Home

Best spot on the ball to kick onside?

This is a discussion on Best spot on the ball to kick onside? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-10-2006, 11:19 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
Best spot on the ball to kick onside?

Is there a spot on the ball where you can kick the onside and get it most of the time. I usually leave the arrow right in the middle of the ball and full power. Is there a certain technique that works more than others. Thanks
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-10-2006, 01:10 PM   #2
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Best spot on the ball to kick onside?

In real life, they usually kick the top of the ball to get the high 2nd bounce. I haven't had a decent looking onside kick yet. I can rarely get the ball to go 10 yards.

Anyone have any tips?

Also, I'd like to see an addition made to onside kicks. Just like you select your formations & personnel on offense, you should have to do this on special teams as well. Then select fake punt, fake FG, onside ect.

I don't know about you all, but I rely heavily on the personnel of the offense. Some of my folks complain about me waiting for them to pick a play before I pick mine, but I tell them I need to make sure you committ to a personnel package before I call my D. I'm not going to pick my D first so someone can back out and go 5 wides against my 4-3.

Any way, back to onside kicks. I want the extra step for a few reasons:
  • Surprise onsides would be possible, but the kicking team would probably use base personnel and have less of a chance to recover, but would be kicking against a normal alignment.
  • Onsides kicks with the "hands" team WOULDN'T be such a surprise since the return team could see you're using the hands team. This means, 1)that the return team won't have to rely on audibling to onside recovery formation, and 2)they could select their "hands" team as well.
I'm going to put this on the wish list if someone hasn't already.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:50 PM   #3
All Star

bkfount's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyb316
Is there a spot on the ball where you can kick the onside and get it most of the time. I usually leave the arrow right in the middle of the ball and full power. Is there a certain technique that works more than others. Thanks
well the cpu came back on me by recovering onside kicks last night and their method (accident?) seems the best way to recorver them. I was playing Iowa and they were down by 14. They recovered two onside kicks and tied the game because they kicked the ball full power directly at my player who kneed the ball back to the kicking team. They did it twice!

Looking at that and around the net, it seems like you have to move the cursor down on the ball like half a line and kick it full power with you moving the aiming just a pixel or two for it to aim at the first guy across from the kicker. You are basically trying to hit him fast.

i've tried it and it works better than trying to get it to hop.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:57 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 14

Mid-to bottom, far right side (there is a fade on the ball on PS2, top right corner of that), stop meter right before the red zone. It's not guaranteed, but it gets the ball in the area that will result in potential success.
Old 08-11-2006, 01:29 PM   #5
Rookie

pbtiger's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkfount
well the cpu came back on me by recovering onside kicks last night and their method (accident?) seems the best way to recorver them. I was playing Iowa and they were down by 14. They recovered two onside kicks and tied the game because they kicked the ball full power directly at my player who kneed the ball back to the kicking team. They did it twice!
That happened to me twice against the CPU. Then I got the idea to take control of the player and moved him out of the way to let a back line player come up and make the recovery. Since then no recoveries by the CPU.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-11-2006, 01:59 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 2
Talking Re: Best spot on the ball to kick onside?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbtiger
That happened to me twice against the CPU. Then I got the idea to take control of the player and moved him out of the way to let a back line player come up and make the recovery. Since then no recoveries by the CPU.
I actually got an onside kick last night in a game where I was down 10 late. I put the cursor on the upper right side of the ball from center. I kicked it full power and sure as heck it hit and bounced up in the air right in front of my onside coverage and I fell on it before the defense could adjust. It could have been a complete lucky play but it DID WORK. Try this and see what happens? You could do it in the practice mode over and over again just to get a good sample size. I heard an announcer say that onside kicks are successful less than 10% of the time during a live game last season? Whatever that is worth? Good Luck....oh and I still lost the game with a terrible pick while driving down for the game winning score....to Northwestern of all schools? Well I wrote it off as their recently deceased head coach pulled some strings from up above to get the victory??

Too bad today's superstars don't feel this way about the game...
Old 08-11-2006, 05:00 PM   #7
All Star

bkfount's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbstanley74
I actually got an onside kick last night in a game where I was down 10 late. I put the cursor on the upper right side of the ball from center. I kicked it full power and sure as heck it hit and bounced up in the air right in front of my onside coverage and I fell on it before the defense could adjust. It could have been a complete lucky play but it DID WORK. Try this and see what happens? You could do it in the practice mode over and over again just to get a good sample size. I heard an announcer say that onside kicks are successful less than 10% of the time during a live game last season? Whatever that is worth? Good Luck....oh and I still lost the game with a terrible pick while driving down for the game winning score....to Northwestern of all schools? Well I wrote it off as their recently deceased head coach pulled some strings from up above to get the victory??
see, real onside kicks are supposed to bounce, and aren't as easy since it's kinda random. However my method of bouncing it off the receiving team works more often, even if it is less realistic and might be cheese to some.
Old 08-11-2006, 05:52 PM   #8
Rookie

wgrantham's Arena

OVR: 4

the bounce is put in so the other team cant fair catch. thats its only purpose. the AI probably isnt smart enough to fair catch if you dont bounce it either
MLB: Atlanta Braves
NBA: Who cares?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »