Home

Does the Pitch/Toss play EVER work?

This is a discussion on Does the Pitch/Toss play EVER work? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-17-2006, 03:56 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Does the Pitch/Toss play EVER work?

I can run it up the gut, run a draw, ride "outside", but let me call a pitch and I'd say maybe one out of twenty, I get out of the backfield.........it's not a mix up the play issue either because I might call a pitch once/twice a game just for the heck of it...and it never works.

What's the trick?

Now running the option is another and different story....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-17-2006, 03:58 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 17
Re: Does the Pitch/Toss play EVER work?

The pitches and tosses work for me, but for the most part, I avoid them because the reward factor is not there. Usually, if you can run a toss play successfully, you can get decent yards, but not as much consistently as you would with slams, dives and tackles.

The main thing with tosses is to not outrun your blockers, I never hit the sprint button on a toss until I am clear unless there are defenders with a direct bead on me and no blockers left to help.
Old 08-17-2006, 04:00 PM   #3
MVP

choadler's Arena

OVR: 14

I have had it work and I have also been shut down. If I catch them in a blitz with the OLB on that side and my line picks it up, it usually goes for big yardarge.
Old 08-17-2006, 04:13 PM   #4
Pro

kapo's Arena

OVR: 6

They hardly ever work and its not because you're outrunning your blockers its because the linemen just dont do there job plain and simple. The defense is in your face as soon as you catch the ball from the pitch most of the time. There is one toss in I formation that works every now and then but only if the D is playing man, motion the receiver you're running towards to the other side and you can usually outrun the outside linebacker...if you dont get tackled for a loss before the play even develops that is.
Old 08-17-2006, 04:26 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 1

The trick to it is setting your sliders so that your run blocking and rb ability are threw the roof. Then you will go for like 20 a pitch.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-17-2006, 05:42 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 0

the only play i ever do on goaline is pitches.....the goaline formation pitch versus any goaline play works because the CB's come in when they see that you are in a goaline and there is NOTHING to the outside....if i am at like the 50 and im at 3rd and short and my opponent picks goaline i always pick this play and more than not, the HB goes for 6 if hes 88 speed or above
Old 08-17-2006, 06:02 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 18

For me, I don't use it often. I tend to use it when I'm up and need to run clock. I've had a couple of big gains using a big formation in a 3 wide set.
Old 08-17-2006, 06:21 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 15

I agree with a couple of guys here you have to run be patient, also have fair sliders will help running tosses on heisman is an excercise in frustration, i just posted this in another thread, I have current gen BTW

You have to run tosses under optimum circumstances. heres a few pointers

First you have to have a back with good enough speed ie 90+

Wait till the center points at the defense for whatever reason that seems to make the offensive line get to thier blocks better and they are less likely to wiff on bloks

Dont speed burst as soon as you get the ball, when you get the ball take a normal step toward the line of scrimage to draw the d linemen into their blocks then sprint toward the outside hopefully beating the linebackers to the corner, Ive even all out stopped to allow my blockers to get out in front and then sprinted towards an open hole

Keep your eye out for the corner back

Run the toss with overloaded sides, so run it to an empty side with no DBs if possible, or run it to the side with more recievers than DBs

try not to run the toss when your momentum is way down, And never run towards the side of a charged impact linebacker

Shift your lineman, it doesnt seem to work every time but i have seen linemen shift over to turn guys on the line for the toss

Use motion to get the D line to shift to the side opposite your toss.

Assume your tight end will mis his block, go into the toss prepared to dodge the first early defender, if you can get the defense to shift into a position where the tightend doesnt have to block a defensive lineman that way he can hopefully get a linbacker or safety

All in all the main think i feel works is having a good o line, being patient, and cutting up feild at the best moment dont spread it out unless you have too, if you can get your blokers to create a wall run it through whatever hole is in it and try to veer inside away from the cornerback

Last edited by feeq14; 08-17-2006 at 06:23 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »