Home

This is what we need!

This is a discussion on This is what we need! within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-14-2007, 04:22 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 5
This is what we need!

Ok, ive been quiet about this game for a while, NCAA 07 was the first game i got when i bought my Xbox 360 and i didnt think it was that bad... but this is what i want to see! (and this also kind of goes for Madden also)

NEW RIVALRY SYSTEM - I understand what teams are rivals. Theres no need for a Rival logo next to the game, if when you play the actual game... Its no different then a regular season game. Lets add new cut scene's of players jawing at one another, pushing shoving, after wistle, frustration, make it feel more than just an average game, only found in a rivalry game. It means more than just a game, make us see that.

WR IQ SYSTEM - I need better WR play. When i need 7 yards, and i make my WR run a cutback, and he hits the 7th yard, i dont want him running up 5 yards to catch it ball and give me a gain of 2. This happens all the time. I want to see a WR hit a Mark, and plop down. Put your hands if your open, if the play breaks down, then the WR can add lib like they do in NCAA 07. But i needa WR to hit his mark and stay there. (they did a better job of this in current gen versions). Sometimes, i think madden and ncaa have too much movement to a football game...everyone seems to feel the need to move and never stop running, from the blocking to the WR to the CB, and thats not really football. I want to see people drop down, have a SS slowly creep over the top, not sprint over there.

RB EQ SYSTEM - First off, better running animations. Sometimes, players running just seems werid and choppy. I want to see more movement from the RB. Get skinny, real skinny, go to a lower base, protect coming out the whole and run threw, Change directions, shift, hop step, duck the shoulder, go under, over the top, arch his body away from an arm tackle.....and yes, get in trouble (BUT, not get caught behind a lineman and just run in place!!!!). Pound in the back of a blocker, slip, fight threw, get mualled by a group of lineman.... but dont just run in place. HOOK ON A BLOCKER - Grab a Lineman and follow him. Control the RB and the Blocker in front of him. (not lead blocker control, link the players together, move right, they both move right) RB in football do this all the time, they will often grab onto the back of a blockers jersey and creep behind him. Once you find a block, the RB will unlock. And this goes for all runners with the ball (even QB's.. IE: Vince Young), just natural fluid running.... SPIN, DIVE, JUKE, STIFF ARM are great... but i want to see this stuff done with just the joystick (LS). Pressure sensitive running, depending on position of the joystick and movement (sort of like ISO-Motion in NBA 2K series... i shouldn't have to press a button to protect the ball, unless i feel i really have too and my RB isn't doing it for me). So you and you RB can make mistakes! This is real running, uncertianty, breakdowns, not just sprint and sprint harder. There are more than 2 speeds when running the football.

Better blocking, make a whole or at least try too. I want to see something that maybe looked like a whole every play. It gets filled fast, its small, its big, whatever, but we should notice it, in the place it's supposed to be, almost every play!

BETTER ANIMATION - Not as monkey like or hunchback. Too big of shoulders, too skinny of legs. I want to see more filled bodys. (sort of like the first Madden on PS2, the big phat bodys, just not as fat). The fields are great and the crowd is fine, i mean, the cut scenes could be better with the crowd, but as for when your playing the game, it doesnt matter, we shouldn't be able to see all 30,000 people in the stands, it should be fuzzy to us, as long as the animation on the field is sharper. Better, way better lighting, some spots are too dark and some spots are too light... on the same exact field. Its a great tool, but sometimes is too drastic.

EASY MENU SCREEN - Someone also said this on here i think. But It seems like im pressing a lot of buttons to see who the starting QB is at USC. Its hard to move around and go back.

IN GAME HELP SCREEN (Help Ticker) - Great.. Just HELP me turn it off.

PRE PLAY MOVEMENT - Better movement. I dont want them thinking im in man coverage the whole game, less computer movement, sometimes the computer puts my players out of position, not me. Better line up too, When there is a slot WR, and the CPU puts my outside linebacker over there (when im in zone, and hes covering the flat) the CPU just kinda sets him out there somewhere, and it looks almost like hes doubling up on the outside WR. Line up with the slot, if were showing man. i want to see then play the slot, play the man inside, outside, cat, back, up, whatever, just better set up by the CPU.

Audibles are too fast. I want to see a WR jog to the other side, take time to set in position, Different signals by the QB for each audible, indecision by players, not sure where they line up, but end up going in the right spot, some lineman looks back at QB (Colts and Peyton Manning to do it all the time). just different and slower motions before the snap. (unless playcock is running out, but hey, i wouldnt mind if they didnt not notice sometimes either, thats football).

Same with defense, better movement before the snap and with audibles. CB and saftey slowly shift, change position, creep up creep back, more fake blitz, come up and go back (sometimes, go back, then really come) from corners, safteys, and especially linebackers. players telling players to move over, agian, maybe some indecision and re-set.

BETTER THROW ANIMATIONS - Some are just awful, when i look right, and throw back left, it looks like im throwing straight to my coach and the football comes out of the side of my body. Better animation, the QB should have his front foot faced where the ball is going to go. And step up and into it, throw off the back foot, throw side arm, movement in the pocket.

I have a feeling these football games could be amazing if they just slow the pace down and concentrate on movement and animations. There should be 5 or more speeds a player should move, walk, creep, jog, run, sprint, ect. Slow the pace of Sprint all game down and continue focusing on graphics and animation, and this will look like a much more fluid football game. Focus on communication with the players, tackling, arm tackles, body movments, catching movements, running styles, the more animations the more natural this game will look. Slow the game down and make these small details noticeable and we can get closer to a great football game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-14-2007, 11:04 PM   #2
All Star

SuperBowlNachos's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: This is what we need!

Official NCAA 2008 Wishlist (Xbox 360)
Old 04-22-2007, 04:02 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 7

Couldn't agree more with your animations comments.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:34 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

You nailed it man, what a great post. However one thing that is kind of difficult to put into words that NCAA needs is ......FUN! The game I speak of is the 360 version. It just feels so generic. It needs personality. It needs more excitement and the players need to have more individuality. I'm not entirely sure what can be done but if you play the PS2 version it just "feels" more like a "anything can happen" atmosphere whereas in the 360 version it feels so much like you're seeing the same plays and players again and again without much variety.

To get an idea of what I'm talking about, for you old timers, remember Tecmo Bowl? That game had all kinds of fun factor about it. The game had so much personality and all the players really felt a lot different to use (even though they really were the same player with a slightly different look). Maybe they just need to hire someone from the old Tecmo Bowl team, LOL...I dunno but they need to do something.

And as someone said, a lot if comes back to presentation as well. Upping the presentation, as talked about in the original post which said players perhaps shoving one another a bit, jawing with each other, maybe some players occasionally not being able to hear the call (from PS2 game), and those sorts of things would make the game feel "more alive". Right now it just feels like a bunch of cloned zombies walking around out there doing the same thing again and again. It's technically a good game but something is quite clearly missing.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »