Home

Schedule effect on recruiting?

This is a discussion on Schedule effect on recruiting? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-08-2006, 01:41 PM   #9
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75
Re: Schedule effect on recruiting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedknick
In my last season, I finished 9-4 and ranked #25 in the country. Even then I only had (3) 3* recruits interested.

Now, a majority of my MAC games aren't on TV, except for Kent St. and usually one or two others, but I usually schedule a tough non-conf. schedule with ranked teams and all those games end up on TV. Plus, I have played in a bowl game each of the last 2 years.

My best recruiting class was #34, that was after I had won the MAC and finished the year 11-3, but I was also able to snag a 5* HB in season and 3 other 4* players, I'm sure that helped.
As a MAC team, you are probably punished severely by recruits for not being a BCS conference. Have you been offered a spot in a better conference yet?
Old 09-08-2006, 01:47 PM   #10
Rookie

tedknick's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
As a MAC team, you are probably punished severely by recruits for not being a BCS conference. Have you been offered a spot in a better conference yet?
Not yet, I am currently 1-1 in my third season with this team. I was 11-3 the first year winning the MAC and the GMAC Bowl. Year 2, I went 9-4 winning the Houston Bowl.

This is actually my second stint with this team, I created them as an Academic team and booted Akron from the MAC. I spent two years there and won 1 game, got fired and went to Army. I spent 3 good years at Army and then went back to the created team.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:50 PM   #11
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedknick
Not yet, I am currently 1-1 in my third season with this team. I was 11-3 the first year winning the MAC and the GMAC Bowl. Year 2, I went 9-4 winning the Houston Bowl.

This is actually my second stint with this team, I created them as an Academic team and booted Akron from the MAC. I spent two years there and won 1 game, got fired and went to Army. I spend 3 good years at Army and then went back to the created team.
Talk about a glutton for punishment! You won one game in two years and actually went back! After getting fired no less. Are you simming these games or did you take the beatings in person? Major props if you did.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-08-2006, 01:55 PM   #12
Rookie

tedknick's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
Talk about a glutton for punishment! You won one game in two years and actually went back! After getting fired no less. Are you simming these games or did you take the beatings in person? Major props if you did.
I took about 75% of the beatings the first season (0-12), but only half the second season (1-11), but I did win the 1 game. It was hard since the team was all D+'s across the board to start. My goal was to turn that team into a powerhouse, so after getting fired, I wanted to do well elsewhere and then go back when my contract was up, it worked out.
Old 09-08-2006, 02:03 PM   #13
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

You have more patience than me. I like to start with a B team in a good conference and work my way up. I don't like to start all the way at the bottom - I would get too frustrated.

My offense is very young this year because I did a poor job of recruiting at WR the year before. I was stunned when some just turned me down late in recruiting and now I have one senior, one true sophomore and tons of true freshman. My starting TE is also a true freshman. I have a sophomore RB starting as well and will have to be very conservative. I couldn't redshirt many of these guys since I need them right away. I wanted them to improve a bit in their first year since I knew they would be starting the next year.

My current mess will be at DE next year as they will be bad if I can't recruit any good ones this year. Again, a freshman will probably end up starting. Its fun and disappointing at the same time. My five year plan for a championship is off to a slow start. Its year 3 and my team seems like they have taken a step back almost but my offense should be really good in year 5 if I can find a new QB this offseason.
Old 09-08-2006, 02:18 PM   #14
Rookie

tedknick's Arena

I think that is what I love the most about NCAA Football, you have to take what you can get and make it work. With Madden, you can sign free agents and make trades and build a team that way. In NCAA, you have to really be patient and work towards making a good team.

This game has been such a blast for me because I sometimes actually enjoy struggling. Last season, I had 4 in season recruits burn me and I ended up only getting (1) 4* cb. I was mad, but it made the game more realistic. I would always get bored in older versions when I could turn a crappy team into a powerhouse in 5 seasons. I am 8 seasons into this version and I haven't simmed a game since season 2; I still can't wait to play this game every night.
Old 09-08-2006, 03:37 PM   #15
Rookie

mierk's Arena

Question -- is it considered gaming the system to schedule either additional marquee teams in hopes of getting more TV time, or OOC teams that you end up competing with for recruits? I am playing as ASU and I seem to always be competing with Utah, Fresno State, and Texas for alot of my recruits inseason -- oftentimes with them even stealing instate guys away from me. I've thought about adding them to my OOC schedule some years (not EVERY year, I do like to play a variety of teams) but not sure if that's considered cheating. At the very least, I would rather schedule other BCS schools rather than the occasional Northern Arizona or San Jose State that comes up on the schedule.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-08-2006, 04:40 PM   #16
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mierk
Question -- is it considered gaming the system to schedule either additional marquee teams in hopes of getting more TV time, or OOC teams that you end up competing with for recruits? I am playing as ASU and I seem to always be competing with Utah, Fresno State, and Texas for alot of my recruits inseason -- oftentimes with them even stealing instate guys away from me. I've thought about adding them to my OOC schedule some years (not EVERY year, I do like to play a variety of teams) but not sure if that's considered cheating. At the very least, I would rather schedule other BCS schools rather than the occasional Northern Arizona or San Jose State that comes up on the schedule.
I would not consider that gaming the system. The important thing to remember is that you need to win those games, whether they are on TV or not. Losing to a school a recruit has on his list may drop you on his list and winning could make you rise on his list.... that is until it becomes to easy to beat the major OOC games you schedule. when that happens, it is time to move up a level or adjust sliders

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »