Home

hb tosses or sweeps

This is a discussion on hb tosses or sweeps within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-16-2006, 02:07 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 6
hb tosses or sweeps

Anybody got any advice on how to get pitches or sweeps to work more often? seems like as soon as I get the ball most of the time dl or lb is in the backfield blowing up play. I'm not playing on that hard of difficulty either all american def awr 65 run blk 40 rb abil 50. Don't want to bump up run blocking sliders because then inside running will be to easy. right now it seems good for me. any tips would be appreciated. loving this game
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-16-2006, 02:16 AM   #2
Rookie

mierk's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: hb tosses or sweeps

I use coach mode so I'm not sure how appropriate this will be for you. But I do probably 80% of my running between the tackles -- dives, slams, counters, isos. I think you have to make the computer respect the inside running game in order to open up the tosses and sweeps later on. Even then, you've gotta have a fast tailback in order to make it work. You won't make your living trying to break tackles on a toss or sweep play, just because as soon as your momentum to the outside is slowed down the pursuit will catch up, so you need someone who can get to the corner in a hurry and start going upfield rather than sideways. When my offense is at it's best, I'm still only calling maybe 5-7 outside runs a game, the rest of the time I'm pounding it up inside.

I would be curious to hear people talk about what formations they are successful running to the outside on. I mostly go with I formation or ace, anything where the TB is the standard 7 yards deep directly behind the QB. Are sweeps more successful in the spread offense, or in the wishbone/flexbone, or a pro formation with the TB and FB split in the backfield?
Old 10-16-2006, 02:33 AM   #3
Rookie

Wolfeye's Arena

OVR: 2

I've had a lot of luck with Lead toss in I form. 3 lead blockers ftw. Moreso than a fast HB, you need fast lineman, with good AWR. Otherwise they wont get to the blocks, or react in time to make them.
Old 10-16-2006, 05:54 AM   #4
Hall Of Fame

NoleFan's Arena

OVR: 22

I think you should also take into account the type of back you have. There are 3 types: speed, power and balanced. I've noticed that I like balanced and power guys more for an inside running attack and speed guys for the outside running attack. Furthermore, take into account their base D. If they're a 4-3 based D for instance, conditions are in your favor for outside running. If they're a 3-4 based D, you should be able to pound it on 'em....no question. Against a 3-4 base, even with a speed back you'll get some yards inside. I tend to pay more attention to their type rather than some of they're individual ratings. If I've got a power back who happens to have a speed in the 90s, I'm still gonna call plays for a power back and it will all work out in the end.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:38 AM   #5
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

I tend to avoid toss plays as well since I see too many zero to negative yardage plays. I haven't run the option much either but I don't have an elite scrambling QB to really make it work.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-16-2006, 09:18 AM   #6
Rookie

halltheway's Arena

OVR: 1

I play mostly coach mode also, I have actually found the toss much more useful then it has been in the past. It's all about the match ups, I tend to look for a D that is in man and move my WR out of the way. If the match up is not favorable or the overload the side your going I use the formation audible to get out of the pitch. Generally if you think that it does not have a chance, it won't.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:28 AM   #7
MVP

Rainey's Arena

OVR: 16

For the toss play to be effective, you have to treat it like real life. The best times a toss play can be used when the inside linebackers come in on inside blitzes. This takes those guys out of the play and won't have to be blocked by your pulling guard or full-back. Thus, the Guard and FB can focus on the outside linebacker and safety. If your receiver(s) can hold their blocks long enough on the DB's you can usually break for a +20 yard gain.

However, if your opponents like to play it safe or only blitz from the outside your toss will not work. So, if you see the outside blitz or that the inside linebackers are staying back, just audible into a quick run dive and fight for the tough yards. Tosses should be "special plays" not anything really based in your regular offense.
Old 10-16-2006, 03:21 PM   #8
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44

Tosses/Sweeps don't work that often in real life, so I'm fine w. them not working much in the game. I've played just shy of 100 games in my dynasty and I think I've called less than a dozen toss/sweeps.

Football videogames took a big step forward five or six years ago when the finally stopped letting you cheese and run sweeps all game long, get to the outside and murder the opposition. I remember in Madden '01 in my dynasty I was Miami and got Corey Dillion a few years in and got 728 yards rushing in one game cause of the pro-form sweep. Stupid stuff, but then again part of it was my fault for repeatidly calling the same play and abusing it.

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »