Home

HOW DO U THROW DEEP!

This is a discussion on HOW DO U THROW DEEP! within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-02-2006, 01:19 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 3
HOW DO U THROW DEEP!

it seems like i can never complete a deep pass... a defender is always there even on man to man 1 on 1 my reciever will never get open and it will be incomplete or int

im on 360 btw
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-02-2006, 08:05 PM   #2
We Here

Hassan Darkside's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: HOW DO U THROW DEEP!

Depends on where you throw it I guess. Sometimes you'll have to push the analog stick forward while you throw to lead your receiver down the field if he's infront of the DB. But if the DB's infront of him, you might need to under throw it a little bit. It also helps if you control your receiver too. Slow him down while you're running if your pass isn't very good to make sure the DB doesn't get out infront of you and deflect it. Or if you lob it, control your WR and try to position him right infront of the DB so you can go up and try to make the catch with good position.

Edit: Also look for mismatches, like if you have your WR being covered by a LB. But manual catching might be your best bet.
Old 12-02-2006, 08:22 PM   #3
Rookie

GoDawgs211's Arena

OVR: 3

Also try running playaction because that is how some teams are able to throw the deep ball in real life.

So try throwing pa wheel routes to the slots or streaks to the outside receivers.
Old 12-02-2006, 08:24 PM   #4
All Star

SuperBowlNachos's Arena

OVR: 21

Try lobbing the ball. A friend of mine was wondering why he couldnt throw deep, and it was because he was doing bullets deep downfield.
Old 12-03-2006, 08:11 AM   #5
Rookie

punchy7080's Arena

OVR: 1

you have to call the right play against the right coverage. you also have to players that are talented enough to throw and catch the pass. in other words, if you have 75 OVR rated QB and WR and you are throwing into cover 4 out of a dime package, you aren't going to complete many long passes
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-03-2006, 10:10 AM   #6
Rookie

You need to work on your touch and vision with deep balls. Try this in practice mode:

Give your offense the Balanced Pass playbook. Make sure the defense has the standard 4-3 playbook.

As offense, select I-Form -> PA Boot.
As defense, select Random Form under 4-3.

Your receiver on your right(Z) is going to run a fly route, while your receiver on your left runs a crossing route(X).

Before your hike the ball, watch for any defense adjustments that might give away Cover 1 or blitzes of any sort. If you notice the FS pull up to cover someone (probably your TE), then you know you've probably got Z with single coverage.

Now, when you snap the ball, watch both the SS and FS do their thing. On a normal Cover 2 Man defense, both SS and FS will drop back into a deep zone preventing most long balls. But! If you see the FS come down to either blitz, drop into a short zone, or man cover your TE, then you've got a pretty good chance that your Z receiver is in single coverage.

Now the play action is important, because if the defenses corner sucks, he may just bite on the PA leaving a good bit of field in front of your Z receiver. But wait! We need to glance over to see what the SS is doing. If the defense called Cover 1, then the FS is man, the MLB is zone, and the SS is zone. But the SS Zone normally pulls to the right side of the field. If the SS drops into zone, you've got a pretty small window to shoot the ball out of. You can bullet it in if you don't trust your receiver, or you can lob the ball (tap the button) over the receivers right shoulder thereby diminishing the SS's effect on your Z receiver.

The reason we chose Random Form is that way you can practice quickly identifying coverages. So, if they are in Cover 2 Man and you don't feel like challenging the safety, you've got your X receiver on a crossing and I think you've got your TE out there as well. Thats going through your progressions.

Practice!

Last edited by BrianDubau; 12-03-2006 at 10:13 AM.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:37 AM   #7
Pro

FAIRDALE_KINGS's Arena

OVR: 13

Why is it that to solve the problem of throwing the deep ball you have to trick the defense by running play-action. This is an absurd concept. I play on XBL and all you see is Play Action passing. I actually have played people that have run nothing but Play-Action passes exclusively.

How many teams do you know run play-action pass every single passing down. This guy is searching for answers on how to throw the deep ball and the answer is to trick the defense by running play-action.

Does this seem like a problem to anyone else but me?

I use the University of Louisville with Brian Brohm and have a 6'6 wide receiver named "Super" Mario Urrutia and still have problems with the deep ball in one-on-one coverage versus either the safety or cornerback. Yes, I still throw for over 350 yards a game online but I refuse to use Play-Action passes to generate offense. I throw crossing routes, posts, corner routes, and quick passes to the flats to get my yards. Occasionally, I can throw the deep ball but those are few and far between.
Old 12-03-2006, 12:41 PM   #8
Rookie

I used the PA play as an example for him to get used to reading coverages. It's a good way to practice not because it's a "money" play, but because it kinda forces the QB to make the drop and allows the user to get into a rhythm on when to throw.

Snap -> Fake -> Drop -> Throw

When the user gets comfortable with reading coverages on PA passes, it can then be translated to standard non-PA passes.

On a side note: I've noticed that when receivers are in single coverage, the Z receiver is almost always more likely to catch a deep pass than the X receiver. Kinda of reminds me of the left handed home run glitch in MVP....

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »