Home

Controlling the MLB?

This is a discussion on Controlling the MLB? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-20-2006, 05:33 PM   #1
Hall Of Fame

NoleFan's Arena

OVR: 22
Controlling the MLB?

When controlling the MLB, do you simply follow his assignment or do you read & react or what. I've gotten back into playing and I don't want to control a S and with the sliders I'm using, controlling a DL is pointless. I think it'd be fun to control the MLB but I don't know how...especially in zone coverage. So far, the cpu QB has been hitting right where I should be or vacate. I'm a bit lost.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-20-2006, 08:19 PM   #2
Rookie

buckeye726's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Controlling the MLB?

both man. play the assignment and read the run. that's the only time I have ever recorded over 100 tackles and multiple picks was when I controlled the MLB. Watch out for the play action though.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:44 PM   #3
MVP

mudtiger's Arena

OVR: 16

Strafe everywhere. As you get better you'll be able to bait the cpu into throwing the ball where you want him to.

For example, leave your assignment to cover the fullback out of the backfield to instead roam the middle. Drift towards the fullback, but stay in the middle. You can many times bait the cpu into throwing to the wide open FB to avoid the congested middle. Just zoom over there and make the stop for a short gain.

In zone coverage, stay in your area and be aware of how many receivers are running routes and to what area they are running. If all the receivers have run out routes and you're hanging around the middle, you aren't doing any good (unless there is a qb scramble threat). Either rush the qb or move to where the receivers are.

If your zone responsibility is overloaded, cover the deep threat before the shorter route.

Watch out for late crossing routes. Cpu loves to hit these just as you start to abandon your zone responsibility.

Try to attack the run to push the runner back to the middle when possible.

If you bite on the play action big time you might as well continue towards the qb and go for the sack.

Use the knockdown button liberally.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:49 PM   #4
Rookie

tfin1212's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudtiger
Strafe everywhere. As you get better you'll be able to bait the cpu into throwing the ball where you want him to.

For example, leave your assignment to cover the fullback out of the backfield to instead roam the middle. Drift towards the fullback, but stay in the middle. You can many times bait the cpu into throwing to the wide open FB to avoid the congested middle. Just zoom over there and make the stop for a short gain.

In zone coverage, stay in your area and be aware of how many receivers are running routes and to what area they are running. If all the receivers have run out routes and you're hanging around the middle, you aren't doing any good (unless there is a qb scramble threat). Either rush the qb or move to where the receivers are.

If your zone responsibility is overloaded, cover the deep threat before the shorter route.

Watch out for late crossing routes. Cpu loves to hit these just as you start to abandon your zone responsibility.

Try to attack the run to push the runner back to the middle when possible.

If you bite on the play action big time you might as well continue towards the qb and go for the sack.

Use the knockdown button liberally.
Well stated. Couldnt say it any better.
Old 09-21-2006, 05:40 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

NoleFan's Arena

Geez! I went back into my formerly coach mode Fresno State dynasty in year 3, game 8 against Hawaii. I'm controlling my SO MLB and on the first play of the game I play shallow and get a pick.

3 int and a fumb rec with 0:55 left in the first quarter. only up 10-0 though.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-21-2006, 05:51 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 1
Controlling the MLB Successfully

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan
Geez! I went back into my formerly coach mode Fresno State dynasty in year 3, game 8 against Hawaii. I'm controlling my SO MLB and on the first play of the game I play shallow and get a pick.

3 int and a fumb rec with 0:55 left in the first quarter. only up 10-0 though.
Tell me more.
Old 09-21-2006, 06:00 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

NoleFan's Arena

Re: Controlling the MLB Successfully

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimOttoFan
Tell me more.
I quit the game and took the disc out of the xbox. I let them tie at 10. That was cool until I fumble the ensuing kr. It happened the exact same way in the last game I tried to play. I was up, let them tie, fumbled the kr.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »