Home

Base Formation

This is a discussion on Base Formation within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: What Base Defensive Formation do you prefer?
4-3 39 63.93%
3-4 13 21.31%
3-3-5 9 14.75%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-24-2006, 12:57 PM   #1
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75
Base Formation

What base formation would you prefer to play with? I usually employ the 4-3 as my base defense. I tried to run the 3-4 in my first game this year and got run all over. Its my fault since I'm not used to it or the plays involved but I'm quickly switching back to my 4-3 despite my depth and talent at LB. For those that do use the 3-4, how do you find stopping the run?

Edit: Use the 3-3-5 vote if you prefer the 4-2-5 formation (5 DB vote).

Last edited by rudyjuly2; 10-24-2006 at 03:25 PM. Reason: other option
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-24-2006, 01:07 PM   #2
Rookie

capone2117's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: Base Formation

To stop the run with the 3-4, you must have a strong DT...also you need to plug the holes with your lb's, which in turn, causes you to blitz more often than with a base 4-3...that is pretty much the only way those iso's and between the tackles runs will be stopped...
Old 10-24-2006, 02:21 PM   #3
MVP

bgeno's Arena

OVR: 18

I use a 4-2-5... where is that? C'mon.

Problem with the 4-2-5 and 3-3-5 is in the base sets the free safety never moves from the huddle... so he's like 2 yards behind the linebackers (at least this is the case in the current gen). So in the 4-2-5, I run the Over version.
Old 10-24-2006, 02:24 PM   #4
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgeno
I use a 4-2-5... where is that? C'mon.
Sorry! Just vote 3-3-5 then (we'll call it 5 DB package). I don't think I can edit that.
Old 10-24-2006, 03:23 PM   #5
Rookie

eskimo's Arena

OVR: 3

I run a 3-3-5 in a very bend don't break sort of scheme, I prefer it over a 4-2-5 because I don't like my options with it; plus I prefer better play against the pass rather than the run. 4-3, I'm not fussed one way or the other but I hate the 3-4.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-24-2006, 04:06 PM   #6
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

Michigan plays a 4-3 for me. I'm just starting year 2010 and my D-line has been a monster every year so I can't help but to go 4-3. I also go with a 4-4 any time that the offense has 2 TEs in the game. I get burned for the occassional deep pass, but I'm usually near the top of the NCAA in run defense.

North Carolina has been a 4-3 for me as well, but I think I'm going to play try a 3-4 this year as I've got some good talent at LB and my DL is pretty weak this year (especially my #2 DT). I think it'd be a nice change as well.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:17 PM   #7
MVP

TWOSILK's Arena

OVR: 19

i use the 3-4 defense, but you MUST have a monster dt, and be willing to control him all game, you have to force the offense to use two people to block your dt, which in turn frees up the backers to make plays, if the computer controls your dt, be prepared to run after running backs all game. also you have to have run stoppers in the middle, and have speed at the outside, to properly run a 3-4 you have to recruit for it, and it takes about 3 years to get the right personnel in place.
Old 10-25-2006, 01:32 AM   #8
Pro

BiggestKJ's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWOSILK
i use the 3-4 defense, but you MUST have a monster dt, and be willing to control him all game, you have to force the offense to use two people to block your dt, which in turn frees up the backers to make plays, if the computer controls your dt, be prepared to run after running backs all game. also you have to have run stoppers in the middle, and have speed at the outside, to properly run a 3-4 you have to recruit for it, and it takes about 3 years to get the right personnel in place.
I personally use a 4-3 defense and recruit speed above all with my LB's. The four defensive lineman allow my linebackers to make a play on runs. Using the 3-4, I always find the guards making plays on my linebackers causing their tailbacks to have a better chance at the gain.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »