for half a game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-01-2006, 01:31 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 5
Re: I'm now a believer in the Momentum meter being too much

didn't TCU beat a top 5 OU team one year in the first week, only to lose to SMU a couple of games later?

it can happen i guess.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:33 PM   #3
MVP

bh446066's Arena

OVR: 26

Man this is frightening to me, as I've read quite a bit about the momentum feature (and how overblown it is). Sounds like sliders need to be adjusted to minimize turnovers for both the cpu and hum players to avoid huge momentum swings. That may be the only solution.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:35 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by digit4lcowboy
I didn't think the momentum meter really mattered that much until last night when i started my dynasty. First possession USC fumbles and Arkansas scores, then they do it again and I score. I am up 14-0 and USC fights tooth and nail to lose 24-21 to my Ark team. Clearly I should have lost to them on Heisman mode. THEN Utah State goes up 28-7 on my Ark team b/c they scored first and had the momentum and I couldn't do crap! I ended up deciding to just run run run with McFadden, Jones, and backup qb Johnson and ended up winning at the last minute 49-42. It was absurd. They scored 28 points in the second quarter! Granted Ark defense is nowhere near the top but they can handle Utah State if they can shutout USC for half a game.
I think the MM does a good job supporting the any given saturday theory. This gives a lesser talented team a chance to win. I play with USF and just played Miami @ Miami and I was able to score first giving me a huge momentum increase and I was able to hold on for the win. I then played Miami again in the orange bowl and lost, they scored twice before I was able to get on the board. I don't have a problem with it.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:37 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

TJdaSportsGuy's Arena

OVR: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by bh446066
Man this is frightening to me, as I've read quite a bit about the momentum feature (and how overblown it is). Sounds like sliders need to be adjusted to minimize turnovers for both the cpu and hum players to avoid huge momentum swings. That may be the only solution.
Are you f'ing kidding me? Seriously?

Folks...this IS college football! Upsets happen. Near upsets happen. It is QUITE POSSIBLE for Arkansas to beat USC one week then almost lose to Utah State the next.

You people are freakin' ridiculous with some of this stuff! Just play the damn game and stop worrying about whether or not the momentum meter is causing you to lose. Here's a hint....PLAY BETTER!!

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-01-2006, 01:38 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 17

With how much my team fumbles (the rb and qb most so) I have seriously started contemplating kicking a field goal ASAP on my opening possession just to get 5 bars of momentum.

It is sad, but it seems like a red zone opening drive fumble is just waiting to happen.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:45 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJdaSportsGuy
Are you f'ing kidding me? Seriously?

Folks...this IS college football! Upsets happen. Near upsets happen. It is QUITE POSSIBLE for Arkansas to beat USC one week then almost lose to Utah State the next.

You people are freakin' ridiculous with some of this stuff! Just play the damn game and stop worrying about whether or not the momentum meter is causing you to lose. Here's a hint....PLAY BETTER!!

AGREED. This is the exact reason why we love college football so much. Because of the tradition, pageantry and the feeling that on any given saturday, david can beat goliath..or at least give goliath a pretty damn good run for his money.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:46 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 13

Are you guys talking about the Xbox/PS2 or 360 version? I only have the 360 version so I can't comment on the other versions. The 360 version has a shield the ball button that should be used while running in tight quarters. You also need to switch hands to keep the ball on the opposite side of a defender in the open field. Utilizing these two buttons should lower your fumbles.

As far as momentum is concerned, I think it does a very good job of portraying it. If you try to regain it right away chances are you won't. You're forcing it by trying to strike back right away. You need to pound the ball out and sustain some drives while stopping their offense. The more you worry about the other teams momentum the more likely you are to make a mistake. That's pretty realistic IMO.

"A man is called selfish, not for pursuing his own good, but for neglecting his neighbor's."

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »