Home

An Old Guy's Review of Xbox360 NCAA'07 - August 17th

This is a discussion on An Old Guy's Review of Xbox360 NCAA'07 - August 17th within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-16-2006, 02:44 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Thumbs up An Old Guy's Review of Xbox360 NCAA'07 - August 17th

XBOX360 NCAA 07 (the "Game") Review and Assessment:

First of all, let me say that this is an "impressive game" with improvements over last year's version, which in itself, was already a rock solid video college football game.

The assessments contained herein are based on reviewing the Game after playing approximately 45 - 50 games as well as a few seasons.
As such, this review focuses on the "game experience" and playing it. The review is not meant to be exhaustive, but it does try to take the reader through a game and assess this gamer's playing experience of NCAA 07.

This gamer used an XBox360 that was connected to an HD32" monitor. This gamer is 47 years old and his bias is toward realistic NFL play and painstaking replay-type details. This starts from his history of playing many statistical-based football board games (like Strat-O-Matic and APBA) since the mid-1970s. Testing of NCAA 07 (I had to tell my wife and teenagers that was what I was up to) involved largely playing realistically against the video console, on the All-American play level, with customized Fairdale Kings (bless this man) rosters (further tweaked and updated) as well as customized Sliders (based on Jistic and Playmakers sliders - bless them too) composed from this Operation Sports Website.

Packaging and Rule Book (9.0 out of 10)
The use of Bush on the cover is well done and the "featuring NCAA" logo makes it seem like ESPN will be extensively used throughout. The "Turn the Tide" header on the back of the package implies the "ups and downs" of U.S. college football. And NCAA 07 delivers with game play that - more then ever - allows for virtually anything to happen. The paper-thin rule book is sufficient to allow even simple gamers - like me - to figure how quickly how to use the Game. More clearly evident and thorough descriptions of how to shift players pre-snap and how to run hot routes needs to be improved as these are key elements of the Game, but are not as well elaborated on as they could and likely should be.

Game Start-up (9.5 out of 10)
The Game's load time is long, and the drawing of the "O"s, while interesting, could be improved with a video of each campus, school, mascot, etc. Conversely, it would be good to jump through multiple tecahning aides of the Game at the start, if a start-up video, is not going to be used again. Something needs to be added to put more juice in the start - unless - CD-ROM disk space could not have been spared? Your ability to pick your favorite team is great and instantly customizes the Game. It would be a great addition to allow you to input your own name and characteristics at the same time (much like the Football Manager series of Interactive Sports) so as to allow you to "take control of the team" as either Owner, Coach or GM (by the way, yes, I already have the PC version of Head Coach). Even with its exclusive licence EA Sports fails to deliver on a Pre-Game Show that the Game (with its game play depth and breadth) is just screaming for. Now, it makes sense to work on the Game itself and focus there, but remembering the NFL2K series (and its cult following that still haunts this board), it would seem that this Game needs a Pre-Game Show (that can be clicked by) that would give gamers the feel of the big games and/or the games that each of us deem is important (i.e., Washington versus Washington State).

Now, this year's implementation of the start up at the stadium (where it just "lights up") is magic.

The nearly perfectly rendered stadiums just come to life and it gets us gamers those rare electric moments - where we almost feel at the game itself. The coin toss implementation - though quick - needs some type of human interface added back into it. While, I agree that players running out to the center of the field is often too slow and boring (after the first 10 times) - a click through of this is still needed to allow us to enjoy it in big games. The goal line to defend and wind has finally been visually implemented in a very clear and staright forward way.

Kick-Off, Punting, Converts, Field-Goals and their various Returns (9.5 out of 10)
No one has criticized EA Sports for the kicking aspect of their games more than I have (unfortunately often to myself). While after 3-4 years of this, EA Sports has fixed it nearly 100%. While still needing a Slider tweak, no part of the Game is more improved then this element. Finally, you can block a Punt and/or a Field-Goal without having to play unrealistically. Wow! The key 1/3 of a football game has come to life. Also, the AI has been greatly improved to deal with fake punts, field goals, etc. I have returned a few kick-offs back, punt returns back (had them also both against me) and seen much more wild plays that the U.S. college kicking game is all about. Using Sliders provided on this Website can allow even a poor mechanical player (like me) to be able to see real enjoyment back in the kicking game. The new kick meter is a big improvement and finally I feel I won't make the kick everytime - more importantly, the console will miss sometimes and even have a block. Real gamers' excitment is based on "unknown results" - and in the kicking game - NCAA 07 delivers.

On Field and Stadium Atmosphere (9.5 out of 10)
Like NCAA 06, NCAA 07 uses mascots and the crowd effectively.
This year, the crowd does respond better to the actual happens on the field and seems to be aware of what is going on.
I would like to see this still intensified.
The feel of the Game comes through well, but could even be expanded on. Its good, now make it great.
But Wow!, the renderings of stadiums is high-powered, especially when one uses an HD TV as a monitor.
The momentum feature is very nice - but needs work as it remains unclear to this gamer as to the real level of effect they have on players/plays, etc. I like it - just give me more.
Let's also be fair and say that this Game really does get one in the college football game and makes you feel like you are at the stadium. Maybe a little bit more of making one feel like he/she is at their TV is also needed (i.e., Pre-Game Show and interactive half-time and post-game shows is needed). Conversely. the Game's broadcasters (i.e., Nessler, Herbstreit and Corso) remain rock solid and the calling of plays and scores is predominately right on. At the same time, Corso's play calling appears rarely to be decent.
Overall, the atmosphere is wonderful - so give me more of those great U.S. college songs!!!!!!

Passing Game (9.0 out of 10)
NCAA 07 has made QB positioning and throwing now better then ever. QBs no longer can throw 70 yards across the field as well as they can toss a 5 yard screen. Speaking of screen plays - FINALLY. A back can catch the ball and now turn up the field and run without getting sacked on every screen play. The play means something now - and really does relieve an offense of a defence that blitzes on every play. The short- and medium-range passing game has been modeled now very well. While receivers still get too many catches on crossing routes (especially up the middle), defenders can move in realistically (now at proper angles) and knock passes away. Numerous games I played I felt like "this finally feels like I am really running the pattern" - even when I dropped it or it got knocked away. I had to say to myself - WOW! - this is realistic. I know how tough this must be to program - but it has been key to getting short- and medium-range passing plays to be much more realistic. Conversely, the long passing game still needs work. While it is often too easy for the console to catch and make a huge play, the human player often finds it difficult get open and make an over-the-shoulder catch (maybe just me). I believe that long passing needs a "focus in" feature where once the pass is made the game focus in on the receiver so that I can attempt to make catch. John Madden has always said that football is a game of "one-on-one match-ups" and it would be nice to see up close these key (often game crucial) plays in real one-on-one battles. Granted it may be very difficult to program, but it would be interesting to see a pass come in and try and jump and get it or keep running if it is lead too far. The trouble now is once the throw is made, it is difficult to follow the ball into the receiver's hands when he is way down field and I would like to do something - other then press the "hands up" yellow button. Unlike a few previous releases - drop passes are now realistic and not all receivers have butter fingers. Conversely, hard hitters matter - and the game delivers "hard jarring hits" in a nice proportion to amazing catches. Without sounding too much like an EA Sports fanboy, I must admit that the passing game is truely nicely implemented and QBs now really pay if they throw the ball poorly (assuming Sliders are set properly). There are no longer robo throwers (i.e., throwing 50 yards down field off their left foot while being tackled). Pass Blocking is well implemented and animations are now more closely like realistic player interactions. While QB animations at time look like the QB is "lobbing" balls, I must say - well done EA Sports!

Running Game (8.5 out of 10)
I can never figure this aspect of the game out. It is almost like the programmers and develoeprs were QBs and WRs and not HB/FBs. It seems like all runnners (big or small) run well inside. A slam up the middle often results in good yardage - while HBs (who run outside) 90% of the time gain as much yardage up-the-middle as they can around-the-end. I have often believed that the NFL2K series developed the best running animations, models, styles and realistic results and have often wondered why EA Sports can not duplicate this. I believe that - as in long passes - we need to focus in on the runners and his blockers when running. While we still care what the WR on the opposite side of the field is doing, we need to first "focus in" on the runner and his immediate environment so as to be able to really control his cut, run, sprint and juke up the field. I would prefer this over the mashing of buttons (that while improved) still has no clear and easy-to-follow method (other then the overdone spin move) that is based on the actual skill of the particular player. All that being said, the running game is a big improvement over 2-3 years ago, when the Game had a rather stiff running system that looked more like shuffleboard.

Penalties, Interceptions and Fumbles (7.5 out of 10)
I put these all together because they all mean something bad has happened. With regard to penalties, the Game's programmers still surprise me. It seems like false starts and offsides are almost impossible to program, because they are never realistic out of the box. Assuming NHL programers are not writing the penalty logic, it is hard to understand how difficult can this be year after year. If it means I have to say please - then PLEASE program this properly. Furthermore, please spend some resources making holding, clipping and other basic penalities more accurate. While I know this is not true, it almost seems like this aspect of the Game is never beta tested. While EA Sports has fixed the kicking game - the same now needs to be spent on penalties. Even casual and young gamers expect this to be part of any football game. Dido the above for Interceptions. Can't we get some Sliders out of the box that look like they were tested by U.S., not foreign, football players. Lastly, fumbles. The Game needs a Fumble Slider. In dry weather games it takes an earthquake hit (or grap from behind) to cause a fumble (OK - I am too extreme), while in rainy weather players fumble the ball if a defensive player's fingernail hits the ball.

Defense (8.5 out of 10)
Always a tough part of the game to control. It would be nice to create a defensive play system that would allow the gamer to better control the key defensive players. It seems that it is better to let the console/computer control key defensive players so as not to miss a key defensive coverage or run the wrong way. In truth, I am not sure how to fix this other then to control a lineman or MLB (like I do now). EA Sports has make touchdown gains in programing NCAA 07 and Madden defenses, but it would be great if they could in some way allow the gamers to better follow the angles of throws on his/her monitor so as to realistically know when to "step-in" and when to "stay-back" (not saying you should get it right every time). All that being said, and not being critcial of the impossible, the defensive play is greatly improved from a few years ago (and even a little bit from last year) and still gives this gamer some sense of being able to get that display on the bottom of the screen - "User Tackle".

Intangibles (9.5 out of 10)
The Game's adjustments (hot routes, audibles, etc.) remain robust.
The atmosphere is "College Football".
Dynasty mode remains the deepest and strongest of any sports game.
While Internet and Online play is improved; it is obvious it is still a good way from being at the same level as offline play.

Overall (8.9 out of 10)
A long-time football board game, then Madden and NFL2K fan, I must admit that while all of these video football games are very good, it does appear to this gamer that NCAA 07 remains the "most fun game of football" to play. The emotion and fun of this game is very addictive; so much so, to drive even an old timer to write this long review.

With my Xbox360 and PC waiting for Madden 07 on Tuesday, it remains uncertain to this gamer whether that NFL pro football game can match the skill and depth of this wonderful college football game.

Last edited by rwevans1001; 08-17-2006 at 12:57 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2006, 03:52 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 2
Re: An Old Guy's Review of Xbox360 NCAA'07 - August 17th

Hey, old man river, zip it or I'll break your hip.
Old 08-16-2006, 11:27 PM   #3
Rookie

goalkeepr's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxchp22
Hey, old man river, zip it or I'll break your hip.
Saw that movie last night, too.
Old 08-16-2006, 11:29 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 3

I guess I haven't seen the latest movie with "hip" references. I don't get it. Also known as... WHAT FUGGIN MOVIE DO YOU MEAN?
Old 08-17-2006, 12:43 AM   #5
Rookie

goalkeepr's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizturbd
I guess I haven't seen the latest movie with "hip" references. I don't get it. Also known as... WHAT FUGGIN MOVIE DO YOU MEAN?
Big Daddy. It was on TV last night.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/0306061billy1.html

Last edited by goalkeepr; 08-17-2006 at 12:46 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-17-2006, 10:49 AM   #6
Rookie

Thumbs up Re: An Old Guy's Review of Xbox360 NCAA'07 - August 17th

great review. sounds like you definetly spent some time coming up with your score. I have NCAA 07 on xbox,and have been on the edge about buying a 360 and the game, but you have convinced me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwevans1001
XBOX360 NCAA 07 (the "Game") Review and Assessment:

First of all, let me say that this is an "impressive game" with improvements over last year's version, which in itself, was already a rock solid video college football game.

The assessments contained herein are based on reviewing the Game after playing approximately 45 - 50 games as well as a few seasons.
As such, this review focuses on the "game experience" and playing it. The review is not meant to be exhaustive, but it does try to take the reader through a game and assess this gamer's playing experience of NCAA 07.

This gamer used an XBox360 that was connected to an HD32" monitor. This gamer is 47 years old and his bias is toward realistic NFL play and painstaking replay-type details. This starts from his history of playing many statistical-based football board games (like Strat-O-Matic and APBA) since the mid-1970s. Testing of NCAA 07 (I had to tell my wife and teenagers that was what I was up to) involved largely playing realistically against the video console, on the All-American play level, with customized Fairdale Kings (bless this man) rosters (further tweaked and updated) as well as customized Sliders (based on Jistic and Playmakers sliders - bless them too) composed from this Operation Sports Website.

Packaging and Rule Book (9.0 out of 10)
The use of Bush on the cover is well done and the "featuring NCAA" logo makes it seem like ESPN will be extensively used throughout. The "Turn the Tide" header on the back of the package implies the "ups and downs" of U.S. college football. And NCAA 07 delivers with game play that - more then ever - allows for virtually anything to happen. The paper-thin rule book is sufficient to allow even simple gamers - like me - to figure how quickly how to use the Game. More clearly evident and thorough descriptions of how to shift players pre-snap and how to run hot routes needs to be improved as these are key elements of the Game, but are not as well elaborated on as they could and likely should be.

Game Start-up (9.5 out of 10)
The Game's load time is long, and the drawing of the "O"s, while interesting, could be improved with a video of each campus, school, mascot, etc. Conversely, it would be good to jump through multiple tecahning aides of the Game at the start, if a start-up video, is not going to be used again. Something needs to be added to put more juice in the start - unless - CD-ROM disk space could not have been spared? Your ability to pick your favorite team is great and instantly customizes the Game. It would be a great addition to allow you to input your own name and characteristics at the same time (much like the Football Manager series of Interactive Sports) so as to allow you to "take control of the team" as either Owner, Coach or GM (by the way, yes, I already have the PC version of Head Coach). Even with its exclusive licence EA Sports fails to deliver on a Pre-Game Show that the Game (with its game play depth and breadth) is just screaming for. Now, it makes sense to work on the Game itself and focus there, but remembering the NFL2K series (and its cult following that still haunts this board), it would seem that this Game needs a Pre-Game Show (that can be clicked by) that would give gamers the feel of the big games and/or the games that each of us deem is important (i.e., Washington versus Washington State).

Now, this year's implementation of the start up at the stadium (where it just "lights up") is magic.

The nearly perfectly rendered stadiums just come to life and it gets us gamers those rare electric moments - where we almost feel at the game itself. The coin toss implementation - though quick - needs some type of human interface added back into it. While, I agree that players running out to the center of the field is often too slow and boring (after the first 10 times) - a click through of this is still needed to allow us to enjoy it in big games. The goal line to defend and wind has finally been visually implemented in a very clear and staright forward way.

Kick-Off, Punting, Converts, Field-Goals and their various Returns (9.5 out of 10)
No one has criticized EA Sports for the kicking aspect of their games more than I have (unfortunately often to myself). While after 3-4 years of this, EA Sports has fixed it nearly 100%. While still needing a Slider tweak, no part of the Game is more improved then this element. Finally, you can block a Punt and/or a Field-Goal without having to play unrealistically. Wow! The key 1/3 of a football game has come to life. Also, the AI has been greatly improved to deal with fake punts, field goals, etc. I have returned a few kick-offs back, punt returns back (had them also both against me) and seen much more wild plays that the U.S. college kicking game is all about. Using Sliders provided on this Website can allow even a poor mechanical player (like me) to be able to see real enjoyment back in the kicking game. The new kick meter is a big improvement and finally I feel I won't make the kick everytime - more importantly, the console will miss sometimes and even have a block. Real gamers' excitment is based on "unknown results" - and in the kicking game - NCAA 07 delivers.

On Field and Stadium Atmosphere (9.5 out of 10)
Like NCAA 06, NCAA 07 uses mascots and the crowd effectively.
This year, the crowd does respond better to the actual happens on the field and seems to be aware of what is going on.
I would like to see this still intensified.
The feel of the Game comes through well, but could even be expanded on. Its good, now make it great.
But Wow!, the renderings of stadiums is high-powered, especially when one uses an HD TV as a monitor.
The momentum feature is very nice - but needs work as it remains unclear to this gamer as to the real level of effect they have on players/plays, etc. I like it - just give me more.
Let's also be fair and say that this Game really does get one in the college football game and makes you feel like you are at the stadium. Maybe a little bit more of making one feel like he/she is at their TV is also needed (i.e., Pre-Game Show and interactive half-time and post-game shows is needed). Conversely. the Game's broadcasters (i.e., Nessler, Herbstreit and Corso) remain rock solid and the calling of plays and scores is predominately right on. At the same time, Corso's play calling appears rarely to be decent.
Overall, the atmosphere is wonderful - so give me more of those great U.S. college songs!!!!!!

Passing Game (9.0 out of 10)
NCAA 07 has made QB positioning and throwing now better then ever. QBs no longer can throw 70 yards across the field as well as they can toss a 5 yard screen. Speaking of screen plays - FINALLY. A back can catch the ball and now turn up the field and run without getting sacked on every screen play. The play means something now - and really does relieve an offense of a defence that blitzes on every play. The short- and medium-range passing game has been modeled now very well. While receivers still get too many catches on crossing routes (especially up the middle), defenders can move in realistically (now at proper angles) and knock passes away. Numerous games I played I felt like "this finally feels like I am really running the pattern" - even when I dropped it or it got knocked away. I had to say to myself - WOW! - this is realistic. I know how tough this must be to program - but it has been key to getting short- and medium-range passing plays to be much more realistic. Conversely, the long passing game still needs work. While it is often too easy for the console to catch and make a huge play, the human player often finds it difficult get open and make an over-the-shoulder catch (maybe just me). I believe that long passing needs a "focus in" feature where once the pass is made the game focus in on the receiver so that I can attempt to make catch. John Madden has always said that football is a game of "one-on-one match-ups" and it would be nice to see up close these key (often game crucial) plays in real one-on-one battles. Granted it may be very difficult to program, but it would be interesting to see a pass come in and try and jump and get it or keep running if it is lead too far. The trouble now is once the throw is made, it is difficult to follow the ball into the receiver's hands when he is way down field and I would like to do something - other then press the "hands up" yellow button. Unlike a few previous releases - drop passes are now realistic and not all receivers have butter fingers. Conversely, hard hitters matter - and the game delivers "hard jarring hits" in a nice proportion to amazing catches. Without sounding too much like an EA Sports fanboy, I must admit that the passing game is truely nicely implemented and QBs now really pay if they throw the ball poorly (assuming Sliders are set properly). There are no longer robo throwers (i.e., throwing 50 yards down field off their left foot while being tackled). Pass Blocking is well implemented and animations are now more closely like realistic player interactions. While QB animations at time look like the QB is "lobbing" balls, I must say - well done EA Sports!

Running Game (8.5 out of 10)
I can never figure this aspect of the game out. It is almost like the programmers and develoeprs were QBs and WRs and not HB/FBs. It seems like all runnners (big or small) run well inside. A slam up the middle often results in good yardage - while HBs (who run outside) 90% of the time gain as much yardage up-the-middle as they can around-the-end. I have often believed that the NFL2K series developed the best running animations, models, styles and realistic results and have often wondered why EA Sports can not duplicate this. I believe that - as in long passes - we need to focus in on the runners and his blockers when running. While we still care what the WR on the opposite side of the field is doing, we need to first "focus in" on the runner and his immediate environment so as to be able to really control his cut, run, sprint and juke up the field. I would prefer this over the mashing of buttons (that while improved) still has no clear and easy-to-follow method (other then the overdone spin move) that is based on the actual skill of the particular player. All that being said, the running game is a big improvement over 2-3 years ago, when the Game had a rather stiff running system that looked more like shuffleboard.

Penalties, Interceptions and Fumbles (7.5 out of 10)
I put these all together because they all mean something bad has happened. With regard to penalties, the Game's programmers still surprise me. It seems like false starts and offsides are almost impossible to program, because they are never realistic out of the box. Assuming NHL programers are not writing the penalty logic, it is hard to understand how difficult can this be year after year. If it means I have to say please - then PLEASE program this properly. Furthermore, please spend some resources making holding, clipping and other basic penalities more accurate. While I know this is not true, it almost seems like this aspect of the Game is never beta tested. While EA Sports has fixed the kicking game - the same now needs to be spent on penalties. Even casual and young gamers expect this to be part of any football game. Dido the above for Interceptions. Can't we get some Sliders out of the box that look like they were tested by U.S., not foreign, football players. Lastly, fumbles. The Game needs a Fumble Slider. In dry weather games it takes an earthquake hit (or grap from behind) to cause a fumble (OK - I am too extreme), while in rainy weather players fumble the ball if a defensive player's fingernail hits the ball.

Defense (8.5 out of 10)
Always a tough part of the game to control. It would be nice to create a defensive play system that would allow the gamer to better control the key defensive players. It seems that it is better to let the console/computer control key defensive players so as not to miss a key defensive coverage or run the wrong way. In truth, I am not sure how to fix this other then to control a lineman or MLB (like I do now). EA Sports has make touchdown gains in programing NCAA 07 and Madden defenses, but it would be great if they could in some way allow the gamers to better follow the angles of throws on his/her monitor so as to realistically know when to "step-in" and when to "stay-back" (not saying you should get it right every time). All that being said, and not being critcial of the impossible, the defensive play is greatly improved from a few years ago (and even a little bit from last year) and still gives this gamer some sense of being able to get that display on the bottom of the screen - "User Tackle".

Intangibles (9.5 out of 10)
The Game's adjustments (hot routes, audibles, etc.) remain robust.
The atmosphere is "College Football".
Dynasty mode remains the deepest and strongest of any sports game.
While Internet and Online play is improved; it is obvious it is still a good way from being at the same level as offline play.

Overall (8.9 out of 10)
A long-time football board game, then Madden and NFL2K fan, I must admit that while all of these video football games are very good, it does appear to this gamer that NCAA 07 remains the "most fun game of football" to play. The emotion and fun of this game is very addictive; so much so, to drive even an old timer to write this long review.

With my Xbox360 and PC waiting for Madden 07 on Tuesday, it remains uncertain to this gamer whether that NFL pro football game can match the skill and depth of this wonderful college football game.
Old 08-17-2006, 11:54 AM   #7
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

OVR: 36

To me you're a young whippersnapper, but I do agree with your review except that I think the atmosphere is lacking, despite the nice graphics. I can't put my finger on what it is, only to say that the first break through NCAA game (what year was that anyway -2001?) had loads of the atmosphere intangible. I consider it the best football game I've ever played so I have to give it a 9.2. I'm still looking for the perfect slider for CPU FG kicking. I have it set on FG POWER-37 and FG ACCURACY-35 (AA), but they seem to rarely miss.
Old 08-17-2006, 01:22 PM   #8
Banned

You were way too easy on the manual. The manual gets a 6/10. A good thing is that EA put a ton of stuff into the game that would have taken up pages, however, they were too cheap to explain it to us with paper and ink.

Also, running inside is indeed to easy on all-american. Since I've switched to playmaker's heisman level 3 sliders, it has gotten much more realistic.

Good read, thanks for the review. Always curious as to how another person is experiencing the game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »