Home

Do redshirted players still progress?

This is a discussion on Do redshirted players still progress? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-12-2006, 06:18 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 14
Do redshirted players still progress?

I have a nice core of freshman tackles that are almost, or equal, to my veteran starters.. I am very tempted to redshirt them, let the older players play (even at the cost of a lower overall rating), but am curious if redshirted players will still progress at the end of the season?

I rely heavily on the run game, and I'd like to bring a core group of young tackles through their collegiate careers together, but I don't want to impede their progress through redshirting..

So basically, my question is, do redshirted players progress rating-wise? And if yes, how does their progress compare to that of a player that isn't redshirted, but sits on the bench most of the time?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-12-2006, 06:34 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

SoMiss2000's Arena

OVR: 32
Re: Do redshirted players still progress?

not a lot. it seems like freshmen only progress if they play. I also hate that created players don't progress as well. After the first year of my dynasty, I had to replace three starting offensive lineman. I landed 1 five star and two 4 star guys and they started immediately. It paid off as they racked up the pancakes and progressed wonderfully in the off-season.

Currently Listening: The D.O.C.: No One Can Do It Better (evidence that rap music used to be good!)
Old 08-12-2006, 06:37 PM   #3
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoMiss2000
not a lot. it seems like freshmen only progress if they play. I also hate that created players don't progress as well. After the first year of my dynasty, I had to replace three starting offensive lineman. I landed 1 five star and two 4 star guys and they started immediately. It paid off as they racked up the pancakes and progressed wonderfully in the off-season.
Hmm, if this is the case, maybe I will redshirt a lot less.. Previously, I've been redshirting everyone I possibly could on the notion that they would somehow improve more.

What are your general determining factors in whether you redshirt a player or not?
Old 08-12-2006, 07:00 PM   #4
All Star

bkfount's Arena

OVR: 21

they will still progress okay if you train them well during the offseason. I've have redshirted freshmen progress to upper 80's just because the offseason drills or whatever I sim.

but I don't think they do while they are redshirted. but it shouldn't really affect how you redshirt freshmen.
Old 08-12-2006, 09:31 PM   #5
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkfount
they will still progress okay if you train them well during the offseason. I've have redshirted freshmen progress to upper 80's just because the offseason drills or whatever I sim.

but I don't think they do while they are redshirted. but it shouldn't really affect how you redshirt freshmen.
Is training during the off-season a 360-only feature? I haven't seen it, and am playing on PS2.

If I have a situation where a player will ride the bench for the season, only getting some play during garbage time in blowouts, would you recommend redshirting him, or just keeping him on the bench? Which do you think would result in better progression?

I'm at the point where I am ready to start my season, but it's going to be a decision I will have to make, as I will end up redshirting 10 guys, or just benching them, depending on the recommendations.

Thanks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-12-2006, 09:40 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

SoMiss2000's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimplication
Is training during the off-season a 360-only feature? I haven't seen it, and am playing on PS2.

If I have a situation where a player will ride the bench for the season, only getting some play during garbage time in blowouts, would you recommend redshirting him, or just keeping him on the bench? Which do you think would result in better progression?

I'm at the point where I am ready to start my season, but it's going to be a decision I will have to make, as I will end up redshirting 10 guys, or just benching them, depending on the recommendations.

Thanks.
It's not in the 360 version, unless I haven't seen it.

Currently Listening: The D.O.C.: No One Can Do It Better (evidence that rap music used to be good!)
Old 08-12-2006, 09:43 PM   #7
All Star

bkfount's Arena

OVR: 21

no, there's training in the ps2 version. It's set by how much you allocate to it during the offseason. you know, where you have to split the sliders between recruiting, discipline, and training or whatever the other one is called.

I was just saying that I've had redshirt freshmen progress very nicely when I get to that progression popup in the offseason before you start the new season after you can play or sim the spring drills.

I only redshirt if I can afford to. You don't need to start freshmen if you're playing as a bigger school, since you probably have better or decent enough talent...but I start em for now in my Army dynasty.

you also have to keep possible depth in mind, since I've lost all my QB's one year and had a WR starting there, since I redshirted my freshman QB.
Old 08-12-2006, 10:41 PM   #8

Bruins's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkfount
no, there's training in the ps2 version. It's set by how much you allocate to it during the offseason. you know, where you have to split the sliders between recruiting, discipline, and training or whatever the other one is called.

I was just saying that I've had redshirt freshmen progress very nicely when I get to that progression popup in the offseason before you start the new season after you can play or sim the spring drills.

I only redshirt if I can afford to. You don't need to start freshmen if you're playing as a bigger school, since you probably have better or decent enough talent...but I start em for now in my Army dynasty.

you also have to keep possible depth in mind, since I've lost all my QB's one year and had a WR starting there, since I redshirted my freshman QB.
You realize you can un-redshirt a player by inserting him into the depth chart, right? Also, if a player doesn't play, he gets automatically redshirted.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »