Home

Playing as a LB

This is a discussion on Playing as a LB within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-21-2006, 09:16 AM   #1
Pro

Soonerd2's Arena

OVR: 7
Playing as a LB

I've never won any linebacker awards. I've won all of the other ones several times over. I usually play as my d lineman or the blitzing DB. So I figured if I haven't won any LB awards yet, maybe I should use him. Well I get more picks now with the LB but I always get blocked too easily on run plays. I'm not making many tackling, so the stats aren't there and the awards won't be either. Now with recruiting, IMO, harder this year I', not getting many LB's interested in me.

Any suggestions?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-21-2006, 12:09 PM   #2
MVP

Re: Playing as a LB

Getting enough tackles has traditionally been the achilles' heel in this game, as far as having human-controlled teams' LBs compete for awards. Increasing the minutes per quarter could help if you currently have that set on the low side. This could, however, throw some of your other stats that were previously okay, out of whack.
Old 08-21-2006, 01:09 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2

unless u want way high scorin games, dont expect to win a LB award...
Old 08-21-2006, 01:23 PM   #4
MVP

mudtiger's Arena

OVR: 16

I always play as MLB and for the first time in NCAA, I'm actually in the top 5 for tackles in the league. I'm playing as mizzou and they have a 90 rated non impact MLB Harrington.

I think I average about 8 tackles a game playing with 10 minute quarters. I had a 14 tackle game not too long ago. You get credit for pushing guys out of bounds this year which helps...I don't think that was in the game in previous years.

You need to strafe everywhere and always try to turn run plays back to the inside. When you get engaged in a block, you can still make the tackle if you are close enough to the back and use the swim move to get in his way. The biggest problem I have is over pursuit - taking yourself out of the play by going too deep in the backfield or getting burned by counters or play action. While you need to move to the play obviously, if you over pursue and commit too far to the playside the cpu can and will cut back to the area you just vacated.

EDIT:
after 7 games, here are the league leaders

*MIZ LB Harrington 56TKL(1stBIG12, 1st[t]NCAA), 10TFL, 2INT, 18PassDefl, 2FF, 1BLOCK
CIN LB Smith 56TKL, 3TFL, 1INT, 3PD
AKRON LB Stokes 55TKL, 10TFL, 2SK, 3PD, 1FF
IND LB Johnson 53TKL, 6TFL, 3SK, 3INT, 5PD, 2FF
KAN LB Rivera 50TKL, 11TFL, 5SK, 4PD, 1FF, 1FR
-------
sack leaders
ND DE Frome 30TKL, 20TFL, 9SK
NM DE Tuohy 33TKL, 17TFL, 8SK

Last edited by mudtiger; 08-21-2006 at 01:29 PM.
Old 08-21-2006, 02:50 PM   #5
Bacon

CM1847's Arena

OVR: 19

You can get the tackles playing as MLB if you have the right guy. Ignore overall ratings/stars and look at the speed, tackling and catch ratings. I use the fastest guy I have, that alone will get you an extra 2 tackles a game on toss/pitch runs. The catch rating is big because as a MLB you will ahve the chance to grab a handful of INTs every year, but if your guy can't catch, you are only going to knock down the passes, INTs are big in the awards. Finally, taclking is big for obvious reasons. It is really frustrating for me to play with a bad MLB and make a good play on the HB only to have them break through the tackle.

I haven't won the LB award yet, but I have had one guy make the final 3 and 2 more finish in the top 5. One guy finished 4th because he had big games after the finalist cuts were made, but he ended up being the 1st team All-American MLB.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-05-2006, 10:01 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 1

Well I usually get at least one of my OLB in competition for the award almost every year, sometimes both of my OLBs and maybe even a MLB. I think the key for me though is that I play the 3-4 defense on NCAA. I find that this equals more disruption in the backfield creating TFLs and sacks (generally my main OLB averages 10 or more sacks a year). Doing this I've even had a OLB win the heisman (in 06 and in 05).
Old 09-05-2006, 11:38 AM   #7
MVP

Mizzou23's Arena

OVR: 13

This has been a game flaw for years. One of the biggest reasons your LB's never win any awards is because it's tough to get sacks with LB's. The reason for that is because blitzing up the middle is worthless most of the time. They'll just get clogged up with all the guys on the O-Line/D-Line. You just have to sort of get lucky and hope your guy can get some INT's or recover some fumbles. D-backs get way too many tackles...much moreso than in real life.
Old 09-05-2006, 11:45 AM   #8
Pro

Soonerd2's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou23
This has been a game flaw for years. One of the biggest reasons your LB's never win any awards is because it's tough to get sacks with LB's. The reason for that is because blitzing up the middle is worthless most of the time. They'll just get clogged up with all the guys on the O-Line/D-Line. You just have to sort of get lucky and hope your guy can get some INT's or recover some fumbles. D-backs get way too many tackles...much moreso than in real life.
I noticed, since I posted this I almost won the Bednarik by getting INT's and FF & FR. Finished second for the award. I get alot of my sacks blitzing from the secondary. No LB sacks, probably just me, I'm sure there will be more posts telling me I'm not good at the game now.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »